Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who enforces the DL limits and what happens if you go over?

• 14-11-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Like it says on the tin! Which companies enforce the download limits and what punishment is meted out on the offenders?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can tell you from experience that UTV enforce their caps and will charge you for whatever you go over it by. Partly why I left em tbh!

They do have an option on the page you log into to check your statements to choose between this and being cut off until the month resets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I've been told Eircom don't enforce, anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Eircom don't afaik :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

As far as I can see, most ISPs treat their limits purely as a deterrent to abusers - they're hardly going to hunt you down for going a few hundred megs over from time to time. It's the people that would be leeching constantly all month every month that they want to stop in their tracks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've been with Eircom a year, well over every month, never a word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've been way over my limit with BT for the 5 or 6 months and haven't heard anything. From reading here, the only ISP to charge has been UTV, and they've been doing that since the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BT dont seem too bothered if you go a couple of GB over your CAP every month as long as you dont take the total piss!!!

Fair play on them not acting like that other British company, UTV, and sucking every possible cent from your pocket.

Went to about 56GB downloaded in a month a couple of months back and have never got any big surprises!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

zuma wrote:
    BT dont seem too bothered if you go a couple of GB over your CAP every month as long as you dont take the total piss!!!

Fair play on them not acting like that other British company, UTV, and sucking every possible cent from your pocket.

Went to about 56GB downloaded in a month a couple of months back and have never got any big surprises!!!

I suspect this is due to BT's incompetence. They more than likely have no means of informing a user that they are close to their limit like UTV do and they can't just go charging people for going over the limit without warning.

I'm not praising UTV btw, their automated warning email will tell you you have 2gb left and then the very next day, after not even using it, you're all of a sudden over the limit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I suspect this is due to BT's incompetence. They more than likely have no means of informing a user that they are close to their limit like UTV do and they can't just go charging people for going over the limit without warning.

I'm not praising UTV btw, their automated warning email will tell you you have 2gb left and then the very next day, after not even using it, you're all of a sudden over the limit!

Very doubtfull!

If BT wanted to charge you dont they think they could implement such a system?
    The BT group is after all tens of times larger than UTV as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

considering BT provide this information to UTV I'm fairly certain they could send it to their customers if they chose to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

from what uve heard its only utv that charge you for everything you go over while the others wouldnt do much unless you downloaded a serious amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Seems to only be major offenders who get slapped for it.
    I remember Netsource throttled connections so ppl could call in and be told to relax on the downloading :) those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Good question.

I don't think NTL do... I have a 40gig download limit.

I think i went over it after 30 mins online.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rodster

Just to follow up on the people who say that BT don't charge, I've just got a massive bill out of the blue from them.
    I've had pretty steady usage from the start of my term with them (6 months - this is my 3rd bill), the first 2 were about the €60 for 2 months mark, and this one just jumped to €154. 30c of which is phone charges, the rest all internet.

Looking through the small print, BT reserve the right to charge you €30/GB over, and I think they've charged me every penny! (I can't tell though, as the bill doesn't give usage figures, just the Euro amount). Seems a pretty steep charge relative to their basic charges...

I didn't get one warning phone call or email though. And this bill only goes as far as September. I expect my october usage was just as big, but of course, I can't tell, as my usage summary hasn't shown anything since Sept 14th.

While this charge is within their terms and conditions, I don't think it would have killed them to send out an email! And certainly not fair to let me go 4 months with similar usage, and then only to slap on the charge for the next 2.

And, not that it makes a difference to their billing dept, I'd say most of my downloading was between midnight and 7 am.

I'm going to ring and complain, but can't say I'm too hopeful...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good question.

I don't think NTL do... I have a 40gig download limit.

I think i went over it after 30 mins online.....
    40 gigs in half an hour? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lol he must have one hell of a connection

Advertisement