Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up is killing me, some advice please.

• 14-11-2005 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Ok mods I know this is the Broadband forum but my thread is about the cost of Dial-up and I need another alternative to my expensive provider as I need it as part of my Satellite BB setup.

Ok I don’t have DSL broadband over the copper. But I have Skydsl 1-way satellite broadband. This is costing me €16.99 per month including vat, and I get a 1GB download allowance with that, and if I go over it, every extra MB costs 1.5¢ each. I have started to use the Internet much more often since I go sat bb. As a result of this I got a nasty surprise today when I received my telephone & dial-up Internet bill from Eircom. I am on the flat rate 25 package and that is costing €9.99 incl VAT per month I have however vastly exceeded that limit, and I ranked up €41.77 ex VAT excess Internet charges outside the flat rate limit. My total dial-up bill was €70.52 including VAT. Then add my Skydsl bill to it €33.98 for two months @ €16.99 a month and my whole Internet bill came to €104.50 for the last two months. Scrapping Skydsl is not on the agenda until DSL broadband or some other internet service is available that is cost affective and doesn’t require Dial-up. Wireless broadband is not available in my area and from what I hear about IBB it’s rubbish anyway. The only other non-dial-up broadband is two-way satellite and that is super expensive. Costing about a grand to install and roughly €100per month. What I need is away to cut the cost of Dialing-up by at least 50%. Can anyone recommend any telephone companies that could slash my dial-up costs ? I am getting good value on my non-internet calls so ideally I’d like to move my Internet calls only from Eircom. UTV were my proffered choice one time but they would not offer me dial-up unless I moved my calls too. I spent over 80 hrs on the Internet during the last two months and 30 of those were outside my Flat rate 25 packages on super-expensive normal dial-up rate ranging from 1¢ to 5¢ per min depending on when I’m online. I often wondered and is it just me are the telephone companies delaying BB rollout so they can rip-off the consumer with savagely expensive dial-up products.

Anyway advice on how to cut my dial-up costs would be greatly appreciated by me and my wallet.

Comments

Advertisement