Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Cork Xmas Pub Crawl

Options
  • 14-11-2005 8:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[Making it official. The original discussion starts at post 20 in this thread.]

5pm pub crawl on Friday the 2nd of December, otherwise the people that go out on Friday night wouldn't be able to hack it. Crawl starts in Cissy Youngs at the top of the Bandon Road and proceeds down Barracka, with the ultimate goal being cocktails in the Long Island. Standard Beecher pub crawl rules - listed below - will apply.

Saturday evening in a hotel lounge somewhere; the Clarion was nice the other night, so maybe there. Say 8 or 9pm, to leave ample time for recovery. We'll wander around a bit, but no pub crawl, just aimless drinking.

Sunday in the Franciscan Well, as soon as you've recovered; whether that's 3pm or 10pm. If we're lucky it'll be sunny, but wrap up warm just in case. We might stay there for the day, or maybe troop up to Tom Barrys for the lovely fireplace in the evening.

I'll publish my mobile number somewhere so people can note it down and text me to find out where we are whenever they're on the way in. Maybe a couple of other people can publish theirs too, just in case.

APPENDIX I: The Rules of Pub Crawl
    1. You do not talk about PUB CRAWL.
    2. You DO NOT talk about PUB CRAWL.
    3. If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out, the drink is over.
    4. Only two guys to a drink.
    5. One drink at a time.
    6. No shirts, no shoes.
    7. Drinks will go on as long as they have to.
    8. If this is your first night at PUB CRAWL, you HAVE to drink.
    APPENDIX II: The REAL Rules of Pub Crawl (aka Adam's Rules of Engagement)
    1. You may not pass a pub if it's open, no matter how filthy, obsessively trendy, or dodgy it looks.
      (Exceptions may be made for pubs off the main stretch, if it looks like it might drag us off course.)
    2. You may not have more than one drink in each pub. Pace yourself. (See points 7, 8 & 9.)
    3. You may take a "drink holiday" at any point in the crawl, for as long / as many pubs as you feel necessary.
    4. If you take a "drink holiday", the other participants are entitled, nay encouraged, to take the mickey out of you.
    5. If you buy a half, other participants are required to take the mickey out of you. Girls too I'm afraid. Halves are so over.
    6. You may not "break for food". If you're hungry, eat pub food or beermats.
    7. You may not leave a drink, or any portion of a drink, behind. Think carefully before buying. Is a "drink holiday" worth it yet?
    8. The other participants are not allowed to leave until the last drink is finished.
    9. Other participants are entitled to harrass, bribe, cajole, blackmail, beguile or exert influence in any way to encourage you to "hurry up and finish the bloody drink so we can get to the next pub, ffs".
    Those are the rules of Pub Crawl. If you break the rules in any way, you have to go home. Breaking the rules purposely as an exit strategy may be used against you at future events. The judge's decision is final.

Drink!

adam /here come the judge!

PS. I'd like to add that I'm going easy with ye on the time. Real pub crawls start at 11am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

"groovy"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wheee! Might have to join a bit late as I finish at 5:30 that day, but will ring someone to find out where ye are and meet up along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Damn, wish I was back in Cork now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Cool - but you're going past Lennox's without going in?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cool - but you're going past Lennox's without going in?

Now now, let's not go jumping to conclusions...we'll see how things pan out on the night, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Guess who didn't read the rules?

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Guess who didn't read the rules?

Oh, I did read them (several times in fact); I'm just pointing out that, since no-one really listens to you all that often on a general basis, there's a good chance no-one will listen to you in the specific case of us wanting food and you drunkenly talking about how some pseudo-Fight-Club rules don't allow us to get food. :P

You DO NOT talk about Pub Crawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Getting food could be a very dangerous thing. If you have too much it can kill your ability to consume alcohol resulting in an early end to the pissup. It happened to me and a friend a few years ago. We both wanted more drink but couldn't physically fit any more in :( It was horrible!

