Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Satelite Broadband 2 way. help Please.

• 15-11-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    heres the problem....
    " I need a 2 way internet access system that will mount on top of a medium sized coach".

Now I've found a few uk sites that will do this for me (www.transleisure.co.uk) but the price for connection is high. What I'm looking to find out is, can I use their equipment and use my own ISP (?) to provide the two way Internet Access? Can you recommend any providers? Any tips/suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to some interesting replies!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pablo21 wrote:
    " I need a 2 way internet access system that will mount on top of a medium sized coach".

Now I've found a few uk sites that will do this for me (www.transleisure.co.uk) but the price for connection is high. What I'm looking to find out is, can I use their equipment and use my own ISP (?) to provide the two way Internet Access?

In a nutshell NO!

The dish must be very very very very precisely aligned for the uplink portion in 2 way sat. You fire a tiny signal at an object 30 000 KM up . As well as that you need a licence, Comreg would be pissed off to hear about a randomly mobile VSAT ground station I would wager !

How about 80cm dish , one way sat and mobile phones for the uplinks ???

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Sponge Bob wrote:
    In a nutshell NO!

The dish must be very very very very precisely aligned for the uplink portion in 2 way sat. You fire a tiny signal at an object 30 000 KM up . As well as that you need a licence, Comreg would be pissed off to hear about a randomly mobile VSAT ground station I would wager !

How about 80cm dish , one way sat and mobile phones for the uplinks ???

Hey Spongebob, Thanks for your reply. I probably didnt make it clear in my original post but I already know this works and there is no issue with comreg otherwise every static sattelite user in the country would be in trouble! I've found a couple of companies that provide the dish and equipment(modems etc). I've fitted these before to a luxury coach for Portmarnock Golf Club but only for Sky access so I know it can track the sattelite acuratley even to a certain extent when its on the move (which is really cool!!Gyroscopes are deadly!!). The mobile dish they provide is guarenteed to lock onto and communicate with the sat provider inside 5 minutes from any location in Europe. The uk company that will provide the two way system are offering themselves as the isp for the two way so as you can imagine its working out expensive. They have to be reselling it. I know there are lots of two way providers out there but I'm just looking for a reliable one and at a reasonable cost! All info greatly appreciated as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

pablo21 wrote:
    I've found a couple of companies that provide the dish and equipment(modems etc).

Have you found any company that have actually installed one of these gyroscope antennas for 2-way internet and not just TV? I'd imagine that the margin of error is much smaller for 2-way internet than for reception of Sky etc.
    pablo21 wrote:
    I've fitted these before to a luxury coach for Portmarnock Golf Club but only for Sky access so I know it can track the sattelite acuratley even to a certain extent when its on the move (which is really cool!!Gyroscopes are deadly!!). The mobile dish they provide is guarenteed to lock onto and communicate with the sat provider inside 5 minutes from any location in Europe.

Do you require access while driving or just when the vehicle is parked? If the former, then something like Inmarsat BGAN or Thuraya might be more applicable.

http://regionalbgan.inmarsat.com/
    http://www.thuraya.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Zaphod wrote:
    Have you found any company that have actually installed one of these gyroscope antennas for 2-way internet and not just TV? I'd imagine that the margin of error is much smaller for 2-way internet than for reception of Sky etc.

Do you require access while driving or just when the vehicle is parked? If the former, then something like Inmarsat BGAN or Thuraya might be more applicable.

http://regionalbgan.inmarsat.com/
    http://www.thuraya.com/

Hi Zaphod, from the original post, www.transleisure.co.uk will supply and fit the piece of kit I'm looking for. Just to clarify, I dont need the equipment or verification on whether it will or will not work. I know it works and have priced and verified the equipment to do the same. Visit motosat.com for information on the make and model I'm using. What I am looking for is someone with experience with using two way satellite providers and which one they would recomend. The equipment cost is around €8000 which is o.k but the monthly tariff's their offering just dont exactly suit my needs so that's why I'm looking for information on the ISP's for two-way service! Sorry if my post's were confusing. Hope this clears up what I'm looking for!!! Thx for your posts.....

Just be careful that most 2-way sat ISPs require you to use their equipment only and won't allow you to mix and match equipment from other suppliers.

Are you sure the Motosat equipment is usable here? It appears to be very much geared to DirecWay which isn't available in Europe and wouldn't be compatible with European ISPs either.

Sat ISP list:
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=10950ca7ae93fc7ba376c51a73397c0c&cmd=browse&category_id=5

Alt. supplier:
    http://www.brownstoneit.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Zaphod wrote:

Are you sure the Motosat equipment is usable here? It appears to be very much geared to DirecWay which isn't available in Europe and wouldn't be compatible with European ISPs either.

DirecWay is Hughes and is most certainly available in Europe. I was one of the first DirecWay users in Ireland. Like all 2 Way sat systems the latency is brutal, Upload speeds poor and HNSE have a draconian 'Fair Access Policy' .

Motosat can only be used when stationary.

Franky, these days I would look at 3G / GPRS unless you are going to very remote places.

.brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

pablo21 wrote:
    I already know this works and there is no issue with comreg

I was under the impression that 2-way required a license, and that SpongeBob was right. 1-way doesn't becuase you're not transmitting/broadcasting anything. You also seem to be mixing up 2-way and 1-way (by mentioning that Sky installs are in the same boat, which they're not). 2-way's generall require much better precision for this very reason.

.cg

bminish wrote:
    DirecWay is Hughes and is most certainly available in Europe. I was one of the first DirecWay users in Ireland.

Do Hughes sell their product direct to the customer or via resellers? Do you know whose service Digiweb use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Zaphod wrote:
    Do you know whose service Digiweb use?

Gilat.

None of these guys sell direct to the customer given the complexity of 2 Way installs (not for you of course Zaphod with THAT sat detector ) and the resellers sort out the licencing on the uplink as part of the overall install.

You do see second hand Gilat and Hughes gear on ebay but if you wanted to self install you would still need the uplink licence and a monthly contract from a reseller such as Digiweb/Mediasat/Educom . There are quite a few decommissioned VSAT rigs in Ireland nowadays of course.

Dunno who resells the Inmarsat BGAN gear but I though we were (just) out of footprint and that our BGAN sat is still on the launch pad in French Guyana .

No matter, sats are best used as a 1 way broadcast device not for 2 way ultra high latency guaranteed applications. I suggest the OP put all of
    • a Clearwire box
    • and a 3G/GPRS external antenna and PCMCIA card inside
    on the roof of the van instead and select the best coverage at the time.

No directionality required and no complex tuning of antenna each time you park because they are all omnis . If you want 1 way Astra 2 reception then always park the bus on the flat and BUY A ****ING COMPASS !

Advertisement