Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Threshold

• 15-11-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭

first off apologies i there is already a thread on this (searching disabled).

Has anyone been watching this show. I think it's on sky one now but I've been getting eps. sent over from my cousins (never gets old :D )

It's fun and kitsch and doesn't take itself too seriously, reminds me a bit of the x-files when it first started.
    Whats peoples opinions on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it alot at the start, but I think it is slowly running out of steam. There is an episode coming up called Escalation, which I hope is exactly that.....

There is only so much they can do with the 'missing crewman' story. The show needs a kick up the arse....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fnarr its ok, although alot of people seem to think its slow to start etc I got to say I like Surface as much if not more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, it was good at the start but seems to be slowing down a bit. I'm a little dissappointed that of all the 'Lost' inspired new shows in America, this is the one that Sky picked up on. Prison Break would have been a far better choice.

I hope it gains more momentum in the coming episodes though, the last few have been somewhat lacking
    except for your one's dream where she sees the future and they've lost to the aliens. The crystals growing on the ship are the start of this, so maybe the threat will start to escellate.

Still, I'll continue to watch it anyway. I'm sure they'll get more than one season out of it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Started out good and then got utterly lost.
    Invasion and surface hold up better.

I think surface is great too.... really enjoying it.
    Still not sure about Invasion - its very very slow to develop.

• Advertisement

I haven't started watching Invasion or Surface yet. I'm building up the episodes and will binge on them some weekend most likely. I also have a stash of Night Stalker and Killer Instinct for that too though. Prison Break, Threshold, Lost, Alias, Rome and Supernatural are enough to keep me going week on week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah i like it but it is a bit slow
    it was great to see ethan (from lost)in it, real evil
    liked surface aswell but it can be very cheesy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote:
    I hope it gains more momentum in the coming episodes though, the last few have been somewhat lacking
    except for your one's dream where she sees the future and they've lost to the aliens. The crystals growing on the ship are the start of this, so maybe the threat will start to escellate.

Indeed, that did make it interesting, damn shame their was no ep lastweek
    Bloody hope there's one this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Watched the fist few eps and just found it far too cliché'd, its bad sci fi mixed with political correctness, this show sucks balls on so many levals (imho) 2/10 , won't be watching it again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I thought this started tomorrow on Sky one...did I miss it?

Also,anyone know what channel have picked up Surface,if any? I want to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I've seen the first 8 episodes, I think 9 is on this week. Its kind of interesting, its just missing something at the moment but it could be a great show, i think they are missing the 'one' great character. The lead actress is not too good I think. She's also not attractive enough for us lads, who'll be watching it mostly after all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

elvis2002 wrote:
    I've seen the first 8 episodes, I think 9 is on this week. Its kind of interesting, its just missing something at the moment but it could be a great show, i think they are missing the 'one' great character. The lead actress is not too good I think. She's also not attractive enough for us lads, who'll be watching it mostly after all?

Not a bad synopsis there elvis2002, it is definately missing something, a great lead actor/ess would certainly help.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Are you crazy????

Shes a serious honey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

After just starting to watch it on Sky tonight, I'm very disappointed to see people's reactions about the show as it goes on, because I thought the pilot was pretty excellent.
    I just wish they avoided
    the obvious traffic jam shaping out to be the triple helix as the camera panned out!
    Anyway, I'm keeping my hopes high, I really liked it.

tvnutz wrote:
    I thought this started tomorrow on Sky one...did I miss it?
    Yes, it started tonight. But don't worry, it'll be repeated ad nauseum for the next week on Skys 1, 2 & 3.

And Necromomicon, keep watching. It is good and worth the watch, but it's just missing the certain something that makes a good show a great show. There isn't a new episode in the States 'till next Tuesday either. Why must every show take these bloody breaks every few weeks?

jor el wrote:
    Yes, it started tonight. But don't worry, it'll be repeated ad nauseum for the next week on Skys 1, 2 & 3.

And Necromomicon, keep watching. It is good and worth the watch, but it's just missing the certain something that makes a good show a great show. There isn't a new episode in the States 'till next Tuesday either. Why must every show take these bloody breaks every few weeks?
    I'll be sure to, I really enjoyed it. Seemed to be in a kind of 4400/Lost mold, where part of the mystery gets unfolded each show, which I'd find great (still glued to the 4400). As for the break in the States, I guess Sky are too far behind for me to notice that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I actually thought the premiere on Sky tonight was quite good,sad to hear it loses its way. It might pick though near the end of the season...if it lasts that long.

