Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring on top of chipboard

Options
  • 15-11-2005 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

First post from me - would appreciate some flooring advice.
    I'm currently upgrading my floors. The house was built in the 70s and basically has raised floorboards (made out of chipboard) with fresh air underneath and are vented from the outside walls.

The problem is what to do if I want to say put in solid wood floorboards. Should I just put these down on top of the existing floorboards or would I need to rip out the originals. From what I've read on this board, putting down laminate or semi solid might be a better solution - involving less work!

I'd just like some guidance (rather than details installation instructions!) to help me sort through the general options, if anyone has dealt with this sort of set-up before.

Tks,
    Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Gavin
    When putting down a solid floor on it is alway advisable to place sheets of half to three quarter inch Ply, OSB, Fibre board and then secret nail the new floor on top. This will give you a very solid floor. You could remove one sheet of the chipboard at a time and replace it with sheets as mentioned and opt for solid floor (much better in the long run.) I wouldn't use the existing chipboard as it does degrade over time particularly if you hammer in new flooring

You can take this opportunity to do some internal clean/improvements as it will also expose all the wiring for sockets, etc. and allow you to make those changes you alway wanted, such as increasing the number of sockets etc, hidding telephone/TV wires. My house is the same vintage and I took the opportunity to remove loads of the crap assosiated with houses of the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hartytkd

Martin,
    Thanks for your help - lot to think about there. I guess ripping up the floorboards altogether would give me a lot more options. I'll need to sit down and think about how much money I can spend!

GH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Just one point on installing wooden floors.

Make sure you let the floor to be installed to acclimatise to the heat in your home before installing it. Easy way of doing it is unpack it and leave it in the room its going into for a few weeks. Same goes for the chipboard.

You don't want to install the floor and then have it expand when it starts to warm up, causing it bubble and lift.

Cheers

Fintan

Advertisement