Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"inaccessible boot device" Win 2000

• 15-11-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hope you can help me out.

I am having some problems with my desktop PC. Its a Compaq EVO running Win 2000 professional with SP4. Recently out of the blue when I turned it on I got the blue screen with the message Inaccessible boot device, and the machine would not boot up. I tried going into Safe Mode but the same thing happened. I decided it was time to stick a decent sized hard drive in the machine so I bought one and installed Win 2000 again. I thought this would definitely get rid of the inaccessible boot device error, and it did for a while but its now back again.

After doing some searching on the web, some people have suggested that it may be a boot virus and to try running fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console. Is this the best route to go down and will I need to reinstall everything again? Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well it's worth a try.
    And nope, you shouldn't have to reinstall after a fixboot/fixmbr... although I can't see it addressing the root cause if it's happened to two seperate harddrives.

Maybe the motherboards IDE controller is a bit on the dodgy side... maybe try a different IDE cable aswell.
    Personally I'd be looking for answers from Compaq... it may be a known fault... I'd check their website... maybe they have a bios update that addresses this.
    You should definitely check it out anyway, you'd be kicking yourself if there was a documented fix. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Thanks for the advice DonkeyStyle.

Last night, I installed the latest BIOS software and switched the IDE leads so that the cable that was in the CD is now in the hard drive. Seems to be booting fine for the moment. I didn't run the fixboot or fixmbr yet.

Hopefully I'm sorted now.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if it pops up again, boot the recovery console and run chkdsk

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Yeah it just popped up again last night. I had run a chkdsk previously but it didn't find any errors.

Going to try a fixmbr and fixboot tonight. If it is a boot virus and I run these, will it just get reinfected when I reboot into windows? Also, after doing a fixmbr and fixboot will I be able to boot in windows?

Thanks,
    Finn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Fix MBR and fix boot will do SFA I recon. The problem is occuring after "booting" and occurs while loading the OS.

Test your RAM with memtest86, although rare it can cause problems like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭retrospect

Are you getting a STOP: 0x0000007B (0x818B51B0, 0xC00000010, 0x00000000,0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message ?
    if so what codes are you getting ?
    maybe this will help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103

Advertisement