Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

daRobot wrote:
    I'd compare male and female due to the fact their appearance is based on height/weight/body fat ratios..

but men and women have different fat ratios....
    how can you possibly compare two different things?
    daRobot wrote:
    .Just as easy as it would be for you to assess that a man who is 16stone and 5ft 4 is most likely overweight, I can assess that a woman at 5ft 6 and 11 stone is most likely slightly overweight..

those are two pretty different comparisons!

i know a number of women who are of that height and weight without a pick on them.

i think you are far too fond of your own generalisations. perhaps you best step back and re-evaluate?
    daRobot wrote:
    But to be certain, you'd need a calipers to measure body fat, so i'm working with the info I have (words on a screen).Therefore, i'm estimating....

no, youre assuming.
    it makes an ass out of you and me. well, not so much me.
    daRobot wrote:
    Regards myself, dragan, has it right.I'm not muscular in the bodybulider sense, but are you really trying to tell me that a supermiddleweight boxer like chris eubank (who would be in my weight category), isn't muscular?

but you described yourself as muscular. so which is it now? i mean, if you cant even describe your own stature, id have to think twice about your comments on other people...
    daRobot wrote:
    Size 10-12, no, that's not my ideal size (mine would be 8-10), but I think you'll find that most women would be happy at that size.

ahh, you know what the majority of women think now???

excellent, you should bottle that and sell it! have you any idea how much most men would pay for that sort of info?
    i suspect a few women could do with it as well!
    daRobot wrote:
    What has the gym got to do with being a woman?Nothing. But as a person to *be aestethically pleasing and healthy* are good qualities no? The gym is an easy way of achieving both.

no, in your opinion, thats they way it should be, but dont make the mistake of thinking just beuase you believe it then everyone should.
    perhaps you need to lean to incorperate words like 'in my opinion', 'i think' and 'as far as im concerned'....
    daRobot wrote:
    Downwards comparison? I'm a psychology student

says it all really. people who have done psych101 always think they know everything...
    daRobot wrote:
    Finally, I don't see how I personally am preaching some sort unobtainable perfect image, I'm simply saying that you should make the most of yourself- and if that means going to the gym to improve your figure,that can only be a good thing.

who says that going to the gym has anything to do with anything. well, you do.
    perhaps again you should revisit your language.

afaik the average is a 14, im slightly under that, correct me if im wrong but arent 47% of british women a size 16 or over? (british women dont have thatd different of a liestyle to irish in my opinion)

actually, a few years ago marks and spencer got a lot of flak because they stated that the average dress size in the south of england was 10 and the average dress side up north was 12, and they ordered clothes accordingly.

the girls up north kicked up a stink becuase they felt that M&S were being fatist.

however, you cant beat demographics.

so i would say that no, the average dress size in the UK is not 16. perhaps you are thinking of fat land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

^^ aw my mistake evidently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

daRobot...
    I'm a fairly muscular 6 foot one bloke and i'm 12 stone, go figure.
    Quite frankly that sounds like you're scrawny if your are as muscular as you say. So while you think you may look
    sh1t hot
    i think it sounds downright unattractive. Not very nice that is it? so why say it about the OP?

now, i don't know you, i'm only going on 'words on a page' so how can you make all these assesments about the OP in the same way?

and who, exactly, says that size 10-12 is the ideal size for a girl her height? bless your cotton socks but you seem to have some major image issues.

Each to their own, while you may not find a curvaceous woman attractive, many, many men do (there's countless polls on this topic here). She is certainly not overweight, and remarks like yours are pretty much as bad as the ones she referred to in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

See what i mean about sweeping generalisations? they don't help at all ;)

from www.ivenus.com, i cant upload it. so yes we are getting fatter, nut why isnt there the same fuss made bout men, when in reality they're getting worse too?

she's got issues

heavy stuff
    a new survey reveals that the sedentary irish lifestyle can have serious medical repercussions

Traditionally, the issue of weight and weight loss has been regarded as very much a female concern, one that women associate with ‘not letting themselves go’ and ‘keeping their youthful figure’. Men, on the other hand, have never tended to suffer from the same incessant demand from society that they maintain a youthful, fat-free body for fear they'll be left ‘on the shelf’.

