Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay and Display WFT Brady?

Options
  • 15-11-2005 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Right so was leaving college the other day from the car park (the bigish one by the Quinn Building) when I looked up and saw:

Cars Parked here without a Valid Pay and Display Permit will be Clamped.
    Release Fee €90

50c and hour.

Wtf? Pay for parking in college? 50c may not seem that much but its the fact that I pay 4200 a year to UCD ( Blisstonia as I know call it, known for its high levels of Bliss) and parking is a disgrace anyway. Those of you who drive to college know that if you arrive after 10am chances are you wont be parking there for a good while. Can anyone explain to me what the logic is behind this? It cant be to stop people parking and then leaving to go to work because there is nowhere in the vicinity of Blisstonia that would warrent that.?

A bit angry.
    Grimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

if it was that it would make more sense to get disc's from UCD.

sounds like a money making scheme tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trippy

WTF! Thought that was only for the few spaces actually tarmacked and lined!! Parking is such a pain in the hole without this anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

it is only for those few tarmac spaces with the lines drawn in. if its for the whole carpark i'm dropping out of college!!!!!!!!!!JOKE! but in all fairness that carpark is a disgrace, i'll be surprised if my little puntos suspension puts up with those massive potholes much longer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My opinion is to make all carparks pay and display and get more people to commute in. Its not as if we're stuck for bus services (and yes i know not everyone is on a route, but a lot of people who drive are).

I think UCD should stop building carparks as they are just making it easier for people to take the car.

And in fairness 50c an hour is pretty damn cheap. And you can get a year's permit for only e50. Hardly a rip off.

Anyway just my 2c.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

now with a **** bus service that's being run down for the benefit of tin-pot tycoons like Morton's i know i'd use my car if i had one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

Ah yes- parking I could go on one of my favourite rants here.

Two of my students drive in everyday from Mount Merrion- one is actually a 5-6 minute walk away.

There are so many factors that come into play here though. More and more students commute from towns outside Dublin such as Wicklow to UCD as there is free parking-asking one student recently- cost of living=simply choose UCD as they could commute.

They the "park and riders" in the O'Reilly Hall and Engineering car parks- park and walk straight to the bus stop. Has anyone actually counted how many people do this?

What's the solution? Everyone pay the €50 levy and this elimates the "occasionallers" from parking? What about visitors to the campus- how is this managed?

p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I engaged in "Parking Wars" for about half an hour today. I too wish all parking was free but I think it's definitely going the other way. I notice that one corner of the car park beside the sports centre is now P&D. It's creeping up on us!

Does anyone know who actually gets the money from P&D in Belfield?

Meh...

It's probably used to pay brady's geisha's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

What sickens me is that a lot of people who bring their car to UCD live a walking/cycling distance from the college especiallty the D4 types. Setanta and Nigel like showing oaff the new caaor doddy bought them. Cant they not just use public transport like the rest of us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

One of my friends lives right beside The Goat and she drives (when she bothers to come in.) It's so frustrating, and when she did get the bus she used to complain all the time about the 5 minutes she had to spend on the 11.

I've just started driving in sometimes now, my mum is using my car until she gets a new one. But I have to get two buses here, one of which is the 17, aka the worst bus ever (except for maybe the 75). I'm in at 9 four days a week so parking then is no problem, but after ten and you'll be ages looking.

I reckon a permit for students and staff is a really good idea, rather than pay and display which is just mean, especially if you dont know exactly what time you'll be going home at. Other people who park here should have to pay and display though, but I dont think that many people actually park here and head into town on the bus, because the car parks dont fill up until after ten, and surely they'd all be here for about 8!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hear hear-its ridiculous the amount of people who drive to college who live 2 mins down the road.When i first arrived in ucd it was a lovely green campus but now thats all been paved over with parking lots.The tennis courts by the chaplaincy has been turned into a car park,the fields in roebuck have been turned into a car park.Its like the counting crows song...they paved paridise to put up a parking lot!and dont get me started on the damage your exhaust fumes are causing...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But I have to get two buses here, one of which is the 17, aka the worst bus ever (except for maybe the 75).
    Erm, I have to get BOTH of those in the morning... I deserve some sympathy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

panda100 wrote:
    Hear hear-its ridiculous the amount of people who drive to college who live 2 mins down the road.When i first arrived in ucd it was a lovely green campus but now thats all been paved over with parking lots.The tennis courts by the chaplaincy has been turned into a car park,the fields in roebuck have been turned into a car park.Its like the counting crows song...they paved paridise to put up a parking lot!and dont get me started on the damage your exhaust fumes are causing...

Joni Mitchell song ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That pay and display has been there for ages, that was there last year actually. Interestingly enough if you're going into glenomena from Merville there's a sign there saying that if you're moving your stuff into Glenomena you must use the Pay and Display car park - now that's riduculous.

And you know what else is annoying, UCD lecturers and members of the public using the bins in the residences so they don't have to pay as much for there waste (I lived there, i saw this on a regular basis last year, many of those disposing has UCD parking permits)

And you know what else is annoying, UCD lecturers and members of the public using the bins in the residences so they don't have to pay as much for there waste (I lived there, i saw this on a regular basis last year, many of those disposing has UCD parking permits)

Grrr!!! yea this got me mad too! Couple of times I saw people doing this I went up to them and asked them to remove their rubbish. Once I got a guy to take more home then he put in. But this will be a growing problem soon with more bin charges coming in. (Which are a good thing, RECYCLE PEOPLE!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭muffin_man

beanyb wrote:
    one of which is the 17

If the 17 bus was a person, Id make orphans of its children

Erm, I have to get BOTH of those in the morning... I deserve some sympathy!

yes indeed, i'm a regular 75 and (particularly) 17 person! hell i've probably sat beside ya on the 17 at this stage, got very attached to that bus this year!

