Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Swords

Options
  • 15-11-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Feel free to move this post should it be posted in the incorrect location.

I’ve recently started looking at properties in swords.

I’m a first time buyer with a budget of up to €350k

I’m not too familiar with Swords, as I only know the main street.

Are there areas in Swords to avoid?
    What areas would you recommend?

What are peoples views of living in Swords?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pablo80

Feel free to move this post should it be posted in the incorrect location.

I’ve recently started looking at properties in swords.

I’m a first time buyer with a budget of up to €350k

I’m not too familiar with Swords, as I only know the main street.

Are there areas in Swords to avoid?
    What areas would you recommend?

What are peoples views of living in Swords?

Thank you for your help in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I work in Swords. Its not a bad spot actually. Its growing very fast. lots of bulding going on. The Pavillion is under going a massive extension. Anyone I know who lives here is very happy.

Id live here if i had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Go to the top menu - shop - accomodation/property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I've lived in Swords pretty much all my life, and I have to say, its not a bad place to buy. There is good life in the town, and the commute to town isn't too bad. There are two areas in Swords really - the core of the town, and then a lot of housing estates that have sprung up in the last couple of years.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy in Applewood. I don't mean any offense to anyone living there - it's just an opinion. I don't like it because the properties are all crammed together, and most of them are rented, which means there is no real feeling of community. Handy little village there tho, with pretty much everything you need.

The town itself is busteling now, and, with the advent of the Pavillions, you don't have to go into town unless you want to. I believe they are building cinemas in there now as well, which is great. Also a good selection of pubs catering to pretty much every taste. I think you'd have good choice with your budget - if you're looking at somewhere in particular, feel free to PM me with questions, and I'll let you know my opinion. but most places are good. It also depends on what you want, where you work, kids etc..

hope that helps a little,
    Caimin

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine closer to the better bus routes would be good. Note airport noise and the proposed second runway. The shopping centre in River Valley looks rough, but I'm not sure what he residents are like. Lots of new neighbourhoods like Applewood that are only starting to settle down now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I used to live in Swords (Swords Manor). Dont know why the previous poster doesnt like applewood. We used to walk about 10 mins to the pub or Resteraunt in Applewood. Applewood Village is a great spot. Its like living in a small village as far as i can see. Everything you need is there. Looks great with the decorations at christmas too. Go and have a look.
    Only place in Swords i would avoid is River Valley though. Take a walk through anywhere you're thinking of buying though to get a feel for the place.
    Swords village is fantastic for a night out too. The Pavillions is good but too hard to get in and out of with the traffic it generates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have to say, I think the lights in Applewood are great. I just don't really like the area, as I said it's just a personal thing. It used to be all fields when I were a lad! now its all identikit apartments, and its a bit crowded for my liking. The traffic around the pavillions is a lot better since they widened the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pablo80

I viewed a property in Castleview last night
    House is nice but houses are crammed together.

I’m viewing another house in Valleyview tomorrow.

What’s this area like?

http://www4.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=254240&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

pablo80 wrote:
    I viewed a property in Castleview last night
    House is nice but houses are crammed together.

I’m viewing another house in Valleyview tomorrow.

What’s this area like?

http://www4.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=254240&np=&rt=search&searchlist=

Afraid houses are crammed together everywhere these days. You should look at the difference between the garden sizes in castleview and bunbury gate (only accross the road). Bunbury gate was built a year after castleview and the gardens are a third the size.
    They build smaller gardens and more costly houses each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Avoid, CastleView, I rented there, houses are overpriced and made of cardboard, you can hear everything going between rooms, bad build quality if you ask me.

Bunbury Gate looked really solid. I live in Boroimhe, have done for 2.5 years, best built houses in Swords if you ask me, close to the airport, but the runway runs perpendicular to the estate so we don't have any aircraft flying directly overhead, ie not in any flight paths, but we do hear some engine noise from time to time, but I don't think its a problem.

mrbungle wrote:
    Avoid, CastleView, I rented there, houses are overpriced and made of cardboard, you can hear everything going between rooms, bad build quality if you ask me.

Bunbury Gate looked really solid. I live in Boroimhe, have done for 2.5 years, best built houses in Swords if you ask me, close to the airport, but the runway runs perpendicular to the estate so we don't have any aircraft flying directly overhead, ie not in any flight paths, but we do hear some engine noise from time to time, but I don't think its a problem.

Oh dont remind me of the pain.
    My sister lives in Boroimhe. Its the one place in Swords i think i would avoid like the plague. Whenever i have stayed there i cant sleep with the noise of the planes. They stop around 2am for some reason and then i'm woken up at 6am when they seem to start again.

Sis says she doesnt notice them anymore, but whenever anyone comes to visit they cant get a nights sleep, so i'm not alone. I measured it on a map one day and Boroimhe is about 1 - 1.5 miles from the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

RyanAir are the culprits and the older 737-200 aircraft are the problems here. They are being phased out over the next few months and most of the problem will be gone.

To be honest anyone who stays over here doesn't have a problem. I work shift and don't get woken up, day or night.

i guess i have bad memories of a couple of nights and that has tarnished my view. I should have said too that it wasnt all the time that there was noise. Just seemed to be when planes are taking off and landing in a particular direction.

Advertisement