Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB - Eircom hassle

• 14-11-2005 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I am living in Dublin 1 and have just got the call from Smart that my exchange (Dublin North) is live.

I switched over my phoneline to Smart 5 months ago (no more Eircom!!!). In doing this, I cancelled my eircom account and now only have to deal with Smart. However, Smart told me that because of some high court ruling I need an active Eircom account before they are allowed to switch my BB on.

So, I now have to contact Eircom and tell them that I want to switch my calls back to them so that I can get an eircom account number. When this comes through (2-4 weeks) I get back onto Smart and cancel the eircom account again.

Anyone else have any experience like this?

I know it's not Smart's fault. It's just that Eircom just don't seem to understand the principle of competition !!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I had the same problem when I ported my number to Blueface (VOIP) I was a BT user and to port the number I had to move back to Eircon and then request the port. My advice is go back to Eircon this minute. The sooner you switch to them the sooner you can get rid of them for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

I had an inactive line, ie i got rid of eircom and didn't get another phone in. When I applied to smart there seemed to be some confusion over this which was explained to me this way. everything thats on your application to smart regarding your address, name, phone number, account number and so on must match what eircom have exactly or they will reject smarts application for the line. I didn't tell them it was inactive. After all that was sorted out, eircom need to come and check somthing with your line in your house. after that smart send out your modem. as long as you have an old bill with account number and stuff on it your grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Well I too am on the North main line and Smart categorically told me not to cancel the "live" Eircom line as it would cause so much hassle, so unfortunately for you that happened.
    I waited 5 weeks in total doing it the "safe" way.
    Persist m8 as Smart's 2mb line is faster then Eircoms by 200k in my case and their upload is the full 128 unlike Eircoms 106.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

Please attached letter that I will be posting to the Chairman of Eircom (Sir Anthony O' Reilly):

23rd December 2005,

Dear Chairman,

I write to you as a last resort. I have just had two phone calls with members of staff from the broadband department and customer care department. They have informed me that I cannot get broadband to my house and that the matter will not be taken any further by the broadband team because my line has failed on previous occasions. I was told that Eircom are not obliged to facilitate me in getting broadband. I would say that is fair enough if Eircom was not the only line provider in the country, but they are which means there is a monopoly, so I feel they should be obliged to try their hardest to facilitate me. If Eircom were not the only company providing phone lines, you wouldn’t have my business because they are appalling to deal with.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have contacted Eircom since January 2004 (approx.) trying to obtain broadband. We switched over to Smart Telecom back in September 2004 because they had better customer service and were cheaper. Then their broadband package came online so we signed up for that. It was very coincidental that within a few days of signing up for their broadband, we got a phone call from Eircom telling us that they could give us broadband. We declined the offer thinking it was great that we now had two options for broadband. Obviously I was mistaken or I wouldn’t be writing to you now. I checked other broadband provider’s line testers online, but they all failed. I am convinced that Eircom are deliberately blocking our phone number from being accessed by other companies in the hope that we will tire and grovel back looking for Eircom to give us the broadband.

I find it very hard to believe that we cannot get broadband, when all the other houses in my estate around me can get it. Eircom tell me that my line is not suitable. Why is that? Do I have a separate phone line from the exchange to my house that it is unsuitable? I think not. As I look out my window, I see a telephone pole feeding five houses. Out of those, only one can get broadband, and it happens to be a new build that got a phone connection about three months ago. That is an interesting point (see attached letter 25th August 2004). Back in 2004, Eircom told me that our house was on a carrier line and did not have enough bandwidth on the line to serve the four houses I mentioned above. I now believe this to be another fib to get me off the phone so someone else can deal with it another time or maybe I’ll drop it. It just infuriates me more that Eircom’s customer services are useless. The carrier line that apparently could not serve the above mentioned houses because of bandwidth issues just provided a newly build house with broadband. I have been trying to get broadband for nearly two years and a new house built next door to me can get it first time without a hitch. Explain that one to me.
    The problem is obviously with the exchange. So what I would suggest is that you get somebody down to the Dennehy’s Cross exchange in Cork city and sort this problem immediately. The phone number is 021-XXXXXXX. This problem is with the exchange, not with the phone line coming into my house. The phone line was replaced due to damage during the building of the new house next door to me. That by the way took a year to get replaced, with the help of Smart Telecom pushing behind us, because Eircom, once again are useless (see attached letter).

Smart Telecom has been trying to get the phone line released so we can get broadband. They have been in touch with me telling me that Eircom cannot provide broadband to me because (“Code 105 no spare path available”). Why am I finding this information out from a third party? Shouldn’t Eircom be able to tell me this information when I request it? Now that you and I know this is the problem, whatever it means, I’m not in the telecommunications business, what is going to be done about it?

