Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver problem :(

• 15-11-2005 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with my iRiver H140. I got it about 16 months ago and its broken. A friend tried to charge it with a charge that was below the voltage that is written on the casing. He thought it would be ok because it was below the voltage and not above. Anywho, the iRiver wont turn on now...

Any ideas what the problem is ? Am I covered by iRiver or would they charge me to get it fixed ? Idea of price? Thanks in advance peoples.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

you have a 2 year warranty with iriver so its cool if you can prove that, they'll more than likely send a new one cause they are lazy.

Another reason not to but an ipod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I have a problem with my iRiver H140. I got it about 16 months ago and its broken. A friend tried to charge it with a charge that was below the voltage that is written on the casing. He thought it would be ok because it was below the voltage and not above. Anywho, the iRiver wont turn on now...

Any ideas what the problem is ? Am I covered by iRiver or would they charge me to get it fixed ? Idea of price? Thanks in advance peoples.

Just make damn sure you don't tell them about the charger. It's possible you could have charged it with an adaptor with opposite polarity and fried the bugger. Look at the base of the player near where you connect the charger to and you should see something like this: (-)----C
    (+) (vaguely). if it's the opposite way to that on the adaptor, the battery's probably nuked. You have a few choices here:
    -send it back to iriver. If you do this, it is possible you'll get sent a new player in the post. Unfortunately I've heard that, sometimes, iriver send out abortions (H10 20GB players) in place of your original. wouldn't be happy about that.
    -buy a new battery and replace it yourself. Irivers are a bit fiddly to open and I think the 1st generation ipod battery fits with a squeeze. I've also heard of a company called ionity who do h300 replacements with extended life, although I heard these guys went into liquidation so you might be screwed on that front.
    -A more expensive option would be to look for a damaged player on ebay and cannibalise it for parts.

Most importantly, have you pressed the reset button and tried to turn it on again? This solved any problems I encountered with the H300! you could also open it and check the battery connections (clutching at straws!). if all of the above fails, look at http://www.misticriver.net , if that fails, send it back and hope you don't get a h10. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I know how you feel, click here:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Time for the obligatory stupid question....

Did you try giving it a full charge with the CORRECT charger? Could just be the battery is still flat... Couldn't hurt if you haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot I even made this thread! I'll try out some of the stuff you suggested and post here later. I bought it on amazon.co.uk. I dont have a receit, will IRiver replace it without the receit ? Is there anywayI can request a receit from amazon ?

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. I forgot I even made this thread! I'll try out some of the stuff you suggested and post here later. I bought it on amazon.co.uk. I dont have a receit, will IRiver replace it without the receit ? Is there anywayI can request a receit from amazon ?

Same as myself tehn , you had to pay amazon on a credid card so thats your record , amazon should have sent you a big recipt which if you were smart you may have some where in the box or somthing. You can always go onto iriver.com and register the device now using your serial number and just send it off to them dont think they really car from what ive read. You usually get a H140bak iin the post brand new. Could be worth a shot

air_vent wrote:
    Same as myself tehn , you had to pay amazon on a credid card so thats your record , amazon should have sent you a big recipt which if you were smart you may have some where in the box or somthing. You can always go onto iriver.com and register the device now using your serial number and just send it off to them dont think they really car from what ive read. You usually get a H140bak iin the post brand new. Could be worth a shot

Whats the precidure ? Do I email them first or stick a letter in with the return ? Or should I even give thema ring ? I take it im only sending it to the UK and not somewhere further out?

If I register it now will that act as a receit of sorts ?

Em not sure ring them if you can there is an irish help line I think, dont email they will never get back.

I would send the player with its box in a recorded post to them with proof of purchase if you can, of you cant try it any who they will either send it back or send a new one. Just make sure you have insurance on the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its in Germany
    They'll just email you a standard thing which tells you to just post it to an address they give you.

great, I'll give them a ring today. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement