Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please...

Options
  • 15-11-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna buy a car, eventually. I can drive, but it'll be my fist insurance.
    I'm looking to spend in and around the €4k-€5k mark.
    Any advice on a nice car please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

a polo or an ibiza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Could get a Fiesta for that price! With a nice spec also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yea, to be honest, I'm being a bit snobby about the whole thing. I don't want a Fiesta. I was looking at the Focus (just a little expensive, but I could stretch a few grand for the right car), or possiably a Peuogt 306 (but I've been warned against french cars, which I think might be a bit unfair)

As for the Polo - I'd prefer a golf, I taught (no offense) the polo was a little bit girlie...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I started off on a Golf, but it wasn't cheap. They are pretty good investments as cars go though. You will of course pay an insurance premium for driving a 1.4 rather than a car with a very small engine (900cc to 1100cc).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Praetorian wrote:
    I started off on a Golf, but it wasn't cheap. They are pretty good investments as cars go though. You will of course pay an insurance premium for driving a 1.4 rather than a car with a very small engine (900cc to 1100cc).
    Well I was planning on a 1.4 - I'm prepared to take the hit. A golf is a bit too expensive €10K for the newer models?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Look at Seat Leons or Skoda Octavias to get a Golf for less, 6/7K will get you a Leon roughly the same as a 9/10K golf, I think octavias would be similarly priced

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might get a 2000 Leon for €7k from a private seller but you will pay more than that from a dealer. Also the Octavia was not available in 1.4 before 2001 and used prices are quite strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I bought an Ibiza a while back. Tough as nails!

Any of these are fine, as long as they have been cared for:

*Corolla
    *Ibiza\polo
    *Golf
    *Starlet
    *Micra

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I'd check insurance first. I started on a 1.4 as I was more or less in the same boat, wanted something with a bit of power. Sounded all good until the bills rolled in. Wished then I went for a 1.0 or 1.1. 3 years later and I had a 2.0 V6.

If ever you were going to go for a small car, its now. If its your first insurance, I presuming its your first car. Jap cars are usually the best for what you get and the reliability and running costs especially if you're on a budget.

A Micra is a good option. Your budget should get you an alright one. Importantly you won't lose much on it so you can upgrade in a year to two and the hit will be less as you'll have more NCB etc. Remember there are tax costs as well as petrol costs involved too.

If you can't bear to go for that and want the 1.4, try a Focus and see if you like that. Test drive a few mentioned as well. A bit of shoe leather and you'll know what you like. If you're a cash buyer, you're laughing.

Advertisement