Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS or Xbox?

Options
  • 15-11-2005 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

im planning to buy xbox but my friend told me that ps is much better. which is much better PS or Xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It all depends what games you want to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

From the technical point of view, the PS3 is better. The XBox 360 can do a lot, yes, however, for what I have seen, the PS3 can do more than that.

Now, there's a lot of little things to consider. For example, the XBox 360 comes with XBox Live, the Internet kit required to play online with the console. The PS3 has such an option too, but it doesn't come in the package as far as I know.

Even though the PS3 is technically better, the console recently came into discussion as it was rumoured that Sony may not allow the gamers to use pre-owned or borrowed games. But one official thing is, that the PS3 is not 100% backward compatible, while the XBox 360 is I think.

So ultimately, it's up to you, really.

I'm really not sure what to get... If the PS3 is really not backward compatible or not entirely backward compatible, then for me that's really a reason not to buy it, because I have a lot games that I'd still like to play while giving the PS2 to my younger brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

maze wrote:
    im planning to buy xbox but my friend told me that ps is much better. which is much better PS or Xbox?

The xbox has a really crap launch game lineup, and thatry mad expensive, I would wait and see, if you have a fairly good PC you can play most of the xbox game son it instead.

PS2 shadow of the collosus and RE4 games blow xbox 360 games away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Gizzard wrote:
    if you have a fairly good PC you can play most of the xbox game son it instead.

How do you do that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

HomunQlus wrote:
    From the technical point of view, the PS3 is better. The XBox 360 can do a lot, yes, however, for what I have seen, the PS3 can do more than that.

Now, there's a lot of little things to consider. For example, the XBox 360 comes with XBox Live, the Internet kit required to play online with the console. The PS3 has such an option too, but it doesn't come in the package as far as I know.

How do you mean? It's equipped out of the box to go online, moreso than X360 even (wifi is standard, there's even a 3-port switch in there).

In terms of "little things" elsewhere, PS3 is far more packed with features too(next-gen DVD playback, bluetooth, support for various removeable media, dvd upconversion, sacd support etc. etc.)
    HomunQlus wrote:
    Even though the PS3 is technically better, the console recently came into discussion as it was rumoured that Sony may not allow the gamers to use pre-owned or borrowed games. But one official thing is, that the PS3 is not 100% backward compatible, while the XBox 360 is I think.

A vicious rumour - the patent those reports are based on is older than the PS2. There's no indication Sony will implement any such system - they didn't for PS2 or PSP afterall.

X360 is also not 100% backwards compatible. Try more like 20-25% thusfar. PS3 won't be 100% backwards compatible in the same way PS2 wasn't ;) A few Psone games didn't work with PS2 either. I'd expect it to be much more backwards compatible than X360 is.

In the end though, it comes down to the games you want. If you're not sure, though, I wouldn't rush the decision - wait till we know more about PS3 and its games, then make your mind up.

If you're talking about PS2 or Xbox, still the same question really, what games do you want? PS2's library is larger and more diverse IMO, but Xbox has some very worthy titles too. PS2 has more life left in it too though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Let the Flame Wars commence!

PS2 is the roxxer cos it haz lodza g8t games like Enter the Matrix and Tekken 4 which are the l33t. Gaybox only haz gaymes for gaymers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a place for all 3, but I still love my little GameCube :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

STOP talking about next gen consoles on this thread. Thank you.

As Crucifix said, it's all about the games. The Xbox is better for first person shooters (Halo etc) and it’s also easer to play four player (given that you buy extra controllers), while you'll only get Buzz, Singstar, and Eyetoy (if you're into that sort of thing) on PS2.

The best thing to do is visit a games shop if you can, and you should get an idea of what games and kind of games are on each console and what is on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

monument wrote:
    STOP talking about next gen consoles on this thread. Thank you.

As Crucifix said, it's all about the games. The Xbox is better for first person shooters (Halo etc) and it’s also easer to play four player (given that you buy extra controllers), while you'll only get Buzz, Singstar, and Eyetoy (if you're into that sort of thing) on PS2.

The best thing to do is visit a games shop if you can, and you should get an idea of what games and kind of games are on each console and what is on both.

yes its about the games, like I said, the current new crop of PS2 games are just better and more origional then the new 360 games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

XBOXX FTWWW!!!1111///oneoneone

Edit: Gamecube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It's tricky: The XBox has superior versions of stuff that's on PS2, like San Andreas, and if you don't have a PC the fps games on XBox can fill a gap. And it has Outrun 2, £7.99 at Play.com.

