Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for 5 balls

Options
  • 15-11-2005 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I've been juggling since the start of August and am quite obsessed at this stage. I've been doing 4 for a while now and am feeling quite comfortable with it. Just got another 3 balls the other day and started trying to do 5.

I've read some stuff on 5 balls but I thought I'd start a thread here in case anyone has some nice tips.

This is what I've been doing.

1)Flashing 3
    2)Flashing 3 while holding an extra one in each hand
    3)I have different sets of balls so I've started with 2 and 3 and flashed them to see if the balls are indeed switching hands.
    4)Flashing 4 as if I were doing cascade??
    5)Trying to remain relaxed and not tense up.
    6)Dropping balls ;)

I'm not sure what height to aim for. At the moment, I'm just using the ceiling in my kitchen as a mark.

Where should I be looking as I throw the balls?

Would trying 6 help me?

Very generally speaking, how long does it usually take to get 5 ball cascade going fairly solidly? I seem to have picked things up quite quickly up to now.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

5 is a real mountain compared to 4 balls. it'll take around 6 months to be hitting the 50c mark regularly but hen it shoots up after that. the patterns i found to help most were 50505 and 525

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Aye, a few months of preactice before things start getting nice and steadily good.

I think the best height would be about a foot above your head.

Also, try flashing 3 balls from one hand into the other (you should get a 3 ball arc in the air). Then as those 3 balls land in your other hand flash them again under the line of the original arc, back into your first hand. I think this is called Chasing The Dog. If you're doing it right you should only be using one or no hands at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

5 is a real mountain compared to 4 balls. it'll take around 6 months to be hitting the 50c mark regularly but hen it shoots up after that. the patterns i found to help most were 50505 and 525

I tried to plug your examples into this [URL=]http://www.juggling.org/programs/java/nichols/[/URL]
    to see what they looked like but it doesn;t seem to recognise them as valid. (or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Their defintiely valid. come to juggling in trinity tonight and i'll show you how to juggle them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rparle

You're describing 50505 (or 55050), the three-ball snake. Also good are 552, 55550 (four balls in a five-ball pattern, with a gap), and some people swear by 5551 but I find it harder than 5. The three-ball shower (51) in both directions is a must aswell. And the four-ball half shower (53) in both directions won't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rparle

I tried to plug your examples into this [URL=]http://www.juggling.org/programs/java/nichols/[/URL]
    to see what they looked like but it doesn;t seem to recognise them as valid. (or something)
    http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/siteswap.php?site=525
    http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/siteswap.php?site=50505

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Their defintiely valid. come to juggling in trinity tonight and i'll show you how to juggle them

Sorry, I only saw this just now but I couldn't make it down anyway. Thanks for the offer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NiallKelly

Where should I be looking as I throw the balls?

You should be looking at the top of the pattern where the balls cross.
    Would trying 6 help me?

I don't think 6 is a good pattern to practice while just starting to learn 5, since its a completely different pattern. Maybe try flashing 7. 5 will seem a lot easier then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andrewg

i liked to try to pretend i was juggling 3 just very fast. if you just think of the 3 ball pattern, you may do better.

try flashing 3 balls then while they are in the air, try throwing the other two up. this helped me improve. i am still not great at it. i have been juggling since february 2005

Advertisement