Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI Vs SDI?

Options
  • 14-11-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Wondering if you could help?
    what the differance between tdi and sdi? was looking to buy an '99/'00/'01 golf or bora and just wanted to know whats the differance between a golf/bora TDI and a golf/bora SDI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

TDI = Turbo Diesel Intercooler or Injection (not sure)
    SDI= Simple diesel I...

basically , no turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

PlayaFlow wrote:
    TDI = Turbo Diesel Intercooler or Injection (not sure)
    SDI= Simple diesel I...

basically , no turbo

Exactly,
    TDi - Turbo diesel
    SDi - No turbo
    There's only one to get, definately the tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

TDI = Turbo Diesel Injection, 90bhp and upwards depending on model. (You can tell by the red letters in the badge)

SDI = Standard Diesel Injection, 68bhp, sluggish in comparison - still a direct injection though. I have one at the moment and can't wait to get a TDI next year, I just have it for cheap insurance.

Get a GT TDI 130 bhp and you're laughin! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

faigs wrote:
    Get a GT TDI 130 bhp and you're laughin! :D

No the GT JTD has 150 bph :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

no get the merc C270 cdi coupe with 180bhp&400nm torque...wahhooo - we have lift off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

No the GT JTD has 150 bph :cool:
    I think he was talkin about the Golf GT TDI and not the Alfa GT JTD

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TDi = Turbo Diesel with injection, available in 90 and 110bhp, later PD unit was available in 100/130/150bhp. I think the different power versions on the Golf/Bora being identified by the number of red letters on the boot, i.e. TDi having 90/100bhp where as the 110bhp version was TDi. 130bhp was TDi and 150bhp was TDi.

SDi = Standard non turbo diesel with injection, available only in 68bhp I think, very slugish and it originates back to the MKIII Golf and Vento.

I don't think the GT TDi version was ever offically sold here in Ireland so any around are probably imports but you could get the same 150bhp engine alright in Highline trim but again these are very rare and still expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

[pedantry]TDI stands for "Turbo Direct Injection", the "D" doesn't stand for "Diesel".[/pedantry]

SDI stands for "wouldn't pull you out of bed".

I would recommend a 90Bhp engine (AHU) if you are happy with it. It is going to be slower than the higher HP units but it has a fixed vane turbo with bypass valve as opposed to the variable vane turbos fitted to higher HP units. The variable vane design, while quite clever, has more moving parts and is more likely to fail. I'm not claiming that they all fail or anything, but for a turbo that will go a lot longer without needing attention the fixed vane design is better, so long as the 90bhp is ok for you. Personally I think it's fine in a Golf, but I'm not a speed demon. You can always chip the 90bhp up to (is it?) 110bhp while retaining the mechanical advantages that fewer moving parts implies.

Advertisement