Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indipendant college mag?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

TomTom wrote:
    ok, get a name sorted and then we ask netsoc to set that up as a subdomain and get some space. I'll cover the costs of that with netsoc as i'm working. Once up then we should setup a site structure similar to a paper. in a similar fashon to unisons site. While thats been setup maybe people write what they want without assigning roles and we all then review each other work and from that we can dicide who is strongest in certain areas. If anyone who is interisted in wiriting was to choose a topic from a list like below and write an article over the next week then we could get the ball rolling and have something to work with content wise.

Just putting this as a proposed list, if you want it changed just post and i'll edit it.
    • College News
    • Local News (will try get stuff from the nationalist)
    • National news that will effect students (suppose we can take snippits from national papers)
    • Sport, national
    • Sport, local and college
    • Current Affairs
    • Local History (Iamxavier)
    • Amenities, local and college (Iamxavier)
    • Sections on bus and train timetables and transport in general
    • Technology
    • Clubs and socs
    • LGB Issues
    • Feedback
    • Jokes, puzzles and stuff (TomTom)

i'd very much like to scribble on about the eircom league in national sport, i'm afraid i'm not as well in the now on the gaa as i should be i'm a asual gaa supporter, i'm also a huge music fanboy/nerd so i'd be happy to help on music maybe an ICon page? aka irish content (music wise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

You can put me down for technology.. Also i'd love to be on the editorial team.. perhaps even be in involved in feedback response :) No doubt owen will be doing the LGB issues... i'd love to do some wee puzzles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sure I thought that everyone would be involved in the feedback part of it.

Monk would also be interested writing about technologies, but he seems to be a bit forum shy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ok meeting has to be arranged, is there anyway of including my in it via skyp or something similar?

I'll update names to the list in a bit. Has anyone had contact with eoin to see if he can write an article just to be sure.

I'd say we will get a lot of people wanting to write about the same issues so I think draft articles should be submitted and reviewed by an editorial team. Just in my opinion there should be 3 or 5 members of the editorial team, this way there is never an even vote and its looked at from different views. I'd love to be on it but as i'm not in the college i'll step back if ye want and let students do it.

I figure picking of an editorial team should be done in the forum of nominate, second and elect.

I also think we might be better moving this entir magazine to the bitbucket forums. I want to talk to paul about a few thing in relation to that but we are very public domain here and its just a college thing after all.

Eh I think it's perfect here, for the time being. When we have the site up and running we can have a forum for editors and main writers.

I would like to be on the editorial team also. I think you should too tomtom as you have put alot effort into it.

So someone pick a date and we will meet then. I would have no problem meeting friday.

By the looks of things it won't be done until after xmas. I would like to get one issue out before then though.

• Advertisement

In that case I nominate S4DD

eh? nominate me for what?

And i do think a more private or at least "dedicated" forum would be called for at some stage. There are alot of topics to be discussed, so multiple threads of discussion would be preferable.

Also, myself and tom were looking through different website CMS solutions last night and i think we found the perfect one... i "think" tom agrees, but i don't want to put words in his mouth ;) Either myself or Tom should have a working test site set up sometime today so the rest of you crazy cats can have a look.

Aye, I agree. Its designed for what we are hoping to do and would be perfect for it. I'll have mine uptoday so people can play with it.

nominate for editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cyperplex

If any of u guys need help about the new mag, just drop me a message and i will let ya know .. i know what you's all are saying about the blurb and its lack of interesting (any) information !!!

I would be glad to assist ya's in any way i can

Owen Corcoran
    Societys Officer /Lgb Officer IT Carlow

• Advertisement

mmm, we have a mole. :)

Could you maybe write something on the society events? I think we need all the help we can get, thanks for the offer.

When the site is up we can further discuss this topic there. yea? :)

i nominate Xavier for an editorial pos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I nominate Xavier for editor. He seems like a really nice guy with a nice personality. Also, this magazine is his idea:D

The general way this goes is that someone nominates a person, then they are seconded by someone else. If there are more than the number required we have a vote base on the people and they are selected.

At the moment we have,
    Xavier - Seconded
    S4dd - Nominated

Not sure id xavier was nominating me so i'll leve myself out until its clear.

Well I did nominate you Tom. :)

I think that there should be a editorial team. Three would be perfect. But that's my opinion. :)

So when exactly do you guys want this to take place? It's getting very close to Xmass and exams are comming up... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I vote for s4dd too, he's the best. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

yeah i vote for paul, he's the real man for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I too nominate s4dd, I think we'll all agree his work in netsoc shows dedication (sp?), commitment(again with the spelling??) and ability.

oh, and i second tomtom for certain... cept i'm still not certain exactly what we're voting for

Editorial team.

In that case its me, xavier and s4dd. You know when we come accross something people have doubts about or in the event of something being a bit risque we will have to make a judgment on weather it goes in or not. Content is a general thing i think.

The site we were looking at to use fo it is props. I still have not go around to getting a copy uploaded to my own space so we can pull it apart but a link to the project is http://props.sourceforge.net/index.php

• Advertisement

Excellent, it looks good, the props software. Now all we need is a date, a meeting for all that are to be involved in the first issue. We need to allocate articles and the like. For the moment I will get some information together that won't go out of date too soon.

-EDIT-

Paul maybe we could meet in the college one of the days next week, you have my number. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

what happened the magazine?

Paul maybe we could meet in the college one of the days next week, you have my number. :)

Indeed.. and you have mine :) Care to prepare me as to what i'm in for in this so called "meeting"?

-edit-

oh, also.. after lots of headaches (more than expected tbh) the props cms first version is up.. i'm still messing with it so expect lots of changes, but have a look and we can decide where to go from here...

Click Here

(and i know it looks crap, i'm working on it!)

I know it's basic but it's good. :)

Will people be required to log in to read the mag? Or is that just for posting purposes?

Well this is the next step, glad to see this getting off the ground, thanks paul. :)

Yea I still have your number paul ;)

i suspect it would be best to have people to log in to post any kind of feedback so we can keep track of messers... but not to read articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lashes

Hey

can someone explain what this mag is all about. i didnt quite get the jist of it. thanx:confused::)

you should go to the designers for layout and graphic ideas, they'd be happy to get their names on board, also i'll be online if y'all need help in that department

Lisa, the mag will be about you. The students interests. Basically we want to have other reading material for the college students. Something that's actually interesting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

That "what the heck" article was a work of pure journalistic greatness. but i was wondering is it going to work on the basis of when an article is submitted and read over its put up straight away or will it all go up together once a week or bi-weekly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Misumi

Hi, a couple of idea re mag

Funding: Set up a society and get loads of members. The SU will have to give you your quota of funds then whether they like it or not.

Or approach a national newspaper or local paper and ask for sponsorship (and advice?)

Solve your funding problem by selling ad space. Think of the third-level market, think banks, entertainment venues, food + drink industry + how much they’d pay to advertise on a college newspaper. All newspapers have and need ads to survive, you're not going to be any different, so you should work with it.

Look at other third-level newspapers – DIT (sponsored by the Indo), UCD (sponsored by the trib), TCD etc... and see how they do it, maybe ring + ask for advice. Find out the previous winners of The Guardian’s student newspaper of the year, and look at their templates, not to copy but to know your market and generate ideas.

Content: Decide who this newspaper/mag is for and what message you want to put across. Content will then be straightforward.

Design: Look at magazines, newspapers, decide what you like, what looks good. Practically, how are you going to lay the mag out? Using Quark? Coyote? Publisher?

And finally get a good sub :)

best of luck!

Advertisement