Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gettibng rid of musty smell in car

Options
  • 15-11-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

bought a VW golf a week ago, 02, very clean etc. But there is a definate strong damp sort of smell inside it. Hung an air freshener and left sunroof open for a few hours but its still there. I cant place where its coming from in particular, just seems to be a general all round smell. Any tips how to get rid of it?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

L5 wrote:
    bought a VW golf a week ago, 02, very clean etc. But there is a definate strong damp sort of smell inside it. Hung an air freshener and left sunroof open for a few hours but its still there. I cant place where its coming from in particular, just seems to be a general all round smell. Any tips how to get rid of it?
    thanks

Could be in the upholstery, which leaving the sunroof open etc won't do much for. Get some upholstery cleaner and give the seats (and carpets and / or floor mats) a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Maybe get a valet on it.
    These guys are good and also have mobile units that come to you http://www.callawash.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye saw them Callawash guys blasting some car in the car park today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Lift the mats in the car and check to see if the carpets are dry, especially in the passenger and driver footwells. There could be water getting in somewhere (poss. through floor or door seals) and accumulating below the carpet. Likewise take out the boot lining to see if there's any damp there. Any water lying about will make the carpets stink and leave a musty smell.

Alternatively, you can locate any damp regions by sprinkling the car with watercress seeds and leaving for a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Don't mean to be alarmist but I have heard of at least two Golf's with leaks. one was 01 and the other was 02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

when i read the thread title i knew it was a golf before i even read the thread. all golfs mkivs smell musty because the rear washer motor shaft snaps on them. water leaks into the boot destroying the boot light switch so when u open the tail the bulb doesnt light. also the rubber hose that supplys the rear washer detaches a little off the coupler behind the rear trim on the rising part at the back slowly wetting the left hand side and creating a water mark on the left whiteish trim that u will see when u look in the rear view mirror.
    when u operate the rear wash/wipe the water probably moves side to side?if so u need a new motor at a cost of 150 euros. otherwise u need to take all the trim off and have the coupler area repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

u want an odour neutalizer rather than just a scent or airing out the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Does this one have Air Con?. Air cons are well known for developing musty smells, which take more than a smelly tree hanging from the mirror to counteract.

Otherwise, check you do not have water coming in from the fresh air plenum, and check the crains from the same are are draining and not bunged up with leaves, etc, so collecting rain, which then may enter the car behind the dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

lomb wrote:
    when i read the thread title i knew it was a golf before i even read the thread. all golfs mkivs smell musty because the rear washer motor shaft snaps on them. water leaks into the boot destroying the boot light switch so when u open the tail the bulb doesnt light. also the rubber hose that supplys the rear washer detaches a little off the coupler behind the rear trim on the rising part at the back slowly wetting the left hand side and creating a water mark on the left whiteish trim that u will see when u look in the rear view mirror.
    when u operate the rear wash/wipe the water probably moves side to side?if so u need a new motor at a cost of 150 euros. otherwise u need to take all the trim off and have the coupler area repaired.

If its not the rear washer, it happens quite a bit by the way.

Give it a good clean and burn a stick of intense in it. A bit hippy like be good to get rid of smells, swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If its the aircon, remove the pollen filter, turn on the aircon full blast, lowest temperature, all vents open. Squirt in some Dettol Antibacterial spray (clear trigger bottle, blue top, I think - NO bleach). Leave to run for a while, replace the pollen filter and Bob's your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Dilbert75 wrote:
    If its the aircon, remove the pollen filter, turn on the aircon full blast, lowest temperature, all vents open. Squirt in some Dettol Antibacterial spray (clear trigger bottle, blue top, I think - NO bleach). Leave to run for a while, replace the pollen filter and Bob's your uncle.

And also make sure the condensation drain is free flowing, look for a water puddle under the car. If not, the above will work for a while, then return again.
    If the drains are clear then the above is the best, simplest & cheapest cure. Again assuming it is the AC is the problem.

Advertisement