Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter cycling

Options
  • 15-11-2005 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Road/exercise cycling, not commuting.
    What do you wear?
    i've got a base layer and light rain jacket w/ cycling gloves that seems ok, can always put on an additional layer but what about tights?
    I've seen tights advertised as "winter", are they just a bit thicker or what?
    Or do you opt for any sort of rain/wind proof material?
    Was up the mountains Sunday morning just wearing my 3/4 bibs but was a bit cold in the lower extremities in particular including feet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

the rule is..wear more rather than less. You can always take clothing off.

I would definitely suggest you get winter tights as you're very sure to get some sort of knee injury riding in shorts in very cold weather.

I usually prefer to have a few layers, like t-shirt, winter cycling jacket and cycling bib (no sleeves) over the jacket rather than wear a rain jacket as it gets very sweaty and doesn't breeathe well.
    Personally I'd rather get a little wet as I have a lot of layer anyway.

Coming into winter I will be wearing my thick winter cycling longs and also 2 pairs of socks and when it really gets cold, I will use my over shoes and winter gloves.

Again, my general rule is that I'd rather be too warm.

hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Windproof (e.g Windtex, Gore windstopper) long tights are great. You can get good value ones in the Cycle Superstore. Winter tights are thicker and warmer. Overshoes make things a lot more comfortable once the temperatures start to drop. A thin skullcap that covers your ears and fits unter your helmet would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have adidas ClimaCool running tights that I wear over my cycling shorts. They are thin and work for me unless it is really freezing (then I put my waterproof leggings on for windproofing and warmth). My legs don't get too cold though my toes do.
    I recently bought a pair of CozyToes that fit over the front of my shoes (I thought Cycle SuperStore had them but can't find them on their site). These are a good help for the toes.

A few months ago I bought a sleeveless Nike Pro Vent tight shirt. It's quite tight but keeps my core quite warm. T-shirt and long sleeved versions exist too. I think JJB Sports in Tallaght have them (I'll be looking for another one tomorrow night).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cozy toes? Good god, what next? Earbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morgan wrote:
    Good god, what next? Earbags?
    Darn, no stores in Ireland (or even UK). ;)

The CozyToes (okay, a cheesy name), are simply short overshoes. Would Toe Cover be an okay name?

• Advertisement
Advertisement