But on PS2 you have Shadow of The Colossus and Japanese RPGs like Disgaea, if you're into that kind of thing. But beware, a lot of PS2 games have no 60Hz mode, like Ridge Racer 5, sadly. You'll have the option of Resident Evil 4, but I'd rather play it on the Gamecube, for which it was designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

danniemcq wrote:
    yeah but there's stuff to be read with regards to xbox. the tide will turn when there's solid news for ps3 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

maze wrote:

Maze if you were smart you would buy a PC, if you have one allready then buy a better PC.

He never stated that its the new PS or the new XboX that his after so PC all the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

BadCharlie wrote:
    Maze if you were smart you would buy a PC, if you have one allready then buy a better PC.

He never stated that its the new PS or the new Xbox that his after so PC all the way....

Sure, if he wants to spend 800+ as opposed to 180.

Seriously, the only way to choose is on the basis of games on the market. Xbox releases might dry up now as the 360 comes out, whereas PS2 is looking forward to some great releases before the PS3 appears. That said, Xbox is undeniably a more versatile machine, with a hard drive in it it's like a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

danniemcq wrote:
    you spelt playstation wrong. NOt that it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

tbh xbox, for the sole reason HALO! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Well theres no point getting an xbox seeing as its offically getting replaced by the 360 and games for it are going to start slowing down. Ps2 is in a little bit of a better place cause more people have it and the ps3 wont be out for a while so there should be new games coming out for it for some time to come. If I had to choose on which i like better id say the xbox for games like outrun 2 and xbox live even though you have to pay for it but times are changing and its looking like a soon to be dead console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm speaking from personal experiences with both consoles.

I had a PS2 about 2 years ago, was great and no problems. Sold it after about 9 months.

Then i got my hands on an Xbox for christmas last year. I thought there was no comparison. I have to admit, I prefer the PS2 controller.

Everything was fine until - I got Xbox live. It adds a whole new dimension to the machine.

IMO, Xbox wins.

Saying that, with the next generation consoles coming about, I think that there will be alot more competition as I don't think Sony will have the bulk of the market this time around.

I would really like to buy both the PS3 and 360, just have to see what both are like a little after their respective launches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Eh teh Dreamcast!!! :)

Xbox is far superior in terms of graphics, multiplayer (both online and regular) and in mod potential.

But while the PS2 is the graphical runt of this gen it has the greatest choice of games, and some quality games are still to come (SOTC, Katamari, MGS3:Sub and hopefully Okami)

Xbox vs PS2 in terms of choice of games the PS2 wins easily unless all you want is FPS and racing games.

Another thing to remember is that Xbox games should get cheaper in the not so distant future but expect releases to slow down too. While on the otherhand FIFA 05 was released on the PSone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

XBOX: nice graphics, you can play online.

PS: great selection of games.

=-=

It depends what you want to play. For example, if you want to play Burnout, Tiger Woods, etc, get an xbox. If you like all those games Sony got out, get a PS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As much as I love the xbox, especially the version of HalfLife2, if offline gaming is your thing then get a PS2, really great games, tons of cheap 2nd hand stuff out there too. Playd all the old PSone stuff as well. Sony simply have a much wider roster of great game series to select from, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet, God of War, Gran Turismo, F1, Ico etc, xbox jsut doesn't have it and unless you are possessed by a desire to play FPS online don't bother, plus most games are multiformat now anyway so they appear on both formats with little other than slight cosmetic differences.
    I am lucky enough to have a pretty wide selection of consoles at my disposal and the PS2 has got played more than any other over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

IMO, xbox rapes ps2, live is great, the pad is good, the games are amazing, i cant think of one fps on the pc thats not on xbox/will be on 360, the ps2 has no decent, popular fps, xbox has lodsa rpgs, car sims too, and forza is better then gt4 anyday if your into those games, i aint fanboy i have ps2, i thought it was the best till i got xbox, now ps2 is just crappy, i cant say enough how much more the xbox is better, i dont think theres more then 2, 3 games on the ps2, that are actually worth buying one for, wereas the xbox has all the games, like halo, jade empire, forza, etc.. and for you "my pc is too crap to play good games" the xbox offers, doom3, half-lfe2, far cry etc... graphically not as good as pc in some cases (depends on pc obviously) but the xbox is the best investment iv'e ever made, roll on the 360, forget about sony, all they have is mgs, gt, "killzone" (lol) and some other funk, ( i like mgs though, love it, but i could nvr think of a game so good that would make me want a ps2 over an xbox)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

