Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat??

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Okay this has probably been brought up a million times, but a comment made has been playing on my mind since last night.

My housemate and i were just talking, and she said oh im lucky i can eat chocolate cos im so slim, then she said oh you're having choclate, and looked me up and down. i said do u think im fat, and she said, well you are yes.

Given a comment you've made elsewhere about living in France at the moment- would it be a reasonable guess that your flatmate is French and was comparing you to a French "ideal"? Hopefully I'm not putting two and two together and getting six? :) From your weight and description- I would not call you fat by any means. You may not be thin- but I wouldn't be worried one iota. Vis-a-vis the comments about joining a gym etc- being fit is a different matter from being a particular weight. I'm friends with a girl who is a size 16- who did the Dublin marathon in a little over 4 hours- she is fitter than almost anyone I know, yet far from being slight of frame, yet another girl who I know who is worryingly underweight is hard-pressed to lift herself in and out of the bath......

I think the comment your housemate made was blunt and uncalled for. We all eat chocolate or other things that aren't the best on occasion. All-in-all providing you don't subsist on chocolate (or indeed anything else) in moderation its fine (unless you have specific medical reasons for avoiding it). At the end of the day being happy and healthy is far more important than complying with ticking off stats on someone elses sheet of what is expected as a norm.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

daRobot wrote:
    >sillysausage
    Indeed, you do look well in those pics, especially the first one.
    She has a lovely figure :)
    daRobot wrote:
    Reminds me of an ex who I spit up with, who was about 5ft 2 and a size 12 when we split up.I met her a few months later and she had obviously got he sh1t together and done a good few gym sessions.
    She was then about a size 8-10, and what had been a cute ass before was now feckin amazing, and due to weight loss her boobs looked way better with a smaller waist/flatter stomach.I regretted splitting up big time, and she knew it.
    From your posts, you sound very shallow.
    I think its pretty pathetic to regret finishing with someone because they look skinnier since the last time you saw them.
    daRobot wrote:
    It sounds crude to put it in such terms, but what i'm saying is that even if you look great, you can look that bit greater with a small bit of effort.
    :rolleyes: If she already looks great why would she need to look any greater?

OP, the comment from your flat mate was out of order, but maybe she was just havin a bad day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

in response to the comment bout dianetes, i got blood tested durin the summer for thyroid problems, diabetes, and cant member what else..but everythin came back normal.

yea she's french, i have noticed that the majority of girls in my class are quite slim,. only one or two exceptions.. i had gotten used to that anyway,

so really i should aim to get to say, 10 stone over the next while and report back to you guys!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

in response to the comment bout dianetes, i got blood tested durin the summer for thyroid problems, diabetes, and cant member what else..but everythin came back normal.

yea she's french, i have noticed that the majority of girls in my class are quite slim,. only one or two exceptions.. i had gotten used to that anyway,

so really i should aim to get to say, 10 stone over the next while and report back to you guys!!
    Sorry for mentioning it - I just worry about people who are very overweight, though you are just slightly so and have nothing to worry about. I am a type I diabetic (non-weight related) but I tend to go on a crusade for anyone who is very overweight (but again you are not in that category)). The thyroid can make you gain weight also if it is underactive but I am delighted that you got that tested. Sorry, just being protective.

If you are trying to loose weight do it slowly, because you want to and try and find a healthy eating plan that you can stick to for life. My personal favorite is the Low Glycemic Index diet (yes, you can eat chocolate) - just get some exercise as well so that you build up your muscle tone.

Best wishes,
    AC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I would say you have nothing to worry about except your housemate.

• Advertisement

no its no problem mentionin it, friends have expressed concern that i could be at risk of developpin diabetes due to eating a fair amount of chocolate..

yea im not gonna do anything drastic, ive had this figure (give or take a size or so!) for a good few years, its not in any ruch to go!! ill try do something like that diet, it'll be tough tho :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

once your happy and healthy who gives a ****.

heres a little thing to remember if you and your flat mate get marooned on a desert island with no food....you will survive longer than she as you have more body fat than her.
    feck her shes a sill skinny vain bag of bones
    us size 12/14 girls are the newest fashion and even come with free love handels!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Madge wrote:
    She has a lovely figure :)

From your posts, you sound very shallow.
    I think its pretty pathetic to regret finishing with someone because they look skinnier since the last time you saw them.

:rolleyes: If she already looks great why would she need to look any greater?

OP, the comment from your flat mate was out of order, but maybe she was just havin a bad day?

Why is pathetic?Are you denying that people can be attracted to each solely other based on their looks? As when I saw my ex looking so well, I didn't look at the person inside,i just saw her looks.Is it wrong just to want someone just for their looks?

If she looks great, she can still look greater, you can always improve.But it might require.........effort....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

yes i get chatted up, i generally 'score' (hate that word!) my friends tell me im really confident round guys (i am, more so than them, i can chat to the wall!) they tell me they are sometimes jealous cos i get chatted up first..

there you go, your friends might be slightly thinner but the lads are more interested in you. the friend who said the 'you are fat' thing to you sounds like a right dumbass, and a lot of lads don't like stupid airhead girls. so be happy in the knowledge that you're not an arsewipe like her

• As everyone else has said, she's just a jealous, insecure cow. That was a really mean thing to do. Just ignore it, she is obviously the one with the problems. I don't know how you hack living with that kind of girl though. I'm living with 3 girls who are obsessed with their weight and always moaning that they're fat, this one in particular, and when we go out she looks me up and down like your flatmate, as if to say, you look crap, because I'm skinnier than her. I'm moving out next week, can't deal with the mind games anymore. Your home is meant to be a place to feel secure, not threatened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Those kind of people are the most boring, pathetic creatures. Pitiful really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

your flatmate sounds jealous to me. Just ignore and stand proud like you have done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ah, she's French? That changes the situation completely. French people are far blunter than Irish people. You'll get used to it (I did an Erasmus year there too)!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

simu wrote:
    Ah, she's French? That changes the situation completely. French people are far blunter than Irish people. You'll get used to it (I did an Erasmus year there too)!

