Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ALDI Have the GPS this week !!

Options
  • 14-11-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Just FYI ALDI have this unit up for sale again from Thursday I believe € 350 !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bluetonic wrote:

Saw it there as well, but would be interested to see what the folks in this forum think of them - are the maps actually any good for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

so anyone got any opinions on how good this is ????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From what i hear from Germany, the aldi system seems to be good value ...problem is that AFAIK Ireland has yet to be mapped beyond the main routes ... so kinda pointless, really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

The Aldi unit uses Navteq data which is fairly up-to-date....but not the greatest...I was recently using AutoRoute 2006 (which also uses Navteq data) and it tries to bring you the wrong way around Stephens Green.
    Other than that....the data is fairly okay with most N routes covered & some R routes

• Advertisement

whats it like for street names etc ?

This nearly looks like the same device here:
    http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/medion-mdpna-150.php

Would be interested to see how good the maps for Dublin and Ireland are...

Edit:
    NavTeq seems to be the only maps to use in Ireland, but they could still be the best of a bad lot. From this site:
    Ireland & GPS: Mapping Quality?
    Ireland lags behind other European countries in terms of GPS mapping. While most urban areas are well mapped there are significant gaps in rural areas with most GPS systems providing no coverage for minor roads. This situation is changing and by the end of 2006-early 2007 it should be possible to purchase map updates for GPS systems that will have full coverage for Ireland.

The GPS systems with the best coverage for Ireland at present are those that are based on Navteq mapping techology. This includes, for example, the full range of GPS automotive and PDA/PC products supplied by Garmin, Mitac products such as the Mio 168 PDA (but not the Mio 268+ nor Mio 269+), GPS software bundles from Alturion and Alk Technologies CoPilot Live 6 for PDA or smartphone. Navman and most TomTom GPS products are based on mapping supplied by Tele Atlas and therefore are not suitable for use in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I've used the Navteq based apps as well - the most recent one is fine for Dublin and Cork - within the city bounds - outside is a blank except for the MAJOR routes. A bit of coverage for Kilarney, Limerick etc. - it's brutal to be honest.

If you could get your hands on the older Route 66 2002 version they have all the minor roads around mapped - and a fair few place names - it's actually fairly good.
    I've rang them asking why the more recent versions don't have as good coverage - just blamed Navteq.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

the model for sale on thursday is the medion md 95900;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We got the Aldi one for work last time it was out. My comments are here:

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=24134&PN=1

• Advertisement

im going to try and get one tomorro . lets see if it will get me lost

elexes wrote:
    im going to try and get one tomorro . lets see if it will get me lost

If you get to the store without it, you may not need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

anyone manage to get one this morning? If you have and you now don't want it, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands

i got one . barely . i got the last one and just as i left saw the woman behind me eat the face off the poor girl at the counter cause they were all sold . o well

if i dont like it or it dosnt suit my needs ill give ya a shout tho i do like the look of it so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

So for anyone who has got one of these new toys and is wondering what can be done with them - you could do worse than do a spot of Geocaching. Have been doing it for nearly a year, and it's great fun, and a good way to see some of the most scenic places in your own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

fjon wrote:
    So for anyone who has got one of these new toys and is wondering what can be done with them - you could do worse than do a spot of Geocaching. Have been doing it for nearly a year, and it's great fun, and a good way to see some of the most scenic places in your own country.[/QUOTET

they were all sold out in galway by lunchtime! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

elexes wrote:
    i got one . barely . i got the last one and just as i left saw the woman behind me eat the face off the poor girl at the counter cause they were all sold . o well

if i dont like it or it dosnt suit my needs ill give ya a shout tho i do like the look of it so far .

was this in Tullamore by any chance?

ye tullamore 9:15

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

My CoPilot 5 with NavTeq maps has the whole of Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Full discussion on Navteq from earlier on this year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258397

• Advertisement
Advertisement