Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sony Troja Snitch or the DRM

• 15-11-2005 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

well it looks like sony realy dont give a flying F*ck about Placeing a Trojan on Your Windows PC with out your consent.
    also its bundled with Sony's MP3 players So Think twice about Getting a sony. I can't Beleave sony would do such a thing. Ok its to stop Copy sony Music CD. and the most unlikely Hero of this story is Microsoft who are makeing a Program to Take out this file from Your PC.
    some likes below if you dont beleave me or just do a google serch.
    Personaly Sony should stick to Makeing TV its all there good at or wait its what samsung are good at makeing sonys screens

http://www.betanews.com/article/Trojan_Horse_Hides_Using_Sony_Rootkit/1131640601

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2092

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

Oh yeah & if you think its all well and good this Program opens Doors to well Real Hacker who can actualy Feck your Windows PC Up. and there are reports of this program Messing up windows files. so Make it a Sony (sony Center saying ) My ass

You shoud of bought an ipod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Yea got nailed by that too, really didn't expect it. i think it was spybot finally got rid for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

pogcica wrote:
    Yea got nailed by that too, really didn't expect it. i think it was spybot finally got rid for me

Sony Have allways been doing **** like that any way they don't care we as Music Lovers buy there Audio CD with trust Kinda a messed up trust issue. any how Sony have went to the dog's. there not as good as they one were & still the Apple ipod Out sells sony on the Mp3 maket and as for the Vaio Compleat Rip off.

But I Have to Hand it to microsoft there doing the right Thing & Im not a windows person I Love Mac but Microsoft are Well Good in my book Microsoft Kick sonys ass for us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this not coming from copyrighted cd's, as opposed to the mp3 players software? So its two separates companies in all but name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Stekelly wrote:
    Is this not coming from copyrighted cd's, as opposed to the mp3 players software? So its two separates companies in all but name.

1st sensible post so far.:rolleyes:

Edit: Having just realised that I, myself, posted an amazingly useless reply, I shall now add to my previous sentence with reasons why the previous posts are not sensible.

OP: It's a Rootkit, not a Trojan, and it comes on certain DRM'ed CDs, not with SonicStage.
    Pogcica: I don't think Spybot is equipped to remove Rootkits... plus if you just flat out "remove" this, it kills your CD/DVD drive. If it can, well.... good, I suppose.
    Sixshot: You linked "Microsoft" and "Good" in the same sentence.

Yeah Microsoft & Good Kinda Scary what we say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Shadow_2k5 wrote:
    the most unlikely Hero of this story is Microsoft who are makeing a Program to Take out this file from Your PC.
    You're giving them far too much credit. They're including the removal tool in Microsoft Defender because every other anti-malware application is also including it. But while most security companies where quick to condemn the rootkit and work to patch it, MS didn't take any action until the story hit all the major news sites and it was became clear that the issue wasn't just going to go away. While they're not the villans in this case, MS are hardly heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

Ok In my early Post I said Microsoft were heros in this area Perhaps not but they were the only ones who actualy did something about.
    However sony have made a program to bypass the Microsoft remover so its a Microsoft Sony Battle now. There Realy Pushing it are sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Shadow_2k5 wrote:
    but they were the only ones who actualy did something about
    It's a pretty big security hole, every security company worth their salt have had to do something...
    Symantec
    Sophos
    McAfee

...and the list goes on. Some of the companies didn't wait around for two weeks before doing something though, as Microsoft did. These companies aren't just being good samaritans. This is what they are paid to do. Microsoft are in the security market too, with MS Defender. It's now their job to make sure their software removes nasty rootkits and the like. If they didn't, then no one would use their product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

have a look here for the latest in the ongoing saga http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=936

Advertisement