Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet

• 15-11-2005 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Anyone here have UTV broadband. Am signing up to UTV talk with free calls and someone told me that broadband for 29 a month includes line rental as it says one bill covers broadband and UTV talk.
    Is the service any good or even their dial up if i Don't go for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

€29.99 BB does not include line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

kaizersoze wrote:
    €29.99 BB does not include line rental.

and they charge for going over the CAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

And if you're on the 2mb package they'll give you the 1mb package and then give you the run around when you ask them to fix it and basically blame Eircom and do nothing about it but still charge you the full €45 (or is it €40 now).

Basically if you're looking for a broadband service I'd strongly advise against it. Their phone package is top notch though it pains me to admit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I have been using UTV Clicksilver broadband and their telephony package since it first became available. Line rental charges are payable on top of the basic package €29.99c per month cost.

This is simply because the telephone line running into your home still belongs to €irCoN, and you pay UTV the cost, and they then have to pay most of it too them to gain access to your home. Basically €irCoN still have an illegal monopoly on the last mile of telephone cable entering your home ?..:( .

However, I have found UTV to be a fair and decent company to deal with, which made a big difference to my online usage and telephony costs after being totally ripped-off by €irCoN.

P.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If BB costs that much, then it wouldn't be worth my while as I have it at work so only need dial up at home. Anyone use their as u go dial up or can u still use eircom one or even flat rate any good?
    Definitely changing to their phone service, it seems excellent.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote:
    If BB costs that much, then it wouldn't be worth my while as I have it at work so only need dial up at home. Anyone use their as u go dial up or can u still use eircom one or even flat rate any good?
    Definitely changing to their phone service, it seems excellent.

I used to use thier dial up years ago before broadband and had no issues at all. they were very cheap at the time as well.

The best value for BB over the phoneline is BT.
    1mb with 12gb cap = €25 (incl. line rental) for the first 4 months. €40 after that with 6 month contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Paddy20 wrote:
    I have been using UTV Clicksilver broadband and their telephony package since it first became available. Line rental charges are payable on top of the basic package €29.99c per month cost.

This is simply because the telephone line running into your home still belongs to €irCoN, and you pay UTV the cost, and they then have to pay most of it too them to gain access to your home. Basically €irCoN still have an illegal monopoly on the last mile of telephone cable entering your home ?..:( .

However, I have found UTV to be a fair and decent company to deal with, which made a big difference to my online usage and telephony costs after being totally ripped-off by €irCoN.

Irrespective of what you may think of them as a company Eircom do not have an ''illegal monopoly''.

kaizersoze wrote:
    The best value for BB over the phoneline is BT.
    1mb with 12gb cap = €25 (incl. line rental) for the first 4 months. €40 after that with 6 month contract.

It's €30 p.m isn't it and €15 for the 1st 4 months? You only get the discount for the 1st 4 months if you are a first time user of broadband, if you are switching its €30 p.m from the start.

It's €15 p/m if you don't bundle it with line rental and €30 after the 4 months.
    You're right that the offer is only available to new connections.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's €15 p/m if you don't bundle it with line rental and €30 after the 4 months.
    You're right that the offer is only available to new connections.

Sorry yeah you're right if you include line rental.

Does anyone know if I change my telephone to UTV (which seems excellent) then can I still get my bb off someone else e.g. imagine 9.99 offer?

TheDriver wrote:
    Does anyone know if I change my telephone to UTV (which seems excellent) then can I still get my bb off someone else e.g. imagine 9.99 offer?

It depends on the company, some require you to switch line rental to them, others don't. Although Imagine don't directly say that you need to switch your line they do talk about it in the FAQ:
    9. How long will it take to set up?
    Your line transfers in around 10 working days from receipt of your order; this is also the same for your broadband connection.

So I wouldn't be too sure, you should just quickly ring them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Or click on:- www.utvinternet.com/
    They have a very comprehensive online F.A.Q. plus even a users forum ;) .

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A user forum? Never seen that...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MarkR wrote:
    A user forum? Never seen that...

news.utvinternet.com in your newsreader (outlook express for instance) as the server and then utv.support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

news.utvinternet.com in your newsreader (outlook express for instance) as the server and then utv.support

only if connected to UTV at the time though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    only if connected to UTV at the time though...

Yeah! It keeps out the rif raf :D:v::D:v::rolleyes:

If the BB doesn't include line rental then how come they say it includes UTV talk? Lesson in grammar there! Do they mean that its that price if you also use UTV talk?
    Does anyone have the phone package, is it literally line rental and nothing else if u only use free calls.

They're are 3 different products involved.
    1. Broadband
    2. Calls (UTV Talk)
    3. Line rental
    Each can be offered on their own or a part of a bundle.
    BB is €2 extra if you don't sign up for Talk.
    The calls included in UTV Talk are genuinely free.
    If you sign up for all 3 the total cost is €29 + €24.18 = €53.18.
    The BT equivilant is €25 (incl. line rental) for the first 4 months, increasing to €40 after that. Calls are extra after that but are cheaper than Eircom.
    If you use the phone alot then the UTV offer would probably be better value, but remember they will screw you for going over the 8gb cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

How much does it cost for the 2MB BT Broadband if you order Talk or Talk Plus aswell?
    I can see the €25/40 + €10 line rental if you have Broadband & Line Rental with them but what about with the Talk packages too?
    I can only see €39 including line rental for Talk Plus and no charge for Talk - is that right?
    So for 2MB Broadband + Line Rental + BT Talk, is it just €25/40 + €10 + all calls on top of that at the rates listed for Talk?
    It's unclear as to how they would price 2MB Broadband + Line Rental + BT Talk Plus. I'm sure it's not €25/40 + €10 + €39 + calls at rates listed for Talk Plus other than local/national which would be free. They wouldn't include line-rental twice would they? It's included in the Talk Plus charge but also charged at €10 a month if you have broadband too. So what do they charge for line-rental in that case, does anyone know?

Talk plus can be added to BB plus with line rental for an extra €14.82p/m.
    I got that from their live customer support cause I couldn't find it on their website either.

Advertisement