Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL [keeps d/c]

• 14-11-2005 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I had wireless setup a while back, i got rid of that zyles and got a wireless netgear router , a while ago i started noticing that the net just stops working, the signal aswell sometimes goes, so i checked downstairs and i think the connection sometimes stops working.

noticed the login changed from iolbb to xxx@btbb recently or something similar.
    my routers still in the old setting, anyone have any similar problems?

p.s: i have all the filters in all phone ports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I used to have this problem as did my parents. I called tech support a few times but they spouted the usual rubbish, "Is your garden south facing?" "That would explain it so."

Never got a solution to it. Changed to NTL in both premsis, works a treat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well it WAS working fine, i have to go downstairs each time this happens and reconnect the power into the router, so im not sure if its the router or not[sounds more like it loses the connection and then doesnt reconnect], il try install everything again i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Placebo wrote:
    i have to go downstairs each time this happens and reconnect the power into the router

If a simple cable reconnection for the DSL doesnt fix it it might be your router.
    Can you log into it when the connection goes? Can u ping it?
    Can you do a reset on the Router?

Realisticaly if its the line then reconnecting it should fix it.
    If rebooting the router solves it then its probably the router.
    Logical yet effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

This happens to me all the time. I get disconnected from irc multiple times and the net just stops working from time to time. It's not that big of a problem as it only usually lasts a little while and turning my router (Zyxel dealy) off and back on usually fixes it. Still though its kinda annoying.

Weird thing is though that if the net/irc/p2p all stop working, I can still play games like Halflife and UT. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like a router problem. When the net connection drops, can you still ping the router? If you can't then either it's a dodgy router or somethings interfeering with the signal. Since it's wireless, have you tried keeping the router nearer the computer, maybe put it on a high stool or tape it to the ceiling above the phone socket or similar, just for a while to see if it's the distance.

FunkyChicken, have you the Zyxel connected by USB or ethernet. I've had two of these routers and had no problems on ethernet connection, but had no end of gripe with the USB connection on one of them. Kept disconnecting from the web all the time. Switched to ethernet then and it was fine. I've read in many places that these are very cheap and nasty routers (crap) but I think they're fine. Simple, but good none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Also if the net stops working but other net connections are ok then its a port issue.
    Try setting the zyxel to bridged and use a windows pppoe client to connect!

Advertisement