That's what happened with Lennox's the last time we had a pub crawl UP Barracka. We were a few pubs back and a couple of the lads decided they were going for Lennox's, which of course turned into a half dozen or more. That was the end of the crawl, we all ended up meeting in Cissy's after that. Hence the rule. Having Lennox's on the way down the hill is suicide.

adam

• Advertisement

Ah come on now lads, that only happens if ye're fat bastards and try to eat half your own bodyweight in food cos you're "feckin' starvin' like" or whatever. Nowt wrong with some chips and cheese along the way to make sure you don't have a liquid-only lavatory day after a hard night on the beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fysh wrote:
    Nowt wrong with some chips and cheese along the way to make sure you don't have a liquid-only lavatory day after a hard night on the beer...

Such eloquence!

I won't be there for the pub crawl, which might be just as well, given the nazi-like arrangement of the thing, but I'll hopefully meet you all on the Saturday

Nazi-like arrangements are the foundation of a good pub crawl dudara. And on that Godwin-like note, I'll leave you all to hammer it out amongst yourselves for a little while, cos I gotta go write some code.

adam

dudara wrote:
    Such eloquence!

Now now, I speak only the truth and you all know it...

As for nazi-like arrangements...it seems to be the only way to get anything happening round these parts, given that getting cork boardsies to go for beers is about as easy as herding cats in a thunderstorm. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Somebody's bound to subvert the regime and sneak in for a quick burger. Come to think of it, the definition of "pub food" could be perverted beyond all recognition even before you get the the Captain's Table.

I don't know about the other boardsies but I'm shy... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I don't know about the other boardsies but I'm shy... :o

So am I, but I'm still going*. It'll all be fine after the first three vodka & cokes.

*Not sure I actually have much of a choice in this anymore, but I'm not complaining ;)

Ah, come on Blitz it'll be a laugh. Basically we all rip the piss out of adam so it's a good laugh. Unless you're adam, perhaps. ;)

*Not sure I actually have much of a choice in this anymore, but I'm not complaining ;)
    You're your own woman, woman. God you're such a melodrama queen! :)
    Fysh wrote:
    Basically we all rip the piss out of adam so it's a good laugh. Unless you're adam, perhaps. ;)
    No complaints here. Bring it on, bitch.

So, how many are actually planning on turning up? Are we going to beat our all time record?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

JohnK wrote:
    So, how many are actually planning on turning up? Are we going to beat our all time record?

Well unless I'm sent off somewhere with work I'll turn up.
    I'd better get in training though - I've been off drink all year.

• Advertisement

So your the entertainment for the night then? :D
    You'll be pissed by the first pint!

JohnK wrote:
    So your the entertainment for the night then? :D
    You'll be pissed by the first pint!

Woo! I wont be the only one then. Makes a pleasant change.

*bump*

Two weeks to go. Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh, beeeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

*bump*. less than two weeks to go now.
    I'm in training for the main event and on tonights performance it might be a long and winding road down Barrrck St

Hah, looks like my crown as "wussiest drinker at the BBC" is at no risk then....after my last drinking performance the mere whiff of tequila may be enough to floor me, even if it's only the smell from an empty bottle. Won't stop me trying to keep up though :D

Shots of Jose Cuervo to start it is!

I'm looking forward to this and I'm going to start training in a few minutes. Watch out London, I'm feeling thirsty!

<thames hides>

<bump>

Four days boys and girls. Any more takers?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 a51-topper

From the Open List:
    >> If any Cork Openers are around on Friday / Saturday / Sunday, do drop in for a few:

Would love to Adam (especially since I am living near the starting
    point - Cissie's). But unfortunately I'll be in Dublin this weekend
    - up for the Cork City vs Drogheda game on Sunday.

Coincidentally I just did a pub crawl down your chosen route last Sunday
    night with a few buddies adhering to more or less the same rules, missing absolutely no drinking holes along the way and it was great fun.

Don't miss Bradleys - the cheapest pint in Cork. Was talking to the gentleman Mr. Bradley himself and he's a charactor not to be missed.

Have a great night!

Advertisement