Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jump leads for a diesel?

Options
  • 15-11-2005 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

'ello folks,

I'm gonna get jump leads for the car. Its a 1.9D Vectra. Will standard jump leads do?

I see Dunnes sometimes have them in a pack. Only think i would watch out for would be length, longer the better - so anything anyone has to add then please shoot....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

AFAIK standard jump leads will do.

However, you won't be able to jump start your engine from anything alse but a diesel car. Or at least a battery strong enough to start a diesel. I think batteries in v6 cars work as well. Just not a v4 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Recently, I went with a mate* to find some jump leads at the motor factors on Morehampton Road recently and they were looking €30 for them! (Same place sells magic tree air-fresheners for a whopping €2.50)

*I would never need jump leads myself, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

AFAIK standard jump leads will do.

However, you won't be able to jump start your engine from anything alse but a diesel car. Or at least a battery strong enough to start a diesel. I think batteries in v6 cars work as well. Just not a v4 petrol.

No. It makes no huge difference so long as both vehicles have 12v system (i.e. dont use a truck...). Of course you might have problems trying to jump start a 6cly Diesel engine from a lawnmower etc, but a similar (and smaller) sized car will have a battery big enough to do the job.

Spend a bit of money and get a decent set of leads. I suspect the dunnes ones are not that. By decent I mean a good thick cable that can handle the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When buying the jump leads check the packaging. It'll say what size engine they are rated for and also if they will take diesel. Diesel engines draw a higher current the petrol engines of a comparable cc. So buy the highest rating you think you will need, cause if you use too low a rating then they will melt.
    Also when jumping a dead battery, always leave the cars connected for a few minutes before attempting to start the dead car so that there is some charge in the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually, You cannot start a 2 ltr diesel battery from a 2 ltr petrol battery. Diesel batteries have more "umph."

I learned the hard way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

You should be able to start any engine any size from a micra.... provided the battery on the diesel or whatever is not actually failed or damaged, is capable of being charged and both are running on 12V systems.

The way you do it is, connect the running Micra to the stopped vehicle and let it charge the battery of the stopped vehicle first, might be useful to up the rpm a little to speed up the process. Takes about 10-15 minutes. Then with the vehicles still connected and the Micra running, start the other vehicle. Most of the umph you need is then coming directly from the battery of the stopped vehicle, not the running vehicle.
    Longer cables need to be larger in diameter to prevent large voltage drops and overheating.
    Biggest problem area I have found on cheap ones is the connection between the wire and the clamp itself.
    Make sure the individual wires are very fine, Weldercable is one of the finest and best for the job. If the individual wires are large in diameter, they crack with flexing and are very stiff overall.
    Go by the diameter of the wire, not the diameter of the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Right, bizzarely enough i went home last night and the battery was dead again! (i didn't know the battery was flat when i posted the thread yesterday).

The car had been sitting for a few days (maybe Friday/Sat - Tuesday)
    and when i tried to turn her over it was very slow and getting slower and eventually would not start.

Connected up (with neighbours jump leads) to mum's Astra 1.4 petrol and left it for about 60seconds with astra running and the diesel fired straight away when i turned the key.

The vectra has been slow to start for a while and been getting slower and i think its the battery.

The car is 5 years old now and on the original battery. I've tried to have a look at removing and replacing the battery myself but i couldn't figure out how to do it. It seems to be secured in place and i can't see the bolt/bolts to remove to get it out.

Anyone every changed out a battery on a vectra? Also where to get a battery & a good price would be appreciated.

Advertisement