Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scholars - update

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I was also somewhere at the time of the meeting, can't say where though. But even if I had been able to go I'm not sure how much good it would have done. It's nearly impossible to get anything through to the USLU, which probably explains why so few people turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Rozie wrote:
    It's nearly impossible to get anything through to the USLU
    Have you ever tried? What did you do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Not to pick on you personally keevita, as you did have a genuine excuse, but even if this was brought up at the AGM, who was there to be told anyway? there wasn't even enoughs students to have it deemed quorate (i.e. enough to ratify items on the agenda)...and it was publicised (posters around campus, etc.) that the main item on the agenda was the future of the Scholars. only about 70-80 people turned up (quorum is 200!!). nothing could be ratified, including the new ULSU Constitution.
    The entire apathy amongst students is a farce, tbh. People moan and complain that the SU isn't doing anything, that they're not informed of things, that 'something should be done'....but then when asked to do anything or show up at a meeting that would make a difference - "EH!??!!?? ME????!?!?!??"
    ........rant over, i swear!

Hows abouts they hold the AGM in the stables at 10:30, there'd be easily 200 people there. Just cut the (Awful, too loud) music, and have someone stand up and say 'This is the SU AGM' talk about some stuff, and have a vote.

Done and done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the SU turned down my application for a DuneBuggie Club :(

had a solid one picked out and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Thing bout the SU is... like everything else in life you gotta know someone!! Its politics - what else do ya expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Please bare in mind when ye are trying to calculate how much money the stables is making that it's only making that money during the college semester and operating 5 or 6 nights/days a week(I'm presuming it's still closed on Sundays and the odd saturday night).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Cork Exile wrote:
    Please bare in mind when ye are trying to calculate how much money the stables is making that it's only making that money during the college semester and operating 5 or 6 nights/days a week(I'm presuming it's still closed on Sundays and the odd saturday night).

If its closed, the only overhead I can think of is rent. Theres no staff to pay, no drinks to order in etc

It makes enough on the nights its open to turn a profit surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

Also the fact that the SU Send everyone into town to the Trinity Rooms for the weekly nights will reduce revenue for the Stables..

On the other note. THe problem with student politics is, its the politicians that get elected.

Peteee wrote:
    If its closed, the only overhead I can think of is rent. Theres no staff to pay, no drinks to order in etc

It makes enough on the nights its open to turn a profit surely?

Rent, ESB, security, its still money being spent when money isn't coming in those days.
    If you've ever been around UL during the summer, you will have noticed the pubs are practically dead every day apart from the odd corporate do that they get in. Its very difficult to imagine the pubs breaking even most days.
    Also the profit that is made is split. If I remember correctly its something like 50% goes to PCC, 25% to SU and 25% to Castleoaks Catering.(Not sure if these are the exact percentages, but they should be in the rough area)

Think bout it also, from week 10 roughly on, how many people are studying for exams, how many stop or at least cut back on going to the pub because of exams. So thats another 3 weeks in each semester that sees a reduction in the number of people going out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yes it does see a reduction at those times but come on, for the rest of the yr its jammed from one end of the day to the other, I dont know of any bar that does anywhere near the level of business it does.

As for the summer isnt UL full of courses,post grads, etc, surely the food alone would allow them to keep ticking over until September.

Any update on the re fit of the Scholars?? When is it reopening in its new form??

ah come one you're joking now. Look at Flannery's on Camden street in Dublin. It has a full 7 night trade. Go in there on a Monday, go there on a saturday, It's always busy. The money that's being made in that place would blow the stables takings out of the water.

Good point about the courses and postgrads etc. being around during the summer. They do provide a steady business into the pub. But at the end of the day it's still hell of a lot less busier then during the year. No pub could survive on that level of business if it was year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

shepthedog wrote:
    Any update on the re fit of the Scholars?? When is it reopening in its new form??

front page, An Focal, tomorrow.

Advertisement