Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards in crisps slipping - Tayto vs King

• 14-11-2005 9:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or has the nation's favourite food, crisps, gone down hill in recent times?

Has anyone noticed the nations favourite crisp, Tayto, seems to contain less crisps? Even the obligatory "pump in more air" to make the bag look bigger seems to have gone out the window?

Ive switched to King, they're far better at filling the bag with air to fool us into thinking we're getting value!

Also which crisps offer less broken crisps? I still think King tips Tayto on that one too!

PS. walkers and hunky dorys just aint the same on a ham sandwich so no replies claiming they're better!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

King ftw!

Change the size of your sig there buddy or you'll have the sigpo all over your ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Take it to Food / Drink tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

No, Tayto taste as good as they ever did. Cheese & Onion yum yum. But my favourite is Salt & Vinegar Hunky Dorys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

its not only the amount of crisps, the taste seemed to have changed for some reason too - im a king man myself, still get that odd packet with the old flavour and its amazing when i do,

you are right about walkers and hunky dory's not being the same on a sambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 taytos

I have worked in the Tayto factory since 1986, and we havent changed the making of them one bit. People just imagine stuff was better in the olden days all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have never been a Tayto man, King are by far better, There is nothing better than a King crisp, cheese and ham sandwich. AH im hungry now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Salt and Vinegar Hunky Dorys are the champion of crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Agreed
    The point of adding air, is to stop crisps getting crushed, by the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Tayto Trebble Crunch crisps have to be the nicest crisps around... And they're low fat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

taytos wrote:
    I have worked in the Tayto factory since 1986...
    Everytime I used to drive past the Tayto factory the combined smell of it and the paint factory next door used to make me wanna heave.

Give me Walkers anyday.

...but the ultimate are a Belgian crisp called 'Crocky'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Anyone else find the Tayto bags too big? You have to plunge your hand in and fish around to get a decent amount of crisps. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Perri's pub crisps - mature cheddar and red onion with a pint of Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Aren't Tayto and King all produced by C&C group? Could be wrong!!!

Anyway, Hunky Dory's are the best on the Irish market if ya ask me. I just love the Mature Chedder Cheese and Spring Onion flavour ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

memphis wrote:
    Anyway, Hunky Dory's are the best on the Irish market if ya ask me. I just love the Mature Chedder Cheese and Spring Onion flavour ones.

There just something, fishy, about those hunky dorys. Its almost like they were created by Willy Wonkas enemy or somethin. Tasty, but just not Tayto or King!!

Still tho, tayto and hang sangwitches are spot on! Hows she cuttin!

faceman wrote:
    There just something, fishy, about those hunky dorys. Its almost like they were created by Willy Wonkas enemy or somethin. Tasty, but just not Tayto or King!!

Still tho, tayto and hang sangwitches are spot on! Hows she cuttin!

The funny thing is being a Hunky Dory fan I would almost say the same thing regarding good old HD's in relation to Tayto :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The funny thing is being a Hunky Dory fan I would almost say the same thing regarding good old HD's in relation to Tayto :)

Go on ya chancer! U luv dem taytos!

My sentiment exactly!!! I love me Hunky Dory's..... 3 times nicer than Tayto in my opinion! Having said that if I was offered a bag of tayto I wouldn't say no. Its just that I'd go for HD 1st outta preference.

Anyway, again I'll ask are Tayto and King owned by C&C group???

I do like Tayto and King, it's just my preference would without a doubt be the Hunky Dorys. Just so much more satisfying. And those ripples are great tbh. You can nibble them so much easier without them breaking apart...:v:

As for C&C group I haven't a clue because.....I can't even remember the last time I bought either Tayto or King :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i heard a rumur that tayto and king are owned by the same company!!
    oh heres a tip- put king crisps in the fridge - makes em taste amazing. They have a refrigerated vending machine where I work and the king taste so good out of it

Was under the same impression. I know Tayto is a product of C&C group so if King is made by the same company then it too would be C&C. Will do a google when I get a chance and report back.

• Advertisement

oh heres a tip- put king crisps in the fridge - makes em taste amazing. They have a refrigerated vending machine where I work and the king taste so good out of it

Very interesting. Must try it someday....crisps in the fridge! Who'd have thought....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i know but it works!! I cant eat them from a shop anymore they gotta go in th efridge for a few mins before i open them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

hehe, Tayto bought King a long time ago ye bunch of n00bs! :)

http://www.taytocrisps.ie/aboutus/about_history.asp

Thanks for that Rid.

However, be warned, if you call me or any user of this forum a noob... or knob, or whatever way you wanna put it... ever again, you will be banned.

And yes, this is me being nice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

eh what...? Do you have any idea what a noob/n00b/newb is? It is not a derogatory term or even a slagging. I was just having a laugh :p You n00b.

Wikipedia FTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob :v:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I bought a packet of Tayto yesterday, and am convinced their packets are bigger. IIRC, it said 40g, whereas it used to be 35g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm sure Tayto and King have different recipes.
    Try comparing the ingredients.

Rid wrote:
    eh what...? Do you have any idea what a noob/n00b/newb is? It is not a derogatory term or even a slagging. I was just having a laugh :p You n00b.

Wikipedia FTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob :v:
    My apology Rid,

I understood the term to be of a derogatory term meaning knob, and w@nker. etc.

Forget it!!! My wrong mate!!!

memphis wrote:
    My apology Rid,

I understood the term to be of a derogatory term meaning knob, and w@nker. etc.

Forget it!!! My wrong mate!!!

Dudes dudes lets settle this like true honourable Boarders... over a packet of stale crisps!

• Advertisement

Dammit.....I forgot to try the crisps in the fridge thing. Next weekend.....

Advertisement