Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Clinic ....

• 15-11-2005 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I think this is a great sunday night show .. anyone else agree. I thought last week's episode was one of the best pieces of drama I'd seen in ages, the doctor's wife had Hodgkinsons (sp?) disease, the acting was superb. I don't usually get emotional watching tv, but I damn near shed a tear. I like Fiona's character, and it's great to see Geraldine Plunkett, the Cathy and Dan affair is sizzling, and by the look of the trailer it's gonna blow soon. I also think the psychologist is played very well ... they're a pretty good looking bunch, plenty to keep us all happy ... shame David Wilmot left last series (Ed). I heard it being criticised for using the doctors & nurses for the storylines, but like in fairness, it'd be a bloody huge cast if they had to use the patients every week, and the patients do have storylines too ... any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I heard it being criticised for using the doctors & nurses for the storylines

Yeah I think the Time's Hillary Fannin said that.

I don't know, I liked the last two series but havn't really got into this series.

They might repeat at some stage.

But I think its a great replace ment for ER.

Pity it only gets 10 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Exceptionally well made and shot, and crucially for RTÉ, the acting is superb.

The only let down this season has been the scripting - quite poor in places.
    Agreed last week's episode was really excellent - the best yet - but previous episodes have been very scrappy and directionless at times, and so boringly methodical in nature. Liam Fay in the Sunday Times perfectly summed it up describing how Cathy was constantly walking in on Daisy doing the wrong thing, or messing about, at exactly the right time.
    Other conincidences like that are so patronising to the viewer and so obviously constructed and staged as to make the drama laughable at times.

But by and large it is superb - if they keep up there substance that's been there in the past two weeks, there's definitely room for a fourth and fifth series.

It's doing very well for RTÉ too - got well over 500,000 two weeks ago, and looks like it's steadily increasing. Yet again RTÉ have proved that Irish people want to watch Irish programming - all of the top rating programmes in Ireland are Irish, by a long shot.
    The Clinic beating ER hands down merely sets it in concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

It was Huntingtons Disease not Hodgkins that the doctors wife had.

Huntingtons

Actually Pure Mule also told us Irish People want Irish Drama with over 500,000 viewers on RTE TWO.

Caught it there last night (repeat)

Yeah very well done. It seems to be alot faster then previous seasons, which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Very good show. Some great storylines and good acting. I think this season is coming to an end soon though?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Good show nice talent esp Clodagh and Daisy, tasty women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

was that an AA group meeting Dan went in to at the end or GA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

It was a drug addiction group, I think Dan had a drug problem in the past .. thanks for the Huntingtons spot people, very remiss of me. Don't know how many more eps left, lastnights programme seemed not to focus on one character, but spreaded it out a bit ... Dan is a strong character, hope he survives it through to next series. Liking the new doctor more and more, sweet.

I think all the actors are good looking in this, literally all of them, can't think of one bad looking one, even Geraldine Plunkett is nice if you're of that vintage, finally some 'talent' on an RTE show ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

The Clinic has about as much concern for character as a sadistic puppeteer with a scalpel does for a sick marionette (or Harold Shipman for medical ethics)

originally posted by guest31:
    I think all the actors are good looking in this, literally all of them, can't think of one bad looking one...

ehhh...
    ...even Geraldine Plunkett is nice if you're of that vintage...

Jurassic? wtf?!

• Advertisement

The Clinic has about as much concern for character as a sadistic puppeteer with a scalpel does for a sick marionette (or Harold Shipman for medical ethics)

That's a bit mean. But I would agree I don't think there are many "characters" in the Clinic. Except for the guy who left a few weeks a go.

But then their are very few dramas that look at character these days.

It is very well acted and produced IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I only started watching it because my cousin is in it but I'm really after getting in to it now, it's a great show. Some brilliant acting. Puts the likes of Fair City to shame.

Advertisement