Vainglory wrote:
    Joni Mitchell song ;)

It sampled a joni Mitchell song-you dont know what you got till its gone-but i believe it was the counting crows who came up with the lyrics and thus my quote!but on the topic-jeez this 17 bus sounds like the ride of a lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's a horrible, horrible bus. I was waiting an hour for one in terenure yesterday, two that were meant to come didnt!

I could get the 75 aswell, goes right past my estate but I get the 15 to terenure instead of going to rathfarnham village cos I couldnt cope with having to get both!

ah tis great. always the oldest, coldest, stuffiest, leakiest buses run the 17 route. fond memories of when my gf lived in rathfarnham and getting the 4.05 bus home on sunday. Always turned up on time, with the same people on board.

Different story mon-fri unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I live in Stillorgan and worked one summer in Tallaght. On the mornings my bike was out of action I used to walk into work because it was quicker than getting the 75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah yes, I know the 17 well also, was commuting from Crumlin for a while at the start of last year before I got a house on campus (i'm from cork, don't lynch me as being a dub on campus). Used have to get the one that came at 7.30 to be on campus for nine, after about 3 days of it I couldn't take it any longer and started going into town and then out - it actually saved me about 20 minutes doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Stop dissing the 17 yous lot. It's a fantastic bus, I used to get it to school if it was raining. The 35p it cost was well worth the mile and a half journey up the road.
    Always wanting things better, you folk, why not just accept what you get and live with it. At least we have buses in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I live in Crumlin at the moment, I recommend a getting a bike, a good lock and some cold/wet gear.

Cycling - 25 mins

No. 17 - 55 mins

Car - 35 mins plus problems parking after 9am plus massive queues to get out via clonskeagh.

Cycling also soothes my nagging conscience about lack of exercise :)

On a side note, the explosion in car ownership in the 18 - 25 years bracket is mostly to blame for the parking problems, it was uncommon for (average)students to own cars pre-boom. Although, I've noticed that people here tend to car pool, you often see full cars on campus unlike in most of Dublin where there is apparently a one person per car rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Ah now here, who's the smart arse who thinks we should all forget about our cars and bus it out to belfield... If I chose public transport (shudder) over my car, it'd mean getting a bus to town and then another to belfield,whereas the car cuts an hour, maybe longer off my journey. I didn't work my arse off all year to get the fecking bus. I've used the posh tarmacked pay and display carpark in very desperate times, i mean if you're in for a twelve o clock lecture ur kinda screwed. Its grand now and again but when ur paying tax, insurance and petrol every week, 50c an hour isn't what i'd call "nothing". My theory-no car, no opinion. Don't pretend it's the environment or anything else you're thinking of telling us to bus it, jealousy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

panda100 wrote:
    It sampled a joni Mitchell song-you dont know what you got till its gone-but i believe it was the counting crows who came up with the lyrics and thus my quote!but on the topic-jeez this 17 bus sounds like the ride of a lifetime?

Twas a fecking joni mitchell song lyrics and all

lads come on, so what if those driver dudes only live in donnybrook or whatever sure its not going to get yous to college any quicker no matter where they live - lets not begrudge those bastards!

Same thing with the bin charges, i mean ive thrown the odd banana skin into those bins at merv and i dont even live there this year!

Thats also because Im dangerous!!.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

"My theory-no car, no opinion."

I have a car but I choose to cycle for reasons mentioned above... I'd be behind more parking controls on the campus but for the lack of alternative ways to get in. The bus services just aren't adequate *cough* seventeen *cough* and the buses are suffering from the traffic congestion and take an age to get in. Bike is the best option at the moment if you live within reasonable distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

panda100 wrote:
    Its like the counting crows song...they paved paridise to put up a parking lot!.

You're showing your age, love, it is most definitely a Joni Mitchell song - words and lyrics!!!

I hate parking in UCD and I hate driving also. However, if I drive it takes 1 and half hour to get in. If I take bus it takes longer than this and I have to go by the timetable. At least I can go when I want to when I have my car.

However, every morning it is the same - the feeling of dread as you approach the car parks.

Did anyone pay the yearly charge? Where do you buy the disc? Does it entitle you to park in the pay and display carparks for free?

you can get the permit from services in the admin building. It allows you to park in the P&D for free. Permit is not required for the free carparks.

• Advertisement

Twas a fecking joni mitchell song lyrics and all

lads come on, so what if those driver dudes only live in donnybrook or whatever sure its not going to get yous to college any quicker no matter where they live - lets not begrudge those bastards!

Same thing with the bin charges, i mean ive thrown the odd banana skin into those bins at merv and i dont even live there this year!

Thats also because Im dangerous!!.
    :eek:
    Cool you learn something new every day and at least that gives me some joni mitchell material for the table quiz on monday!Never was too hot with me music lyrics!Dont you think ucd should build one massive 6 storey car park instead of just paving over loads of green spaces for just 50cars or so.It would make so much more sense to buil upwards to fit all these cars in!

Advertisement