Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solved one problem only for another one to crop up

• 14-11-2005 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

following on from leak in soil pipe post which we solved by replacing the bend

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318376

now a week later another problem emerges:(

now in the upstairs ensuite connected into same soil pipe we are getting very bad smell of sewage seems to be coming up from my drain.we get the same smell in front room where waste pipes from shower sink are connected into toilet waste pipe.

i have opened up the remaining walls/ceiling areas where joints are made into soil pipe to check to see if we moved/cracked the joints whilst cutting into soil pipe but no visible leaks found

next tried drain cleaner down shower /sink and toilet and flushed it out next morning with boiling water but smell still there

also dont know if this is related but recently i noticed a gurgling sound when draining sink water

no noticeable gurgling sound when using toilet or shower

as always Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It sounds like the waste traps are syphoning off each other, depending on how many and how they are plumbed you may have too many waste pipes draining into the soil stack for the air pressure available.

How does the stack terminate ? inside through the roof, or a roof or ridge tile vent ?

Are the waste pipes teed off each other or all going to the stack and bossed in seperately ?

There are a few reasons for this happening one being not enough air pressure in the stack, the soil stack does more than just allow smells escape, some of the newer houses have a standard 100 mm pipe that is reduced in the attic and vented in some very strange ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Is there a waste bend on the shower and is it possible that when it's idle for a few days the water evaporates and leaves a path for the gasses to release. Also, is there a sufficient vent to allow air in for sufficient flow. It might be worth filling the sinks and shower with water to see if the smell disappears. An air admittance valve may help as it would allow air in one way to help increase waste flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

thanks guys

this problem has only recently emerged so i assumed it was related to the other issue, maybe not

@ rooferpete

this soil pipe serves the ensuite only so just shower and sink which are seperately connected into the pipe

the pipe terminates through the roof, it is 100mm all way and then there is flexible piping going out to roof, the last section of the joint in the attic is easy to take off which i did to check for any blockage in the flexihousing but none

@stapeler

yes there is waste bend on shower, how is air admittance valve fitted?

will try filling up sink and shower tray (once i figure out way of blocking up shower tray)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

I not sure if this helps but here are two possibilites, both of which i have encountered in seperate house and both with same symtoms.

1st House
    Problem - Very bad gasey smell coming form shower/ stack pipe.
    Cause- The stack pipe ran up the middle of the house to where the ensuite shower and toilet were, but stopped at first floor level with a cap stuck on top.

Reason - this stack pipe should run up through the attic and should be vented to allow this smell to vent and also to stop syphoning.

Solution
    Temporary- Opened up wall where the cap was fitted (the cap had come off) and replaced it.

Proper Solution - extend stack pipe into attic and vent through vent tile.

2nd House.
    Problem - Bad gasey smell and gargeling when flushing.

Cause- After trying everything, realised the main sewer outside was blocked and hence water was finding it hard to drain away(gargeling) and hence the smell. (all pipes were block as the main one was blocked)

Solution- Professional Drain cleaners to unblock the sewer.

These are just two things that have happened me. Hopefull they might help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi oneillK,

We were called to a similar problem, actual sewerage in the shower, drains were checked and everything rodded through except at one point where a conservatory had been built.

The system was OK for about a week and happened again, the builder had gone on holiday and his right hand man didn't install the extension to the drains because he thought the shorter run was better.

Fair play to the Capitalist Cash Grabbing *#$^<>? Builder :) we met at the job and he could see straight away his instructions were not followed and took up a solid timber floor, the concrete floor, ran the soil pipe as it should have been done, replaced everything exactly as it should have been, on top of which he paid our bill and gave the customer a dinner for two in a very nice restaurant.

There's not many small builders like him so I thought in the interest of trying to tip the balance back a little he was worth mentioning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Hi again. The air admittance valve is just a one way valve that looks mushroom shaped. It has a 40mm wavin connector so you can use a reducer or a strap on to the 4 inch wavin pipe. The idea is that when the toilet is flushed and there isn't sufficient air getting into the system a vacuum is created. The vacuum opens the valve allowing air in. I dont know if it will resolve your problem but might help improve flow.

Advertisement