Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

184,000 dsl customers - Nov 10th 2005

Options
  • 15-11-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1115/eircom.html
    Eircom said it had 164,000 broadband customers by the end of September, almost double the number compared with a year earlier. Another 20,000 had been added by November 10.

Add the wireless and cable customers and it looks like Ireland has over 200,000 broadband customers. What a milestone!

eircom also say they are announcing a VoIP Business product tomorrow. Will they need to increase upload speed on their broadband products for this I wonder? Or is this product only for those on leased lines and a way of cashing on on the VoIP buzzword?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

finally and if somewhat belatedly the penny has dropped:

"Chief executive Dr Phil Nolan said the growth in broadband connections and interconnect traffic had offset the decline in traditional voice traffic."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

damien.m wrote:
    eircom also say they are announcing a VoIP Business product tomorrow.

yeah uhh, afaik they've had one for quite a while. Look at one of their partner compainies. Lan Communications and they install/set-up/maintain VoIP networks for businesses. The only reason I know this cos in a place I worked thats who was setting up the VoIP system. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Should be interesting to see will they ever bring out a Home VoIP product, think of all those IBB & NTL customers they could sell it to ;)
    Then again I'm sure it will piss loads of current Eircom PSTN customers off when they see how cheap VoIP is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some interesting figures

Asset Class
    Estimated Economic Life (Years)
    Network Plant:

Transmission Equipment & Duct - 20
    Overhead cable/poles - 10-15
    Underground cable - 14

It's slightly difficult to see which figures are for which but if I read them correctly then eircom have a lot to answer for. Why the hell are there poles with P&T written on them? And what about all those manhole covers with P&T stamped on them? I understood that the P&T ceased to exist over 20 years ago.

But how silly of me! Depreciation is an expense and that means no tax payable. As opposed to making sure the network was at a consistent and acceptable standard instead of the current patchy maintenance with example after example of neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Cabaal wrote:
    Should be interesting to see will they ever bring out a Home VoIP product, think of all those IBB & NTL customers they could sell it to ;)
    Then again I'm sure it will piss loads of current Eircom PSTN customers off when they see how cheap VoIP is :D

i thought VoIP was free .. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I noticed in the independent article they claim that the number of landlines is not dropping as a lot of people are buying holiday homes. They mentioned something about a new holiday home landline scheme focussed on internet connectivity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

machalla wrote:
    I noticed in the independent article they claim that the number of landlines is not dropping as a lot of people are buying holiday homes.

They are installing and rconnecting for free most of the time nowadays , that also helps explain it. There is no published holiday home scheme ........yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i thought VoIP was free .. ??
    No. You still need a provider, and that provider still has to negotiate interconnects with the traditional providers, which means they have to pay, which means you have to pay.
    Generally VoIP -> VoIP calls are free, but VoIP -> POTS/ISDN calls are chargeable, albeit at a much lower rate than normal (especially for international calls).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seamus wrote:
    No. You still need a provider, and that provider still has to negotiate interconnects with the traditional providers, which means they have to pay, which means you have to pay.
    Generally VoIP -> VoIP calls are free, but VoIP -> POTS/ISDN calls are chargeable, albeit at a much lower rate than normal (especially for international calls).

I couldn't have said it better myself :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement