Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney lining repair

Options
  • 15-11-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

We have a problem with a chimney in a 1950s 3bed semi. The lining needs doing. It is either cracked from subsidence or a fire. I do not know which
    and have only been in the house 2 years. Anyone know how much it costs to get fixed? I had one guy out who sounded like he was good but he said we would have to open the flue in 2 or 3 places and it would cost a few grand (no quote/estimate yet but he said roughly 4 grand).
    If that is what has to be done then so be it but does anyone know if that is the normal procedure. I did get it done in an older house but it had huge chimneys and they used flexible liner and it cost a quarter of what I now expect to have to pay.

Desmo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Desmo,

What are you using the chimney for ? solid fuel (open fire) gas fire, oil or wood burning stove ?

A lot depends on the use the chimney is put to, the type of chimney brick, block, lined or not, the damage and how bad is it.

The only way IMO that anyone can give you any real advice is to survey the chimney, there are different systems available, sadly there is no one size fit's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Hi Pete:

it is just a small open fire that would be used for occasional burning of wood
    or briquettes. We tried it once and the house filled with smoke coming from somewhere upstairs. It looks like a cracked flue but we do not know unless someone sticks a small boy or a camera thingy up.

Des

Hi Desmo,

A digital camera can answer a lot of questions,

I'm not sure if this photo will load but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Desmo,

A digital camera can answer a lot of questions,

I'm not sure if this photo will load but worth a try.

That loaded fine. That looks like an older chimney (brick lined?) and easier to get the camera in for a look. Are you saying to try sticking a camera up with me hand and a flash and try to photograph it in order to see what is wrong?
    I will try anyway; this could be fun (I will put the kids on the job :-).

Des

Hi Desmo,

That pic gave me a lot of info, you could probably run a twenty questions on it and still have loads in reserve.

Just reach in as far as you can and take a couple of shots, suprising how off centre the camera can go, then take a lower shot of the gather to the flue then another of the fireplace.

Does your stack have adjoining flues like from an upstairs fireplace ? or do you share with neighbours ?

Might as well take photo of the chimney outside as well, the more info the better, no family photos needed :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement