Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay and Display WFT Brady?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

panda100 wrote:
    Dont you think ucd should build one massive 6 storey car park instead of ...

Yep def. but i'd build it underground rather have an eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

lads come on, so what if those driver dudes only live in donnybrook or whatever sure its not going to get yous to college any quicker no matter where they live - lets not begrudge those bastards!

Same thing with the bin charges, i mean ive thrown the odd banana skin into those bins at merv and i dont even live there this year!

Why? Why the hell should I pay for bloody well paid lecturers and members of the public to bin there waste? why should the money that students pay for fees, registration and god knows what else go towards funding there lifestyle? Why should students who actually drive into college rather than move into dublin not be able to park on the campus they attend because some person on an invariably nice salary wants free parking?

I'm in college for 10 months this year - I do unpaid clinical placement for two days each week, six weeks after the end of my summer exams and I had to come back to college two weeks earlier than everyone else for placement too, I do meaningful, quantifible work, yet, during my four years at college I won't even get so much as a bus pass from UCD despite the fact I have to get four buses to and from Beaumont Hospital every day I'm on placement. I refuse to give people who aren't even students in the college breaks when I'm sure as hell not getting them. I don't see why they should be given freebies when it's costing me an extra 1,800e to be in college this year that's on top of my normal college costs for the normal college year.

If students don't get any breaks, why the hell should anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Griffith just got a lovely Underground with plenty of extra spaces and that dosnt have any beautiful open spaces to destroy and its not as big and funded as Blistonia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

my parents got clamped the day my sister graduated despite having the permit up in the windscreen, my mother went nuts and wrote a letter to the college and 2 weeks later got a refund from the clamper dudes!:eek:

fair play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Why? Why the hell should I pay for bloody well paid lecturers and members of the public to bin there waste? why should the money that students pay for fees, registration and god knows what else go towards funding there lifestyle? Why should students who actually drive into college rather than move into dublin not be able to park on the campus they attend because some person on an invariably nice salary wants free parking?

You're not paying for them to bin their waste (unless you're standing there writing cheques every time they empty the boot at Merv). That money you pay for res is for your own mess regardless of volume collected outside by the binmen.

You're not paying for your lecturer's lifestyles. Those are administration fees and your (ideally grateful) contribution toward getting a bloody good education. Lecturer's salaries would be the same if you attended UCD or not.

It's not an invariably nice salary either, a lot of secondary school teachers teachers earn more money than your lecturers. I know an intern intern who has just began to lecture us and is currently living in what can only be described as a slum-like bedsit in Ranelagh

I really hate the self pity prevalent on student campuses, we should be able to better expend our enthusiasm and youth on things other than moaning about how badly off we are. Everybody, and I mean every student, in UCD is priveliged.

I mean look at this for a moan...
    I'm in college for 10 months this year - I do unpaid clinical placement for two days each week, six weeks after the end of my summer exams and I had to come back to college two weeks earlier than everyone else for placement too, I do meaningful, quantifible work, yet, during my four years at college I won't even get so much as a bus pass from UCD despite the fact I have to get four buses to and from Beaumont Hospital every day I'm on placement

No offence but you knew what you were getting into when you singed up for it, you claim its good qualifiable work, and that this hardship is only for your college years... so what's the problem?
    We should think of ourselves not as fragile little dolls but malleable pieces of metal grateful for the education we are lucky to get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭john^doyle

He's right you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Glennifer

Parking - Father dear's a lecturer....so I use his permitty thing *ahem* but other wise I'd be screwed if I was paying to wreck the MX5 over the Sh*tty potholes trying to park!

*Disclaimer* I drive in from Wicklow - I'm not a D4 twat with a sports car!!

No.17 - often get it if I can't be bothered to drive in as a parental works at OLHSC, mornings it's not too bad but what the hell is with the 3.00 one, I swear to god it doesn't exist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

No offence but you knew what you were getting into when you singed up for it, you claim its good qualifiable work, and that this hardship is only for your college years... so what's the problem?
    We should think of ourselves not as fragile little dolls but malleable pieces of metal grateful for the education we are lucky to get

What is my problem? this is my problem: UCD was founded around the idea of equality so that Catholics could receive a third level education, so why does this ethos not continue? Why am I inferior to nursing and physiotheraphy students or indeed any other student? Why are some students disadvantaged because of the career they choose? You may think it petty but I see it as a case of inequality. By unfairly disadvantaging students in this way some students are put off doing certain courses - I actually know people who didn't do courses because they couldn't afford the cost of summer placements and missing out on the weeks working during the summer. Is that right??

