Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using VPN with Eircom BB

• 14-11-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone ever use VPN with Eircom BB.
    I am trying to connect but the cisco VPN client cant seem to recognise that the BB connection is there. It connects fine using Dial-up with Eircom though..

Have A Netopia Caymen 3300 btw...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What are you trying todo?

connect to an external cisco pix from inside your eircom BB using the cisco vpn client ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try deleting/disabling the dial-up adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I am trying to connect to the company network using VPN over BB.
    And it is a cisco box that I am trying to connect to.

<EDIT> Just been onto Eircom but they were absolutely no help whatsoever</edit>

I have a similar setup, and rarely have a problem(cept im a mac user)

Whats the error from the vpn client?

More details on your setup please, what way are you connected to Broadband ?

bazH wrote:
    I have a similar setup, and rarely have a problem(cept im a mac user)

Whats the error from the vpn client?

More details on your setup please, what way are you connected to Broadband ?

I have DSL with Eircom. Connected from Netopia to pc using USB.
    I dont actually get an error from the VPN client, the progress bar just keeps going across with text "contacting the security gateway (IP address follows)"

• Advertisement

bump, Anyone??

Does it work using the network cable instead of the usb one ?

im assuming you're using usb as you have no network card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

To the best of my knowledge, and from what I can see on the Netgear site, the Cayman 33412 (the model offered by Eircom for home users) doesn't support VPN. I presume they offer the 3346-ENT to business users, which does support VPN. Are you on the home or business package?

EDIT: Since you mention using USB to connect, I'm assuming that you're on one of the home plans?

bazH wrote:
    Does it work using the network cable instead of the usb one ?

im assuming you're using usb as you have no network card?

I have a network card but just use the USB cable. But no, it doesnt work with the network cable either. Have tried both

To the best of my knowledge, and from what I can see on the Netgear site, the Cayman 33412 (the model offered by Eircom for home users) doesn't support VPN. I presume they offer the 3346-ENT to business users, which does support VPN. Are you on the home or business package?

EDIT: Since you mention using USB to connect, I'm assuming that you're on one of the home plans?

I am on the Home package but the reason this came about is I was doing work for a couple of people in the office who are on the other expensive package and they could not connect.
    According to Eircom, there is no block on using VPN software...
    They havent responded to my mail about the Cayman not supporting VPN...
    The other thing is, it was working on of the users that has the 3341 but just stopped suddenly..

• Advertisement

I had the identical modem and had it working, can't remember if i had any issues.

I seem to remember changing some of the configuration, possibly UPnP or some of the IPSEC pass through options, off the top of my head im not sure.

have a read of this - http://www.netopia.com/equipment/tech/appnotes/0000000-00-01.pdf

which might help connecting from router to pix, and not using the client

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I'm not too sure if the netopia supports vpn... you could always check on their website for configuration if it does, its pretty good

If it doesnt... get a new router

I'm not too sure if the netopia supports vpn... you could always check on their website for configuration if it does, its pretty good

If it doesnt... get a new router

Well, it worked fine up until last week for one of the users who has it, so it must do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you set up port forwarding and lan access for the vpn port on the modem?

Have you set up port forwarding and lan access for the vpn port on the modem?

No, I was just after finding info on that from google just there.
    I just cant figure out how it worked fine with the modem before and then just stopped..
    Will try the port forwarding tonight, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

I used to use VPN over broadband in a previous job. I forget what the hardware and software was, but I had real problems setting it up initially.

Turns out, that in the network properties on my computer, the VPN software had added a 'Deterministic Network Enhancer'. I removed this and all my troubled evaporated.

You could check for that, or something similar.

Cheers Dancin, I will have a look out for it.

<EDIT> Just had a look and there is a 'Deterministic Network Enhancer' after being added...
    Will give it a go removing it and see what hapens

Advertisement