One thing...what did Ethan From Lost say when he was strangling your one? It was backwards but they played it back and he was saying something,but I couldn't make it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

s8n wrote:
    Are you crazy????

Shes a serious honey

saw the 2 hr opener last night and thought she had a nice bod in the silky night dress but her face runs it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Saw the pilot last night.

Story: Well, the idea of a program for encountering extra-terrestrial life is nice. The way the showed it, was somewhat, let's say, interesting.

Actors: The lady is hot alright. She acts in her role pretty ok. Brent Spiner is seen in an entirely new role, no longer Data from the Enterprise... He's playing very well. The rest does the usual job.

Questions:
    Why does the crewman suddenly have a video camera to record this UFO?
    Why can he hold the camera so steady so that the "Red Team" can see it without problems?
    Why do they destroy the site (the boat)? That's not the way it's handled in reality, besides, the ship didn't sink. If I want to destroy a ship I'll let it run full of water...
    This logo appears to be on every system on the ship. How is this possible? I think in reality it's not possible - the effect that was explained with Hiroshima and shadows on the wall is true, but completely different

All in all, the pilot was pretty ok, pretty interesting, will keep on watching. Maybe some of the questions will be answered. I don't read the spoilers here, I wanna see it as it goes along. If it isn't my thing, I have at least seen it.

tvnutz wrote:
    One thing...what did Ethan From Lost say when he was strangling your one? It was backwards but they played it back and he was saying something,but I couldn't make it out.
    Don't know, but it freaked the **** out of me when it was being played backwards!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

tvnutz wrote:
    One thing...what did Ethan From Lost say when he was strangling your one? It was backwards but they played it back and he was saying something, but I couldn't make it out.

I was pretty sure he was saying
    "You're one of us"
    but I don't have a link or tape to check back. Was sure when I was watching it though.

I'll be sure to, I really enjoyed it. Seemed to be in a kind of 4400/Lost mold, where part of the mystery gets unfolded each show, which I'd find great (still glued to the 4400).

I thought it was trying a bit too hard and a bit too obviously to be Lost / The 4400 (loving that show). From the title screen (Lost) to the music (The 4400), the look and the characters... it was like it had been done before and recently... now I've only seen the pilot so it's a little too early to add "and done better" to that but I only hope that the plot has the substance there to sustain interest... I'm not saying I thought it was bad, it seemed good enough and even if it does turn out that it's all been done before it doesn't matter if it's done well. I'm just a little apprehensive is all. Will keep watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I had high hopes for the show when I first saw it but it has since become mediocre and is unable to sustain my sci-fi requirements until BSG returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought it was pretty awful...

The two lead actors are so bland and uninteresting... oooh... she doesn't know what happened to her father, he has a mysterious scar...

The other three characters on the Threshold team are better a look like they might be capable of some decent character development.

A lot of the writing seems very heavy handed to me as well... like the script is being voilently bent to fit the story.

And why the hell were they so worried about a North Korean sub when the the ship was only 80 miles off the east coast of America..? Surely they could have got a larger force there than the crappy little helicopter... It just didn't make any sense.

The Outer Limits has dealt with the idea of bio-forming before... and they did it a lot better and in a more gripping and interesting way.

Episode 9 was one of the strongest episodes yet, but its too little too late.
    It doesn't seem that 2005 is going to be put down as the best year in the life of Brannon Braga.

Toward the beginning of the year, a show he co-created, "Star Trek: Enterprise," was cancelled by UPN. Now that we're at the end of the year, his latest show, "Threshold," has now been cancelled by CBS.

The word of the cancellation came from E! Online columnist Kristin Veitch made the announcement on the channel's Web site as many Americans were getting the turkey ready for the holidays.

The show, which starred Charles S. Hutton, Brian Van Holt, Peter Dinklage, Brent Spiner, Carla Gugino and Robert Patrick Benedict, has been anemic in the ratings ... especially as it went up against somewhat similar-cut series by ABC and NBC, who are producing "Invasion" and "Surface" respectively.

In its Friday timeslot, the show was earning as high as a 5.7 rating/10 share in overnight ratings of the top 40 television markets in the United States. However, after the show was moved to Tuesdays to make room for "Close To Home," ratings plummeted to a 4.4/7, equaling what the show had originally reran at.

It is not clear if the show will be removed from the schedule, or if all 12 episodes will be aired. The show's 10th episode, "The Crossing," is scheduled to air Nov. 29.
    Oh well.... :(

Advertisement