I have placed an order for a second telephone line to see if this will solve the problem. All these issues are costing me money especially the new line, and Eircom is getting the money for that. Customer services tell me that a new phone line might not solve the problem. Why is that? A connection to the new house next door had no problems with it. Or will Eircom notice that the new phone line is linked to the same address and cause problems for that line too, because if it does, you will hear from me again. When the damaged phone line was replaced, it should have been replaced with a broadband capable line if there is such a line.

Eircom can make it as difficult as possible for me to get broadband, but I will get it. If this matter is not resolved I will be taking it to COMReg, if they will not help I will take it to the national air waves because I suspect I am not the only person with this problem, if that doesn’t work I will seek legal advice and it will go on until it is resolved. Due to the fact that Eircom own the entire national telecommunications phone lines, they have a monopoly going, so the buck stops with Eircom, who are the root of all my telecommunications problems. A speedy response would be appreciated as I have been patient for far too long.

I could be blowing all of these matters out of proportion and it could be a simple matter to resolve. But Eircom have not been very helpful to date and customer services keep putting me off without a decent technical answer. I’m not living in a remote location where broadband is extremely difficult to obtain; (I’m surrounded by it). For that reason I find it hard to accept Eircom’s tough luck attitude to getting broadband.

On that note, I will let this issue in your capable hands.

Yours Sincerely,

E-mail that to phil.nolan@eircom.ie too. He is the CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I feel for ya SC :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That was a well-written letter and I wish you luck with it. I would follow paulm17781's advice and email Phil Nolan aswell if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

I had a similar problem with my neighbours getting BB and me not.

But I was lucky enough to get to speak to an engineer(working for Eircom) who was honest and genuine. This is what he said.

For the online test, the phone number of a house is tested, not the actual line. So its probable that your number allocation is not doesn't reflect your line and exchange. So he said I should ring up and request a number change. I did this and my number was changed from 04586XXXX to 04587XXXX. I left it 48 hours and did the online test and passed:D

Later eircom billed me €20 for a number change and I emailed them in a complaint and said the sales team said I needed to change my number and they did say i'd have to pay for it. Subsequently they refunded the money.

Its hastle but worth it if you want broadband.

I'm waiting for my local exchange to be smart enabled, was meant to happen last august:rolleyes:
    B2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

very good point beta2 but your 'orphaned number' situation is fairly rare .

Well everyone. After writing that 2 page letter to Eircom.................I now have broadband. The pen is mightier than the sword. I didn't have to sent it to Phil Nolan. The first Friday in the new year and Eircom had a technician out to our house and he did something at the top of the telephone pole and it sorted everything a treat. Forget talking to customer services, they tend to be useless and blow you off at each call. Because one deals with a different customer services agent each time they can just tell you they can't help. They don't give a toss. Where as dealing with the head honcho's, they have a responsibility for their company. Case closed....after two long frustrating years. Good luck to anyone else with a similar problem. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, don't hesitate to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

LOL I guess then that the person you were sharing a line with will never get broadband as when the engineer went up the pole he more than likely moved you to a full line and split the neighbour's line's in half.

Just wondering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

/me too reckons the pairgain was moved around and that some poor eejit near SC is ringing 1901 every day complaining about the crap dialup speeds he is suddenly getting since the new year.

SC deserved BB for that eloquent letter though !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blueline

Hey guys!

I’m new here but I thought I’d share my run in with Eircom as I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. First of all I’ll go back to when I ordered a phone line.

In September 05 , I requested a line be put in my house. I ordered it online and took there free first time connection offer. About 1 week later I rang them to see what when they would be sending out a technician to install the rj45 box.

At present I live in Tara Crescent in clominch, Tullamore. All the houses here were wired for phone lines when they were built so all that had to be done was the box installed.

Anyway when I rang them, I was told that it would be another two weeks before they sent it out and that they would put a note on the file as urgent. So I waited 3 weeks and still no sign of eircom. I rang again and again. I was told “We have reserved a number for you and will be installing, but it won’t be done before Christmas”.

That’s fair enough, so I wait. I ring them on the 9th of January and ask when the installer is coming out , as il have to arrange someone being there. They ask me for the number they reserved and go on to check my account. Few minutes later the representative comes back and tells me “I’m sorry but the number you gave me is already registered with a business user” , then they tell me that MY house is not showing up to be on the exchange..

How is this possible when there had being a line there before and I had a line myself in the house next to it before I moved. They told me no information could be given but they would contact me… No word came back, so I started complaining, I wrote emails, complained over phone, even got on to com-reg to try sort the matter several times and no replies form either. Eircom keep telling me they will get back to me and that it will be March 2006 before they will be able to set me up.

I feel there basically blowing me off, and the fact that my next door neighbour has a 3 meg line and I can’t even get a phone is simply ironic? If anyone has had similar run ins with eircom could you give us some advice on the matter? I'm sick of writing letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Its sad when the telecommunications regulator dont do squat. Im also in Tullamore and i am on a 3 Meg line.
    Paulm17781
    The sooner you switch to them the sooner you can get rid of them for good.