That said, despite the endless desire to be thin, the reality is that the average dress size in this country is a size 14 and we're all getting fatter. However, our male counterparts have now officially taken over as those who are piling on the pounds with the most speed.

Startling statistics now reveal that while over 30% of Irish men and women are now suffering from eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, and compulsive overeating), one in every five Irish men is now obese.

The fact is that a staggering 20% plus of men living in Ireland are currently classified as obese, This is an increase of 8% on the figures given 10 years ago according to the results of a major new survey by the Food Safety Promotion Board (FSPB)

so yes we are getting fatter, nut why isnt there the same fuss made bout men, when in reality they're getting worse too?

coz that's the way of the world... women get older they look haggard. men get older they look distinguished. men put on a few lbs, they're just enjoying life. women do it, they'r letting themselves go.

that's a whole new can of worms opened and spilled all over the place.

well, to be honest, im classed as overweight on the generic bmi calculator, but i certainly wouldnt call myself fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

About 4 months ago I weighed 11 stone (and had done for well over a year)... curse you J1 in America!! Put on well over a stone but the funny thing is people thought it was because I hit the gym. (Had a thread in fitness on it)
    Its slowly coming off though thanks to diet and exercise. Its quite easy.

Exactly, most of these reports are taken from GP records ( random and anonymous though I may be very wrong ) and even is done by survey it will say height, weight but never ask for Body Fat Percentage.

So, if I say I am am 6 foot 3 and 250 pounds ( 18 stone ) on this little sheet i go into the survey as being overweight.

Look at the interest in sports, especially rugby, gym going and all the rest of it for me and women. Muscle weighs more than fat plain and simple. "Overweight" does not mean fat. man i hate the word overweight, who the hell has the right to say what weight i should be??? tee hee hee

• Advertisement

this is the problem, i wouldnt class myself as *fat*, as someone said im on the brink of being overweight (or am overwight) accordin to BMI.

well, to be honest, im classed as overweight on the generic bmi calculator, but i certainly wouldnt call myself fat.
    Well now you have to post a pic for us to judge harshly.

Dragan wrote:

So, if I say I am am 6 foot 3 and 250 pounds ( 18 stone ) on this little sheet i go into the survey as being overweight.

Probably because the vast, vast majority of people will not be that weight because of muscle

no, im just very well built :)

Sangre wrote:
    Its slowly coming off though thanks to diet and exercise. Its quite easy.
    grrr... not easy for everyone :p

Sangre wrote:
    Probably because the vast, vast majority of people will not be that weight because of muscle

I know, but the point i was getting at is the it would not take into account body composition at all!

So even if I only way 14 stone at 6 foot tall, i have the potential to carry quite a bit of body fat, but this may not be shown on the study either you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Sangre wrote:
    This needs to be addressed whether someone's feelings are being hurt are not. Its not bad now but at her age it could be only the start of long-term weight gain.

I agree. There is no doubt that your flatmate is a bitch, she brought up the subject in the first place really by saying that she can eat chocolate. But if you are asking us if you are overweight we can only tell you possibly yes.

The bmi is not very acurate as muscle weighs more than fat, but you could be possibly be borderline overweight, and at that the bmi is more generous to women than to men.

But at the same time, that doesn't mean that you have to lose weight, as long as you look healthy and feel good about yourself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

^^ aw my mistake evidently
    you are not wrong. the clothing line, 1647, was based on the FACT that 47% of uk women are a size 16+

i knew id heard it somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think a lot of guys don't understand that some girls will bring up topics like that to put others down so they can make themselves feel superior. In general your roommate sounds like a knob, don't mind her, it's possibly because you're confident and get on so well with guys that she's jealous. Stay confident and charismatic, it's a better way to be! If you want to lose a bit of weight then by all means do, but do it because you want to, not because other people think you should

I had the joy of living with 6 ladies during my first year in college. Man, was that ever and eduction in the ways of the woman!!!!

