Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ice skating

Options
  • 15-11-2005 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

whats all this about an ice skating rink in city limits? they kept that one fairly quiet... anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

is this down Nemo's Pier again this year ?? had great craic last year ... only went the once .. but was fun

or was it the one out towards the race course ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭emee

nope neither of those ya know city limits in oranmore? i saw a picture in the paper there of people ice skating in the new rink that opens thursday

ah sorry had miss read that as within the city limits ... :)

didn't know anything about that ... but sounds good if it happens ...

its opening this thursday until january 28th and its open from 12 til 12 which is great coz there'll be no kids to mow down late at night

last time I did this ... it was the kids mowing me down :)

• Advertisement

i've never tried it before so i'm sure i'd spend most of my time falling and getting fingers chopped off and what not. The amount of admissions to A+E last xmas because of the ice rink was meant to be crazy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have heard about this from my friend who works there in City Limits.

Dunno if I'll give it a try though...never done it before, might embarass myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've gone ice-skating once before, on a school-tour to Dubberlin - Phibsborough ice-rink. The boots torn ribbons from my feet and ankles. Fell on my ass alot, but twas good craic. Wear enough padding (knees, elbows, wrists, head) and you should be able to throw yourself around with more abandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Nhl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Mobile, I cordially invite you to bruise your coccyx at this new shindig.

If you do not attend, I shall kidnap your family, put them in a cage and feed them only monkey nuts until you agree to go ice-skating with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Is it anything like roller blading?
    Do you get hot when you start moving or is it constantly cold?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

galway ice skating...I think I shall go.Sounds like a good laugh...I see me hitting the ground \o/

main problems .. can be that its too crowded ... also .. you just start to make some progress and your .. hour or whatever it is ... is over ... so make sure to get in early to one of the sessions ... wear 2+ pairs of socks ... firmly strap the boots ... its usually up higher on your legs where the boots end .. that you'll have cuts so if you've got some high socks .. wear them ...

I'd recommend some thick gloves as well ... don't know if they'll actually do much for you ... as far as I know you're not allowed have sharpened skates in there ... they are pretty dull so worst your'll do is break someone's fingers ..

I fell about 3 times ... but not badly ... more ... stayed standing ... and I've not done any skating before ...

when I was there .. one of the girls in our group got concussion and another guy hit the back of his head ... / fell backwards and had some serious concussion ... pretty dangerous .. but there were no major injuries .. I think ... assuming he's still alive and everything ...

error9 wrote:
    main problems .. can be that its too crowded ... also .. you just start to make some progress and your .. hour or whatever it is ... is over ... so make sure to get in early to one of the sessions ... wear 2+ pairs of socks ... firmly strap the boots ... its usually up higher on your legs where the boots end .. that you'll have cuts so if you've got some high socks .. wear them ...

I'd recommend some thick gloves as well ... don't know if they'll actually do much for you ... as far as I know you're not allowed have sharpened skates in there ... they are pretty dull so worst your'll do is break someone's fingers ..

I fell about 3 times ... but not badly ... more ... stayed standing ... and I've not done any skating before ...

when I was there .. one of the girls in our group got concussion and another guy hit the back of his head ... / fell backwards and had some serious concussion ... pretty dangerous .. but there were no major injuries .. I think ... assuming he's still alive and everything ...

LOL id love to see their insurance policy :)
    Have you to sign a disclaimer or anything?

error9 wrote:

You is a crazy mo'fo!

JohnCleary wrote:
    Is it anything like roller blading?
    Do you get hot when you start moving or is it constantly cold?

More or less, constantly chilly!

anyone tried it yet?? i'd love to go now but i'd say it'll be busy for the first while until it becomes old news where about in city limits is it does anyone know? did they stick some ice down in vertigo to make some use of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The one in Oranmore is pathetic.

Its just a tiny cube. Not ice, its plastic crap sprayed with.....crap.

Space for about 10 people and even at that its crowded.

Bit of a joke. Don't waste your money unless you are bringing really small kids.

The one in Oranmore is pathetic.

Its just a tiny cube. Not ice, its plastic crap sprayed with.....crap.

Space for about 10 people and even at that its crowded.

Bit of a joke. Don't waste your money unless you are bringing really small kids.

Please tell me your joking?!

Awww :( definately not worth goin to? how much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

SyxPak wrote:
    I've gone ice-skating once before, on a school-tour to Dubberlin - Phibsborough ice-rink. The boots torn ribbons from my feet and ankles. Fell on my ass alot, but twas good craic. Wear enough padding (knees, elbows, wrists, head) and you should be able to throw yourself around with more abandon.

All you need is proper skates. I did it once in Austria it was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

I've skated a few times - never in Galway though. Bit of advice, never slide the skates forward - if you do your ar*e bone will need plaster. The way to skate for first-timers is to push to the side with the skates, physics will take care of the rest. You'll slide forward due to some force of momentum that I'm not going to even pretend to understand.

Pity about the crapness of the city limits skating, it can be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I called in to the one in Oranmore last night. What a sad setup. Its about the size of the downstairs of an small 3 bed room house. 10 people would fill it and even at that if you were good you wouldn't be able to go fast enough.
    I didn't go onto it but the crowd who were going onto it were disgusted.
    I don't know how much it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davetully2000

The rink in Oranmore was designed for tiny kids not adults it is a temp structure for 2months, doubt if they will let over 12yr olds on so think it suits the kids perfectly no nasty frost bite and 11 stone figure skater wannabees crashing into them. Tho for u older kids u can always break santas knees downstairs in his grotto. If things go well over christmas there are plans to put a full size permenent rink over the bowling alley.

So lets try to give people a break that are trying to bring new things to galway people on this site just love to complain but do nothin themselves.

Advertisement