Last year students were told they couldn't stay on campus for 3 extra days when they were finishing placement yet exam students were. The reason given: we apparently knew about it before we ever started. We didn't know about it when we started the course - we hadn't been told about summer placement in first year. Is it really fair that students on clinical placements are penalised in such a way when clinical placement is just as important for them as exams? Attendance at clinical is mandatory as is attendance at exams in order to pass, what's the difference?

FYI: I don't live on campus this year; I did last year and loved it and believe me having regularly seen the people same people dumping rubbish two drove new BMWs and one person with a current UCD parking permit had a very large jaguar. THAT'S why I have a problem with it - they were well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Personally, I'd be happier if they made *all* the car parks pay and display. Any student or staff member would get a permit for EUR50/year and not have to worry about finding a space. Visitors would pay say 50c/hour or EUR3/day and Park&Ride commuters would be put off using the car parks. No more need to pave over field after field. Everyone's happy.

Face it, in the context of the costs of driving a car for a year, EUR50 is nothing and the time saved by not spending 10-30 mins a day looking for a space must be worth something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

jlang wrote:

Face it, in the context of the costs of driving a car for a year, EUR50 is nothing and the time saved by not spending 10-30 mins a day looking for a space must be worth something.
    Not when you have to pay €4200 a year for the facilites and then another €50 for the facilites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

After 10 years of walking to UCD I finally got a car, my sacrifice is walking in on a Friday so I can go drinking. Must say it's great driving in insulated from the cold and rain :p . Coming in at 7.30 also means I get all the spaces I need :D. Now if only I could make that 6-8 minute drive shorter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Grimes wrote:
    Not when you have to pay €4200 a year for the facilites and then another €50 for the facilites
    If you failed (I'm assuming thats the reason) thats your own fault tbh

Sangre wrote:
    If you failed (I'm assuming thats the reason) thats your own fault tbh

OUCH! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Allow me to inject two small facts into this surreal 'debate':

1) The administration fees paid by students do not come close to covering the cost of providing their education. All UCD students are effectively subsidised by taxpayers who, on average, have less earning potential than a UCD graduate.

2) The value of a UCD degree in terms of future earning power is many many multiples of the fees charged and would be even if full fees were brought back.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Allow me to inject two small facts into this surreal 'debate':

1) The administration fees paid by students do not come close to covering the cost of providing their education. All UCD students are effectively subsidised by taxpayers who, on average, have less earning potential than a UCD graduate.

2) The value of a UCD degree in terms of future earning power is many many multiples of the fees charged and would be even if full fees were brought back.

That is absolutely correct but you've omitted to mention that the heightened earning power of the alumni will mean their paying proportionately more in tax contributions to fund the UCD students that follow them. UCD contributes more high-earning nicely taxable graduates to that band of people we call "the taxpayer" than any other university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

That is absolutely correct but you've omitted to mention that the heightened earning power of the alumni will mean their paying proportionately more in tax contributions to fund the UCD students that follow them. UCD contributes more high-earning nicely taxable graduates to that band of people we call "the taxpayer" than any other university

That is all true, but it would be wrong to cast it as some kind of heroic sacrifice on their part. Further, it is by no means certain that they add enough to the coffers of the state (over what they would otherwise pay in taxes) to cover the cost of running the institution that allowed them to live so comfortably.

And the fact is that UCD students are subsidised by taxpayers who are and always will be poorer than they are on average. Which is why it is ludicrous for any UCD student to complain that, somehow (magically), their fees are subsidising someone else's rubbish removal or parking or anything else. They don't even come close to covering the costs of running the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its very simple, too many people drive to UCD, there arent enough carpark spaces, builing more isnt a solution as its a terrible use of the land. The solution. Pay and display. Half the people in my class live within 10mins of UCD and drive. That being said, 50c isnt going to stop them :)

Ernie Ball wrote:
    And the fact is that UCD students are subsidised by taxpayers who are and always will be poorer than they are on average. Which is why it is ludicrous for any UCD student to complain that, somehow (magically), their fees are subsidising someone else's rubbish removal or parking or anything else. They don't even come close to covering the costs of running the place.

I agree with you on the point that UCD students have no right of complaint on such silly issues as illegal dumping in the bins, bus journeys and car parking. 3rd levell education is certainly a privelige. And I mean that in the context that we are being funded by people who because of their economic circumstances may not even be able to afford to send their kids to university.

However, that doesnt mean we shouldnt have free 3rd level education paid for by the taxpayer, of course we should. It only shows up the lack of structural support for the increased participation of those from badly off socio-economic backgrounds.

Fianna Fail's alleged social justice policies have a much heavier effect on these individual families than their families contributions for the running of the NUI and Dublin University.

Advertisement