Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get an oil change?

Options
  • 14-11-2005 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm driving a Volvo S80 '99 85k miles and it's eating up about a litre of oil every 500 miles. I've also noticed that the oil that's left on the dipstick seems much blacker than I think it should be. First off, any ideas why the high oil consumption (doesnt appear to be a leak) and secondly, is it worth getting the oil & filter changed? Where could I go and how much would it cost?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oil and filter possibly could do with a change but if you have been pouring in 2L pre thousand miles then the oil may not be too bad. Oil can go black after a while. When was it last serivced?
    As fo the 2L per thousand miles. This is a cause for worry. Get yourself a compression test and a leakdown test to see what is going on. You could have anything from valve stem leaks to blown head gasket to worn piston rings

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcgenius

thanks for the feedabck....Any thoughts as to how much this type of test would cost? I'm confident it's not the head gasket (no gunge under oil filler cap), but how could I diagnose the other possibilities?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is there any/much blue smoke coming out of the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You probably wont see any exhaust smoke as the CATS tend to deal with this rather effectively, masking the problem !

It sounds like you do have a consumption issue but ensure you get correct results by taking accurate readings. Top up the oil and take the mileage,check it regularly and see excatly how much it takes when you've done 500 miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Has this car done an NCT recently. It's a 99 so it's due a test this year. Reason I ask is that if the car is burning oil it may show up in an elevated hydrocarbon result from the exhaust emmisions.

I have to say it doesn't sound particularly healthy, that is a lot of oil for a Volvo with 85k to be using. 85k is nothing for a modern car that has been reasonably well looked after.

I agree with kbannon, take it to a garage and get them to perform the compression tests etc. The tests themselves will not be expensive but they may show up a serious problem. You might end up in a situation where you'd better off flogging the car asap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement