Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triumph Tiger 2006

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ninja900 wrote:
    Two fully fledged BMW bike dealers, yeah, but in theory at least, can't you order a bike from any BMW car dealer? I remember hearing Maxwell Motors were doing this, and probably others as well.

Maxwells used to be a BMW bike dealership, but they gave it up a couple of years ago. So there are only two. Joe Duffys and Maddocks (both based in Dublin). I think you can buy the F650 in BikeWorld though..

Would you really want to buy a bike from a car dealership? You'd want to double check that initial build!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Couldn't be any worse than some of the bike dealers I've been to! One einstein sent me out on the road with tyre pressures half what they should have been, the bike had been sitting in the dealers for months and it didn't cross their mind to pump the tyres up, wonder what else they didn't do...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

all this talk of tigers has really made me look into getting one to replace the transalp next year, damn you all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Got me a Tiger today :D

**** me I am so high off the feckin ground I can't believe it - man, they are tall bikes. I feel like I'm riding standing up all the time. Just took it real slow and easy while I figure it all out and break in the brakes, engine and tires etc. But it's totally different to my last bike (naked streetbike type thing). Really sounds good though and the engine just seemed to want to take off as soon as possible. Real vroom to it. Panniers look to be very good quality, happy with them. Seat seemed comfortable. Heated grips were roasting! Dashboard is a bit odd though. Coming home in the semi-darkness I couldn't read the figures at all, they were lit too bright it seemed. Probably get used to it and I can see the whereabouts of the actual "line" okay, that's the main thing. Biggest downer was that I forgot about switching the insurance so when I rang I had no choice but to accept the extra charges they hit me with in order to get the bike home okay. I went up two insurance groups was the thing. Pretty much cancelled out the discount I got for taking a 2005 bike. Oh, and I can't figure out the steering lock at all, just could not get the key to turn to the lock position.

But overall I'm impressed and happy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Congrats!

Did you get the "special" from Bikeworld with the alarm fitted? If so, I farted on your seat. :p

• Advertisement

Garibaldi wrote:
    Congrats!

Did you get the "special" from Bikeworld with the alarm fitted? If so, I farted on your seat. :p

er.... yes. It had an alarm fitted... :( Guess I better get the pressure hose out now and give the seat a good going over???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

real classy garibaldi :)

art, why did they charge you extra for not telling them, or was it that you had just forgotten altogether about ringing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Hey! It's not like I took a dump on it.......or did I? :cool:

On the insurance front, yeah I'd be curious to know if they charged you for not telling them. It's the same group as the GS, I think, but they still charge more for the Tiger because of some anomaly in their premium calculations. Something, allegedly, to do with the power of the bike, not value/cc. Bloody insurance...mumble, grumble...... :(

Anyway, happy riding Art. I'm trying not to be jealous, but it's not working out too well. Roll on the SSIA splurge..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well wear Art... Send on a piccie. Preferrably after you've hosed down the poo. :eek:

How much is your insurance?

You get used to the height very quicky.. Very handy it is too.. Just watch out for potholes when you're putting your feet down at traffic lights... and slippy gravel when you're reversing it (pesky gravel driveway has given me a few scares on the gs when my foot slipped, and I'm 6 ft).

Cheers folks!

Yeah, what I meant about the insurance was that I had rung AON and said I wanted to change bike when I first started thinking about the Tiger, told them what I was switching to and from and they said fine, but they would need frame number and reg so I said I'd ring when I got the detail from the dealer. They never mentioned an extra premium at all so I thought is was a fairly straight swap and just forgot about it.

But then when I rang yesterday from BikeWorld they hit me with "that will cost you an extra 500 euros" (this is compo insurance, I had already paid 810 on the group 9 bike). At that stage I needed to drive the new one home, would have to cancel the present policy and thus lose money if I was going to try out CN instead and so just gave in - bit pissed off they didn't quote me the extra premium though when I first made the inquiry. I would have had the chance then to see whether it was worth my while switching to CN or not etc.

The bike is definitely a mover though, I can kind of see why they rate it as a bigger risk, feels a lot "sportier" than the one I was on. I'm fecking 37 though and driving 10 years without a claim, and hardly a spill in that time either. So, basically, I think they're all bastards :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement