Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going about getting an Irish Wolfhound

Options
  • 15-11-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Im starting to fall in love with these dogs and Id really love to get one. I know they need exercise and what not and I still have to put a bit of thought into it. But I was wondering, if I wanted to get one who should I contact?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Most of the wolfhounds I see around are bulky slow moving crippled looking things - harldy what the animal was actually like 'back in the day' :rolleyes:

There's a fella in Castle Pollard (?) near Mullingar that has the finest looking examples I've seen - much racier looking.
    Try the kennel club for his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

They have relatively short life spans too.

Why not consider a DeerhoundX - you could do a bit of lamping with it then as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If you're considering a dog that size, why not get a rescue greyhound? There are hundreds of them in pounds waiting for homes, they tend to be overlooked as viscous animals but thats far from the truth. I have two and they're the most loyal, friendly, tolerant creatures I know. www.paws.ie unfortunately have a huge selection of abandoned animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ramon

There are quite long waiting lists for the best Irish Wolfhounds and unfortunately most of the best quality are either kept by the breeders or exported to the US. Be wary of poorly bred wolfies. If you do contact a breeder be sure to meet his/her other dogs to assess their conformation and temperaments...and run a mile from anyone who tries the hard sell. Good breeders have more demand than supply and are choosey about who they sell to.

Good Luck

Ramon

Advertisement