Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a joint account

Options
  • 14-11-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

How is this normally done? It would be preferable if we do not need to meet / present ourselves at bank etc.

Note: there are no proceeds in one account and small proceeds in another. There is no dispute over the money or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It would probably require a letter, signed by you both in order to be closed. Is there an intermediary who could obtain the other signature if you can't/won't meet the other party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Not really. I suppose I could ask my solicitor to send a letter / form / some other authority and ask for it to be sent back to her on my behalf.

I might just try writing to the bank and saying I want to close it. If you are supposed to be 'jointly and severally' responsible for the account, then I just supposed that if one partie opts out, the bank would be irresponsible if they did not shut the acount altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd be surprised if they'll do anything but reply saying "please send us something signed by both parties" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

i used to work in a bank and deal with this kind of thing...
    it all depends on what you specified when you opened the account...
    if in the file its specified that it requires the 2 authorised sigs then thats the only way they'll close it,
    they wont just close the account if one of the parties writes in...
    there's the question of who does the money go to in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why don't you each send seperate letters of authorization to the bank at the same time?
    Each letter could detail your joint wishes for the disbursements of the funds involved.
    Both of you request half of the joint funds to be paid to your account, give details, and authorize the bank to pay the other half as directed by the other party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement