Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile virus

• 14-11-2005 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

I recently accpeted ( and also stupidly may i add) a bluetooth msg in a pub, thinking it was from a friend, when i downloaded the file my phone started to take it upon itself to send out blank multimedia msgs to random ppl in my phone book, i uninstalled the application but the problem contuines. I have since had to disable mms on my phone as it was costing to much. The file was a .sis file, so just a warning out there becareful. And wanted to know has anyone else had any similar experiences? I have nokia 6630. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was just in the canteen in work today and got a bluetooth message from someone

File called 02.. something
    it was a sis file but I have a SE K750i but did not chance accepting it.

Kinda surprised me that someone @ work would try that:eek:

Be warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Cheers opr. yeah its strange that someone wud do that to anyones fone. I am going to restore my phones factory settings now and see if it helps ill keep yas posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've seen a huge increase in the number of these going through mms systems
    quiet scary when you think about it

might do some good helping people realise what happens when their pc starts spamming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mik_da_man wrote:
    I was just in the canteen in work today and got a bluetooth message from someone

File called 02.. something
    it was a sis file but I have a SE K750i but did not chance accepting it.

Kinda surprised me that someone @ work would try that:eek:

Be warned

the virus automatically tries to send itself by bluetooth with a random filename

• Advertisement

the virus automatically tries to send itself by bluetooth with a random filename

Ah ok,

Makes me feel a bit better :)

Mik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Why do ye leave your bluetooth on when your not using it. I don't see any benefit. All that your doing is using up your battery charge faster and leaving yourselves prone to viruses:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Maybe they use a carkit or headset regularly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I have reset the factory settings on my phone and the problem seems to have stopped. I have now kept bluetooth off at all times. Thanks for the imput guys.

I do agree that people should be made more aware of these things, maybe it would also be handy if phone companys prvided virus software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can get anti-virus software for your Symbian phone.

I personally have Symantec anti-virus on my 6630. You can also get McAfee and even Spybot Search and Destroy Beta is now available for uiq phones.

• Advertisement

endplate wrote:
    Why do ye leave your bluetooth on when your not using it. I don't see any benefit. All that your doing is using up your battery charge faster and leaving yourselves prone to viruses:confused:

Mine is kept on cause i ues a headset quite a bit :p

Mik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Valentia wrote:
    I have reset the factory settings on my phone and the problem seems to have stopped. I have now kept bluetooth off at all times. Thanks for the imput guys.

I do agree that people should be made more aware of these things, maybe it would also be handy if phone companys prvided virus software.

restoring factory settings apparently doesn't stop it, i'd say its stopped because you're leaving bluetooth off. as far as i know the virus can't turn it on. try turning it on for a while around someone who has a bluetooth phone and check for sure if its gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

restoring factory settings apparently doesn't stop it, i'd say its stopped because you're leaving bluetooth off. as far as i know the virus can't turn it on. try turning it on for a while around someone who has a bluetooth phone and check for sure if its gone

I got a bluetooth(Nokia 6680) virus while i was in Spain a few weeks back and it left the message envelope on the screen permanently so I took it to the Vodafone store when i got back and he used a number to reset the phone to its original state and it totally erases everything you have from your phone so you need to be careful and make sure you back it up first and take out your memory card.

He got it from a booklet he had behind the counter and I have the code if you would like to PM me for it as I dont know whether I'll be allowed to post details here.:confused:

As far as i know the code you are talking about just restores factory settings (Set the phone to its original state)

opr wrote:
    As far as i know the code you are talking about just restores factory settings (Set the phone to its original state)

It sets the phone back to when you got it new and deletes everything in your phone which the factory reset does not...........

Give them a booklet and they all think they are experts :)

opr wrote:
    Give them a booklet and they all think they are experts :)

There's one smart a*** on every forum :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As I said before just get McAfee or Symantec Mobile Edition on your phone to protect it in future....

Advertisement