Lol, stupid country lets this crap happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

blueline wrote:
    Hey guys!

I’m new here but I thought I’d share my run in with Eircom as I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. First of all I’ll go back to when I ordered a phone line.

I feel there basically blowing me off, and the fact that my next door neighbour has a 3 meg line and I can’t even get a phone is simply ironic? If anyone has had similar run ins with eircom could you give us some advice on the matter? I'm sick of writing letters.

Email phil.nolan@eircom.ie with the full details of this (he is the CEO) mention that you feel you have no alternative but to refer the matter to Comreg as at this stage Eircom appear to be only interested in wasting your time.

Hi Blueline,

Refer to my letter I wrote to the chairman of eircom. I was wasting my time talking to customer services. They obviously need to do some in house training. I was trying to get broadband for two years and customer services said it wasn't possible. One letter to the chairman and I got broadband within a fortnight. Forget customer services and go for the top men in the company.

I'd Just like to tell you that since i sent a letter to Phil Nolan, Cao of Eircom . They have being in contact with me for the first time about this matter and have giving me an account number , plus said the "technician" would be in in contact soon.

Thanks lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sparkey02

Hi There just reading your letter and notice something - when your a smart Customer and want to go back to eircom for an account number they should give you this information within 2-3 working days ,a few friends of mine got there account numbers within this time - also not so long ago eircom were giving out the account numbers over the phone ,they have stoped this since January of this year and are now posting it out to peoples houses within this time ,

I would think waiting 2-4 weeks for an account number is mad if this is the case with anybody i would ring eircom and demand the number asap,I dont know how effective this will be -i think maybe they are afraid of the competition -

sparkey02 wrote:
    Hi There just reading your letter and notice something - when your a smart Customer and want to go back to eircom for an account number they should give you this information within 2-3 working days ,a few friends of mine got there account numbers within this time - also not so long ago eircom were giving out the account numbers over the phone ,they have stoped this since January of this year and are now posting it out to peoples houses within this time ,

I would think waiting 2-4 weeks for an account number is mad if this is the case with anybody i would ring eircom and demand the number asap,I dont know how effective this will be -i think maybe they are afraid of the competition -

I think there are justifiable reasons for any company not to give an account number out over the phone but not for witholding it totally.

Hi,

Smart Broadband up and running as of today. After 2 years we finally have it.

On the a/c numbers being given out, I can understand them not giving it out over the phone. There are lots of con artists out there, and if they have your a/c number and get a name and address they can set bank accounts and do all sorts of criminal stuff. It happened to a friend of mine they got about €2500 worth of stuff on a VISA card. The bank had to reimburse him because they never cross referenced the details of the people who opened the account. Its frustrating that they wont give it out over the phone, but it may be for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Hi,

Smart Broadband up and running as of today. After 2 years we finally have it.

Is that two years in dog time

dub45 wrote:
    I think there are justifiable reasons for any company not to give an account number out over the phone but not for witholding it totally.

You're right. While it is a pain, it is for security. The only way they can verify it is to post it to your house.

Hey,

As i posted before i had alot of hassle with eircom with regards to getting a phone line in. This was outrages as every other house on my estate has one. I was finally setup last week with some issues with there accounts system. They gave me a number that was already taking by a business user. so when i rang up to find out for broadband they tell me its not my number at all. They finally resolved this but in the process my line is unsuitable for broadband. Now my next door neighbour has a line which is broadband enabled but he's not using it. Why is it that i cannot pass, have they split my line with the guy on the other side of me and if so how would i get this fixed.

blueline wrote:
    Hey,

As i posted before i had alot of hassle with eircom with regards to getting a phone line in. This was outrages as every other house on my estate has one. I was finally setup last week with some issues with there accounts system. They gave me a number that was already taking by a business user. so when i rang up to find out for broadband they tell me its not my number at all. They finally resolved this but in the process my line is unsuitable for broadband. Now my next door neighbour has a line which is broadband enabled but he's not using it. Why is it that i cannot pass, have they split my line with the guy on the other side of me and if so how would i get this fixed.

While I have sympathy for your situation realistically no one on boards is going to be able to answer your question the only ones who can you about your line are Eircom. I would suggest emailing the chief executive of Eircom phil.nolan@eircom.ie with full details of what has happened to you with them and see if that works. It has been known to produce the occasional good result in the past.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is it possible that because the line is new, it hasn't been DSL tested yet? I think I read somewhere before that new lines take a few weeks to be properly checked and relevant databases updated.

Maybe somebody can clarify this?

Otherwise, it's most likely you were pair-gained, though I'd have thought Eircom should be avoiding DACS in this day and age.

Advertisement