I agree 100% with what Simu says.
    Far from being vindictive or nasty as everyone else is suggesting- she probably feels that she was being friendly and helpful. Its a cultural thing that just doesn't translate for Irish/UK people- where we flatter each other with our comments, they are blunt to the point of what we would consider rudeness- but to them its totally normal. To be blunt and extremely direct in some circumstances is accepted as nothing unusual to them (its the same in a lot of countries- even more so in Mediterranean ones). Its even considered friendly and shows that she accepts you- and doesn't have to act as though she is with her grandmother with you.

I had an idea this was what was happening which is why I mentioned the fact that you're in France- and to be quite honest was extremely surprised that you had not mentioned it as a factor earlier in this thread.

What she said was not meant in to be malicious or hurtful in any manner whatsoever- if anything she probably considered it as a friendly chat. Accept it as such and don't ponder on it unduly.

The biggest thing to do while you're there is to have fun! Erasmus really is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It was Germany for me- seems so long ago......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

daRobot wrote:
    You really are pedantic,.

i can be, if thats a problem for you, then thats your problem
    daRobot wrote:
    and while you might enjoy your little internet ego boosts by deconstructing posts for funs sake, it's all pretty futile..

what you actually mean is that ive deconstructed your posts and you have no comeback, so you are just going to insult me becuase that way you dont have to actually acknowledge that im right.

as for ego boosts, well, to be honest, you do nothing for my ego.
    daRobot wrote:
    I stand by what I said in the previous post, and really don't feel like rewording what I said in a way that's easier for you to understand.

thats fine. im not asking you to change your position, i am debating it though. i have no idea why you would need to say something in an easier way. i already understand what you are saying. what makes you think i dont understand, the fact that i dont agree with you?

thats pretty presumptious of you dont you think. a bit arrogant. although, no more than i would expect after your other posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

According to the VHI website you are in the upper band of the ideal weight ofr your height, but then again they are saying I am overweight....I am 5'10 and 12st 10lb.

From my experience a happy girl is a girl eating chocolate.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

According to the VHI website you are in the upper band of the ideal weight ofr your height, but then again they are saying I am overweight....I am 5'10 and 12st 10lb.

From my experience a happy girl is a girl eating chocolate.....

yea i really do wanna enjoy this year abroad, its the only chance ill get!! em..yea think she did mean it in a helpful way, i guess growin up in ireland, u get sheltered most of the time from what we consider 'bitchy' comments, which in fact are jsut 'musings' or honest responses.
    in reply to not sayin i was from france, sorry, cos ive mentioned the fact in a number of threads, ill change my location now, and mention it in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

i can be, if thats a problem for you, then thats your problem

what you actually mean is that ive deconstructed your posts and you have no comeback, so you are just going to insult me becuase that way you dont have to actually acknowledge that im right.

as for ego boosts, well, to be honest, you do nothing for my ego.

thats fine. im not asking you to change your position, i am debating it though. i have no idea why you would need to say something in an easier way. i already understand what you are saying. what makes you think i dont understand, the fact that i dont agree with you?

thats pretty presumptious of you dont you think. a bit arrogant. although, no more than i would expect after your other posts.

I'm not trying to insult you in the slightest,but think about this:

You seem to post giving little or no advice to the OP but are happy to attack someones posts (which I would deem helpful). This seems to me like you have your own agenda,which isn't in the best interests of the OP.

daRobot wrote:
    I'm not trying to insult you in the slightest,but think about this:

You seem to post giving little or no advice to the OP but are happy to attack someones posts (which I would deem helpful). This seems to me like you have your own agenda,which isn't in the best interests of the OP.

im sorry you feel threatened by me questioning your opinions...

i dont think your posts are helpful to the OP either. what should we do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know what you can do about it: Stop posting.

Back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

daRobot, WhiteWashMan
    I have a suggestion how about you both stop your off topic
    comments about each other and take it to the thunderdome.

Remember off topic posting and personal attacking post will get you banned.
    Do read the charter,
    have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

thanks for the helpful suggestion. i'll try and remember the rules in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<snip>
    What is that link? is it pics of boards users? i have never seen/heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Your over-weight to me. If you dont want to be referred to as over-weight/fat then loose some.

Your housemate sounds like a bitch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

Ignore your house mate.
    She's obviously very shallow and superficial, alot of people who make spiteful comments like that are insecure about their own appearanace. Don't allow her to take her frustrations out on you.

All that matters in this life is that you are healthy and happy with who you are.
    Please don't get caught up in the culture of thin=success/happiness; take it from me, it couldn't be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

lifes too short to worry about your weight.i thought i was overweight but went to the doctors got weighed etc told be i was a healthy weight.Once you healthy and happy with yourself thats all that matters.i'd say she was just being nasty to make herself feel better about herself.Shes proberly not happy with her personnal appearance.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maudie

cant believe that, that is just downright bitchy and jealous. Lose her

Advertisement