I would well believe the comment was made just to make the other girl feel a little better about herself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Dragan wrote:
    I had the joy of living with 6 ladies during my first year in college. Man, was that ever and eduction in the ways of the woman!!!!

I would well believe the comment was made just to make the other girl feel a little better about herself!
    Well believe that, lived with 8 of them in sceond year. They could be so bitchy and two-faced.

i lived with 5 guys in my 3rd year in college.
    they were ok.

never lived with guys :eek:

It was rough, but I learned a huge ammount of real important stuff from those girls.

I swear to God, all blokes should be given a girl as a minder to teach them the important stuff. It's only ever helped me out!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've lived with both.
    Guys are easier to live with.
    But a balance is required, we've it perfect now. 4 guys and one girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Im a little late, and haven't read all seven pages of posts yet so apologies if I've missed something. I don't know the person you speak of, but at first i thought maybe it was a faux pas on her part, something she may not have meant maliciously?
    Although that comment she made sounded kinda like a set-up to get a reaction from you, perhaps a jealous quality she has?
    As I'm sure everyone else has said, you shouldn't go by what she says. Most people have friends that are not really helpful alot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I have not had time to read through all of the comments, but OP as long as you are happy with your body yourself then it doesn't matter what other people say, but words can hurt! I put on over a stone since I started college (in 1999), I ma y no longer have my 6 pack but I am more than happy!

As for living with girls vs guys, I think a mixture of both is best! At the moment where I live it is 2 girls and 3 guys! All girls definitely gets very very bitchy over small things!For example on holidays over the summer a group of us stayed in 2 apartments, 4 girls in 1 and 1 girl and 3 guys in the other! In the apartment with all girls there would be at least on arguement over something silly every day, the guys not one single arguement! Even when 1 of the guys tried to wax my legs while I was sleeping ;)

BTW nice pics silly sausage! ;)

BTW nice pics silly sausage! ;)
    Why thank you :o
    Me is blushing ever so slightly :)

In all fairness, you look like you do, you quote Anchorman....it's all just going in your favour really!!! :)

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    In all fairness, you look like you do, you quote Anchorman....it's all just going in your favour really!!! :)
    Ha ha ha, I like where this is going, lavish me with attention (positive attention) feed my ego, ha ha, give me a fat head. I wonder what my heads BMI will be after these posts? lol:D

Ha ha ha, I like where this is going, lavish me with attention (positive attention) feed my ego, ha ha, give me a fat head. I wonder what my heads BMI will be after these posts? lol:D

That could a problem, you need to keep the proportions right ;) I suppose we could slag you if you want to keep it balanced :p

Teeheehee. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Eh, ok guys get an irc room ffs.

That could a problem, you need to keep the proportions right ;) I suppose we could slag you if you want to keep it balanced :p
    Please dont!! :eek:

Hate to show my ignorance but don't know what irc or ffs means.

Do you speaka de inglish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

irc is some internet chat thingie as far as i know,
    ffs = for fu(k sake.

I could be very wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

For **** sake is ffs but dunno what irc is

Here if you want to find out about irc http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html

Thanks very much folks, I'll stick to the English though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dragan wrote:
    Hate to show my ignorance but don't know what irc or ffs means.

Do you speaka de inglish?
    My apologies, I should have used English..

Take your conversation to an internet relay chat channell please, for f*cks sake. This isn't a chat board. If you don't know what an internet relay chat board is then go here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

says it all really. people who have done psych101 always think they know everything...

You really are pedantic, and while you might enjoy your little internet ego boosts by deconstructing posts for funs sake, it's all pretty futile.

