Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

System files

• 15-11-2005 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm getting this message when trying to install a game
    C:/windows/system32/autoexe.nt.
    System files not suitable for running msdos and ms apps.

Also on another new game, my dvd rom won't even load up. I had a recent problem with a virus that's aim was to stop exe files, norton would detect it and delete it and I would get a message saying so, this happened for a few weeks and then stopped,I assumed the virus had been completly removed. Could the problem I'm having be a result of the virus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp
    ^ Could be worth trying the suggestion in that mskb article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks Donkeystyle, that seems to be the problem ok, my problem now is that I cant access the backslash key on this keyboard, I'm getting the # without shift,~ with shift. I am getting the backslash in command screen but it has an arrow pointing up above it.Is it possoble to change the assigment on keys in XP.
    Sorry for being suck a dumba** but If I usually need a key I can't access I just copy and paste, won't work in command.

Have a look for "Regional and Language Options" in your control panel.
    On the "Languages" tab, click "details"... from here you should confirm that your keyboard is set to the correct region.
    For example, a US keyboard would have the @ and " reversed compared to a UK keyboard... so this may be your problem.
    I remember my brothers canadian keyboard was a bit crazy for slashes.

Thanks again, one more question if I could.
    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
    exit
    I have to put this code into the command prompt, do I include the word expand
    ie, expand F:\i386\config etc, because I'm getting cant find path message without it and a path does not exist with it. Again thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

Yeah, expand is the command and everything after that are the perameters, so your example above is correct.
    The CD you've got in F:\ though, is that a proper XP install CD? or is it some manufacturers "recovery disk"? ... it muddies the water a bit.
    Just try navigating to that path in a regular explorer window, see if the files are where they should be.

FYI, I tried it here, just to jog my memory...
    expand H:\i386\config.nt_ c:\
    ...worked just fine for me.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot donkeystyle, that worked out fine. I've been having that same problem for months with the occasional program or game, fixed now, cheers.
    oH I should add, the cd is an old new game, GP legends, which i guess was the problem , wasn't made for XP, which when I think about most of the problems I've had with the error message,autoexe, have all been older apps or games.

Cool, glad it all worked out.

I know what you mean about the older games though, a few times I'd see a game I hadn't played in 3 or 4 years and decide to give it another go, but to no avail... XP has a "compatibility mode" for older software, but I've mostly found it useless. :/

Advertisement