Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very nice HTML editor

Options
  • 15-11-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

This is most likely old news to alot of you, but I came across this really good (and free), clean HTML editor called HTMLGate. It makes life alot easier than using notepad for those of us who don't like using the "regular" html editors.

Here's a link:
    http://www.mpsoftware.dk/htmlgate.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I like this one better:

NVU
    http://www.nvu.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

And I prefer HTMLpad, but it is paid for.
    The ability to log straight into an ftp server, edit html, and save it straight back up makes it very sweet and saves a lot of mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i prefer TEXTPAD myself. Unlimited trial period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Anyone using Notepad for serious work is an idiot. Notepad can do feck all.

I use Emacs. It can do just about everything, and is completly free. This quote from 'In the beginning was the command line' sums it up:
    I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor. It was created by Richard Stallman; enough said. It is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is beautiful. It is colossal, and yet it only edits straight ASCII text files, which is to say, no fonts, no boldface, no underlining. In other words, the engineer-hours that, in the case of Microsoft Word, were devoted to features like mail merge, and the ability to embed feature-length motion pictures in corporate memoranda, were, in the case of emacs, focused with maniacal intensity on the deceptively simple-seeming problem of editing text. If you are a professional writer--i.e., if someone else is getting paid to worry about how your words are formatted and printed--emacs outshines all other editing software in approximately the same way that the noonday sun does the stars. It is not just bigger and brighter; it simply makes everything else vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Syth wrote:
    Anyone using Notepad for serious work is an idiot. Notepad can do feck all.

I use Emacs. It can do just about everything, and is completly free. This quote from 'In the beginning was the command line' sums it up:

Well - yeah, but I don't step *that* far above notepad. I use Syn (which is basicly notepad with syntacticial highlighting) for pure HTML, or PHPeclipse if I'm dealing with output from scripts.

The fact is, when you're creating dynamic sites, you need to get involved with your code, and to do that you need to be using a text editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Best laid out editor I've ever come across... very fast/clean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Context, easy and small. XHTML, CSS and Javascript etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

vim/gvim anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

HomunQlus wrote:
    I like this one better:

NVU
    http://www.nvu.com/
    This thing keeps crashing on me.
    I use Text pad or HTML-kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

cyberbob wrote:
    vim/gvim anyone?

Am I the only person who finds vim's controls to be a complete pain in the ass?

I use nano where possible in Linux, because vim annoys me...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I'm a vim whore. Once you learn some of the niceties it's really cool.

Not used emacs - Not had the time to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I used Vim for a while. PhantomBeaker introduced me to it about a year or two ago. I started using Emacs in the last few months. In my opinion it's 'cleaner'. It's easier to extend and write extensions. I recommend people invest a bit of time in it.

Advertisement