Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Insulation Questions

• 15-11-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been following the threads on Insulation. alot of people talk about "Maxing" out the insulation in order to acheive greater thermal resistance. I intend to do the same and was wondering what can I go to in the cavity (100mm). I think the regs say 50mm and people usually put in 50 - 65 mm but could you go as much as 80 to 85 mm, do you have to maintain a minimum amount of "free sapce" in the cavity. (In the Kingspan brochures it says 40mm for the Thermawall TW50 Product and 25mm for the Kooltherm K8)

However I was looking at a house the other day and the full width of the cavity was taken up the Insulation, it was Aerobord I think but cannot be sure.

anyone any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi,

Below is an example of some of the U values for the TW50 range

The u'values of all three TW50 thicknesses are:
    60mm = 0.27
    80mm = 0.22
    100mm = 0.19

You have to increase your cavity size to accommodate either 80mm or 100mm (40mm minimum space required).

The K8 range from Kingspan is at least twice the price of the TW50 range with little difference in U values. The k8 range offers better fire resistance only.

Regards

Advertisement