I stand by what I said in the previous post, and really don't feel like rewording what I said in a way that's easier for you to understand.

first off, you're housemate was bang out of order.

are you fat? well, at 5"6 and 11 stone, you're overweight.

that said, it could be muscle, but i'm asuming you don't bodybuild?

i was 5"11, 12.5 stone and was technicaly overweight, even though my bodyfat was 10%. i'm 12 stone now, and would say my bodyfat's around 15%.

size 12 - 14, i'd consider this chubby rather than fat.

at 19, you're metabolism's quite fast, this'll slow down as you head into your 20's.

so i'd consider a healthy diet and regular exercise if you don't wanna be fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

paperclip wrote:
    first off, you're housemate was bang out of order.

are you fat? well, at 5"6 and 11 stone, you're overweight.

that said, it could be muscle, but i'm asuming you don't bodybuild?

i was 5"11, 12.5 stone and was technicaly overweight, even though my bodyfat was 10%. i'm 12 stone now, and would say my bodyfat's around 15%.

size 12 - 14, i'd consider this chubby rather than fat.

at 19, you're metabolism's quite fast, this'll slow down as you head into your 20's.

so i'd consider a healthy diet and regular exercise if you don't wanna be fat.

I agree, get a handle on your eating and exercise before you hit your 20's cos you'll only pile on the pounds from here unless you get proactive. I'm the same height and weigh about 2 stone less at 5 years older and I'm not quite a skinny minny but I think that in the current culture of letting yourself go vs eating disorder people are loosing site of good old fashioned self discipline. Most girls in this country could do with loosing weight and it's wrong, they're a mess. They need to exercise and eat less and look after themselves the way French women do for example. I spent a bit of time in the south of France recently and the girls were in far superior shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

where is this BMI thing.I think i'm underweight. 5'6." n 8 stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

where is this BMI thing.I think i'm underweight. 5'6." n 8 stone

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

You would need to know your weight in either pounds or kilos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Your housemate is being a right tool!!

First off, you ain't fat. The average dress size for Irish and UK women is a 14.

Who says you can't eat chocolate?!!! If you want it, then you go ahead and eat it! Don't mind her. She's the one with the nasty smoking habit. You're causing no harm to yourself by indulging in some chocolate when you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i enjoy my chocolate as much as the next girl, but i do think there's too much banging on about 'real women' here.
    i'm a real woman, that doesn't stop me eating healthily and going to the gym to keep fit.
    there's a proper balance to be found, no one needs to go starving themselves to look like some skinny kid with no tits or ass.
    it all depends on your body shape. i'm the same height as you OP, but two stone lighter. i know if i gained that much weight it'd look terrible, but you only need to check out sillysausages picture to see that people carry weight differently, she looks great!
    tbh, screw weight/height blah blah ratios. the mirror is you're best guide really (unless you have one of those crazy mirrrors which distorts everything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I agree with Seraphina. I enjoy my chocolate as well, but I eat healthy, and try and go to the gym (although I've slacked up a bit in the last fortnight). That said, I don't eat loads and loads of chocolate. I'm 5'10" and weigh just over 9 stone. I like my weight to stay that way, so I don't eat too much junk.

But if you just enjoy stuff in moderation, you'll be fine. And if you're happy with the way you look, then to hell with everyone else! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do think that the OP may be a tiny bit overweight, but not dangerously so. My main concern would be the risk of type 2 diabeties etc. but you would need to gain a lot more weight for that to happen. I am only 5ft 2 and I have been an equivalent weight to the OP at one stage for a few months, but did not have any problems with my appearance so I imagine that the OP looks fine as well. Sillysausage looks amazing :) Now I am only 7st 7lb and am trying to gain weight (borderline underweight)...you never win...

In the end of the day your flatmate was very unfair with their comments, chocolate is one of the major food groups in my book, they are probably just jelous because you look so well.

Advertisement