Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UML Modelling tools

Options
  • 15-11-2005 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Can anyone offer advice on which UML modelling tools are any good and not too expensive?

I've been using PoseidonUML (Community edition) in an attempt to show the bossman the benefits of modelling new work before committing any code to disk.

He has come around to my point of view, and is willing to buy some licences for a full modelling tool. Great, But...

Poseidon Community Edition while good, struggles on my system with any amount of Classes in a class diagram (e.g. 15 classes in nested packages, 10 methods per class on average). Slow to draw and hogs CPU cycles. The computer is pretty chunky (2 Ghz Xeon with 1 Gb RAM), and other tools (like Netbeans and Visual C++) run fine, so I'm pretty sure it is a Poseidon thing.

I'm concerned that putting big models (hundred of classes) in will be a real problem, and am wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative tool.

Rational Rose would be great, but it's expensive per developer ($2495 per year) and the bossman doesn't want to pay that much.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I found ArgoUML to be a bit faster. But I'd usually opt for SmartDraw or Visio - and do my own code. I found Rational Rose to be a memory/CPU hog.

Have a look through:
    http://www.objectsbydesign.com/tools/umltools_byPlatform.html
    There's a demo app. for the vast majority of the commercial ones and a rough price guideline.

Advertisement