Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anti-freeze

Options
  • 14-11-2005 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

How much should you put in a car?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The coolant/water ratio is often about 40/60 percent
    Whats in the owners manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

According to the manual the coolant total is 6L.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For Irelands conditions a 50/50 mix is plenty.

Beware that some types of coolant cannot be mixed.. I'm no expert but there are different types, I was just told to be careful about this

JohnCleary wrote:
    Beware that some types of coolant cannot be mixed.. I'm no expert but there are different types, I was just told to be careful about this
    Do you mean the pre-mixed coolants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yep, coolants/antifreezes are a bit more complicated than they look and there are various types and specs. It is likely that not all of these are compatible with each other.

First of all they can be propylene or ethylene glycol (usually the latter) Secondly they can contain borates, phosphates, silicates, or organic acids etc. for corrosion protection. Thirdly they can come premixed or in concentrate form which must be diluted down with distilled water.
    I'd say the majority of coolants on the market these days are probably ethylene glycol/organic acid types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

... What he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I love the electric blue stuff, they should make Lava lamps with it! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kbannon wrote:
    Do you mean the pre-mixed coolants?
    strange signature kbannon, who is that? and is it just me or does everyone shiver when they see that? no offense or anything intended just commenting.

lomb wrote:
    strange signature kbannon, who is that? and is it just me or does everyone shiver when they see that? no offense or anything intended just commenting.
    I was going to use the pic below but thought it would be confusing [and not much use now that boards has been updated!]
    boards_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats Mr Creosote from Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.

He explodes in a posh resturant. You should'nt laugh, but will.

A lot. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Sometimes, there's a wa-ff-er thin line between good and bad taste sick0006.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    He explodes in a posh resturant

Maitre D: And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint.

Mr Creosote: No.

Maitre D: Oh sir! It's only a tiny little thin one.

Mr Creosote: No. **** off - I'm full... [Belches]

Maitre D: Oh sir... it's only wafer thin.

Mr Creosote: Look - I couldn't eat another thing. I'm absolutely stuffed. Bugger off.

Maitre D: Oh sir, just... just one...

Mr Creosote: Oh all right. Just one.

Maitre D: Just the one, sir... voila... bon appetit...
    [Mr Creosote somehow manages to stuff the wafer-thin mint into his mouth and then swallows. The Maitre D takes a flying leap and cowers behind some potted plants. There is an ominous splitting sound. Mr Creosote looks rather helpless and then he explodes, covering waiters, diners, and technicians in a truly horrendous mix of half digested food, entrails and parts of his body. People start vomiting.]
    Maitre D: [returns to Mr Creosote's table] Thank you, sir, and now the check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A classic Monty Python moment! :)

Advertisement