Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversions & architects fees...

Options
  • 15-11-2005 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am considering an attic extension, I have a 3 bedroom bungalow, the developer left the roof space open so no truss problems to deal with.

From speaking with others in the development, I should be able to have it converted without having RSJ's.

So not being from a building background, I thought I would come on here to get some advice, it looks like I will be able to have about 3 rooms in the attic space.

Where do I start?

1. Get architect to prepare plans (architect has quoted €3,500 to draw up a set of plans and submit to local authority, this seems a bit steep.. any comments??)

2. Submit plans to local authority

3. If approved - ask local builders to quote.

Perhaps a few basic questions here, but any input appreciated.
    If any one has converted an attic , please give an indication (ballpark figure) of how much plans and submission would cost.

thanks
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Depending on a few things like dormers instead of Velux roof lights and the total area involved you may not need full planning permission especially if the developer has used the right trusses.

I have no problem with the Architect it is very often money well spent to have the work signed off as being in compliance with the building regulations especially if you ever decide to sell.

Maybe talk to the local planning office and ask if you need P.P. as others have converted in the area shouldn't take any longer than 8 > 10 weeks on a straight forward application if you do need permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

GOC wrote:
    (architect has quoted €3,500 to draw up a set of plans and submit to local authority, this seems a bit steep.. any comments??)
    too dear, find someone else. as rooferpete says its money well spent but thats lunacy for the work involved. u most probably dont need planning at all, and even if u do, because u are putting veluxs out the front side of the house, id say basic plans showing external roof position is all that will be needed. talk to the planners yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think the average rate for renovations and extensions is around 10 > 15% of the contract value, that includes the plans, amendments if needed, submitting the plans, supervising the works on a stage basis and signing off on the final finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Got an Architect recently out to house to have a look to do plans for an extension and an attic conversion,his fees he said would be €1200 plus putting it in local paper and whatever else so around €1500 all in all.

He came when I wasnt here so I didnt get to speak to him,he couldnt gain access to attic because for some strange reason hadnt a step ladder(which I thought unprofessional).So he asked wife to ask me to get measurement from top of roof to joist and the pitch angle of roof.

Now I might try someone else too as a mate got his plans done for €1000 and that was his architect putting in his plans for him...

I might get an engineer to be safe as wether to get RSJ's or strengthen joist.They are 2inches X 4inches and a carpenter friend of mine said all they might need it to be strengthened with a 2x4 over them like a T screwed&glued.But my joists are resting on breeze block walls upstairs and they are laid on the floor boards with a strip of damp proof coarsing believe it or not.Oh the joys of extensions and renovations.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GOC

Thanks everybody for some common sense advice.

The ballpark figures you put forward regarding fees have certainly enabled me to put things in perspective.

I asked the architects who originally designed and developed the house to quote, they can't find their original plans despite the house being built in 1998).

One of their architects came out and took a look at the house and then quoted as follows:

1. House survey, fotographs, measurements, drawings on AutoCad.
    €1,000
    2. Preparing plans for attic extension and documentation for application for planning permission.
    €2,500

For point 1, I suggested they contact the local authority planning office where they would have submitted their original plans and thus avoid the €1,000 expense to me. Do architects have an obligation to keep plans on file?

For point 2, you will note that they would be drawing up plans and submitting the application and not managing the project.

Anyway thanks for the information, I think I will speak to some other architects for a price comparison. This was my first dealing with these architects and I think now it may be my last.

thanks
    G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, it's good to shop around, but it isn't good to nickel-and-dime. I would take many things into account when picking an architect, but I wouldn't pick one on price.

If I were you, I'd be less concerned about the cost of what is effectively one trade (the architect) and be more concerned about the cost of the overall project.

If saving or making money is important to you on this project, you also need to consider what impact the work will have on the value of your house.

Remember, the architect is supposed to be the guy who helps you sort out the big picture.

If you just want a draftsman to put together some drawings for the LA, then get an architectural technician or draftsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GOC

Antoin,
    thanks for the input.

Following the comments/feedback I have received here, I have checked with a neighbour who had a similar job carried out by another architect from the same practice, he was charged a fee of €1,000 for a very similar job.

I don't mind paying the right money for the job but I cannot justify paying over 200% more than my neighbour. Perhaps the jobs are not identical but my neighbour lives 2 doors away and his project was also a similar sized attic conversion. Just for information this project is mid-west based.

I agree the architect is supposed to show me the bigger picture but I am not convinced this will be the case here. From all the feedback I am receiving , I believe it is in my best interest to get another quote for comparison. At least then I will be in an informed position.

I am not considering this conversion for financial gain, but yes whether I pay €1,000 or €3,500 for plans, I agree they will be a small part of the overall spend and possibly a smaller percentage of the increase in value of the property.

Again thanks to all who have provided some input.

cheers
    Greg

Advertisement