IMO, xbox rapes ps2, live is great, the pad is good, the games are amazing, i cant think of one fps on the pc thats not on xbox/will be on 360, the ps2 has no decent, popular fps, xbox has lodsa rpgs, car sims too, and forza is better then gt4 anyday if your into those games, i aint fanboy i have ps2, i thought it was the best till i got xbox, now ps2 is just crappy, i cant say enough how much more the xbox is better, i dont think theres more then 2, 3 games on the ps2, that are actually worth buying one for, wereas the xbox has all the games, like halo, jade empire, forza, etc.. and for you "my pc is too crap to play good games" the xbox offers, doom3, half-lfe2, far cry etc... graphically not as good as pc in some cases (depends on pc obviously) but the xbox is the best investment iv'e ever made, roll on the 360, forget about sony, all they have is mgs, gt, "killzone" (lol) and some other funk, ( i like mgs though, love it, but i could nvr think of a game so good that would make me want a ps2 over an xbox)

And you say you're not a fanboy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the value for money front, the PS2 may be cheaper but you need all the extras - memory cards, multipads and so forth. And no instant online access. Xbox on t'other hand has inbuilt Internet access (though it will cost you 60 euro to get online for a year - i reccomend going for a bundle option) and a hard drive.
    On the games front, both have exclusives, but those exclusives vary enermously. As said before, FPS are the best on Xbox - Halo Far Cry etc.. - but the PS2 tends to have more obscure exclusives - Ico, Gregory Horror etc...
    As they go, both consoles are much of a muchness. I have all three current gens, and tbh they are all on an equal level. As mentioned over and over, it all depends on what games you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, I believe next to the entry in the dictionary of Fanboy you will find that gentlemans avatar, hey, at least he can spell, not too hot on the punctuation though!
    Heck I guess even fanboys are allowed their point of view too, however daft/childish/moronic and just plain blinkered and ignorant they happen to be.
    Remember though, this is only about videogames, hardly the stuff that makes the world turn day in, day out, wait, does that make me some sort of reality fanboy? I can see it now....

Videogames Suk!!! RealLife kiks AS, Ha Ha take that you gamerz, Lozers all! LOL!!! (if offended please find irony in the dictionary, a little bit after fanboy actually)

All joking aside however, I do find the line "xbox rapes ps2" very offensive, I am not overly sensitive but feel some language is unacceptable, perhaps some input from the thread moderator would be helpful here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good post CiDer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Indeed, fanboyism of the highest order. You are banned from the Games forum for two weeks. Pm me then and I'll consider unbanning you.

As an aside to the crisis of which of the current top two consoles to get, spare a thought for the poor unfortunate Gamecube, please, please, there are so many homeless or unwanted machines out there, unhappy and facing a very uncertain future, yet for the price of a chart game you, the lucky consumer, could give one of these the christmas they deserve, and by buying a 2nd hand one together with Metroid Prime 1&2 together with Pikamin and maybe even a bit of Zelda can assure that this sad and lonely console can continue to provide years of enjoyment for very little outlay.

This post was sponsored by the unwanted console foundation, seeking to raise public awareness of tragically under-rated consoles and handhelds.
    Next time, The Jaguar, is it finally time to take it out back and put a bullet through its head, or can Tempest 2K really be reason enough to keep the ventilator switched on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ps2 has a wider range of games,rpgs, eyetoy games,family games ,but grafix on xbox are better and it has hd,can store game saves, memory cards fill up quickly on a ps2 ,every game on xbox has 5.1 suround sound, see what games u like then buy the console that has them,most good games are now released on both consoles,i find the xbox graphics much better ,with better lighting special effects shadows and textures. look at a game like conker reloaded ,theres no graphics like that possible on a ps2.u can store music on the xbox hardisk.if u like tekken or finalfantasy then u,ll have to get the ps2.games load faster on xbox cos it has hard disk storage of levels and game saves.and it has 4 controllers good for multiplayer and it has xbox live ,best online gaming service on any console,ps2 does really work online in my opinion.and theres dozens of crap games on the ps2 ,u cant just go by quantity,,quality is more important.

Advertisement