Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who has owned an Alfa

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Yes and I wouldn't touch another
    where were the pics taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

and would you buy one again?

Ok im not the owner but my boyfriend bought one a few years ago had it for a few months lost alot of money on it when he sold it again then went on to buy a Lexus IS200 sell that & now we have a Clio, but he dreams that one day he could have his red one back, it's the only car that he has ever said that was a fantastic drive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

prospect wrote:
    B@stard (;) )

If this is the dark, charcoal/graphite grey then it has to be your cohice.

Once again, you are a baxtard...... (not seething with jealousy here)

I want one too :(

That's the Lipari grey...almost impossible to get over here sadly, my current 156 is a similar colour, but if I want one before March, it has to be the Stromboli grey (which is bluey grey) the moon blue which is a real deep blue or the red which is sorta maroon red...all metallic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Colour and alloys should be chosen together.

I have seen one GT in a classic red with wide, flat spokes, about 8 or 10 of them. It looked stunning. But it was immaculate at the time, so this probably made it look that bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

fantastic choice Andip - I had the pleasure, going back about 2 months ago now.
    It was also the 1.9 JTD MJet with full leather, full sportivo spec and the 18" alloys option.

these may well be the ones prospect is referring to (about 10 spokes) :cool:

I hope you got a good deal with your dealership ! congrats on your fine choice and purchase :)

• Advertisement

I eventually got a good deal !!...the main Cork dealer wouldn't budge from book price, in fact wouldn't even throw in any extras & I want lots of extras !!

Phoned round the dealers and eventually got one for Jan delivery at €4,500 off of the price quoted by the Cork dealer...thats almost 10% saving on a phone call, just goes to show the margin these guys make on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

No
    Enjoy your car, I'll wave if i see it around town. :)

Looked at an Alfa 147 before in a certain dealership in Glanmire (hadn't the price of it anyway), but the Salesman suffered from some kind defect where he made stuff up if he didnt know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Andip wrote:
    Phoned round the dealers and eventually got one for Jan delivery at €4,500 off of the price quoted by the Cork dealer...thats almost 10% saving on a phone call, just goes to show the margin these guys make on them.

Well done! Probably the easiest money you'll ever make in your life :)

I'm surprised you got that much off through a phone call, you must have sounded like business alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

where were the pics taken?

...........Kirkistown !

Had it up there 4 times with some other serious machinery. The Alfa held its own and was repeatedly within 3 sec/lap of the Imprezzas and Evos !

Ahhh the truth is the boyz couldn't drive for nuts !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

maidhc wrote:
    Enjoy your car, I'll wave if i see it around town. :)

Looked at an Alfa 147 before in a certain dealership in Glanmire (hadn't the price of it anyway), but the Salesman suffered from some kind defect where he made stuff up if he didnt know the answer.
    I hate that. Never found it with that "certain delaer" though - we bought all 5 Alfas from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Awww... i loved my Alfa 147. I was gutted when the folks decided to buy a Scenic... A SCENIC for christ sake!!!! The 147 was only a 1.6 but with the twin spark it felt like a flyer. Lovely car and id buy one again in a heart beat, if only i had the money

I hate that. Never found it with that "certain delaer" though - we bought all 5 Alfas from them.

You're very lucky.....I've dealt with them twice on warranty issues and will never EVER touch them with a bargepole again - my car was off the road for two weeks last time it went in for a simple airflow meter problem that had been pre-diagnosed....having still not fixed the problem, they tried to charge the warranty company for two weeks worth of work !!. I took the car into Lee Garages & they fixed it within 4 hours.........

Andip wrote:
    You're very lucky.....I've dealt with them twice on warranty issues and will never EVER touch them with a bargepole again - my car was off the road for two weeks last time it went in for a simple airflow meter problem that had been pre-diagnosed....having still not fixed the problem, they tried to charge the warranty company for two weeks worth of work !!. I took the car into Lee Garages & they fixed it within 4 hours.........

This kinda stuff seems to happen regular.
    We were having awful hassle with a certain dealer and I posted about it here. Ciarsd meanwhile mentioned how happy he was with his dealer, and it turns out it was the same place!??!

I don't understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

No
    My Dad bought an Alfa 166 last year.
    Absoloutely beutiful car to drive, such a nice drive and it looked the biz but he had nothing but trouble with it from day one...If it wasnt for the sh*tty work done of making the car Id buy one myself

GaRtH_V wrote:
    My Dad bought an Alfa 166 last year.
    Absoloutely beutiful car to drive, such a nice drive and it looked the biz but he had nothing but trouble with it from day one...If it wasnt for the sh*tty work done of making the car Id buy one myself
    @Mods: Is there a way to modify the poll results/options?

We have 2 votes for "yes, but never again" from maidhc and GaRtH_V who have not owned one.
    There is 1 vote for "yes, and I would again" from prospect who also has not owned one.
    This is wrecking my neat little "for every unhappy Alfa owner there's 4 happy ones" stat.

Failing that, how does one close a poll?

Sincerely, G.W. Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

bmoferrall wrote:
    Manhandle an Alfa, neglect it and it's a canter away from the nacker's yard.
    I've had several Alfas - the most unusual was one of only two Alfa 90's to ever reach Ireland. I did nothing but drive the nuts off them and fix them when they broke. I will continue to look out for a 1983 GTV and until then I will be driving my ultra-reliable 1996 155 2.0 Tspark (256,000miles and going strong).

'c

Slight overreaction there DS20 dude,

Although i did not pay for the car, I lived with my dad, and worked with him. Therefore we travelled to work together, 20miles each way. I drove 'most' of the time.
    So personally i put up approx 250miles a week from February 2002 until October 2003 (when i moved out). So that is about 20,000 miles. I think this does put me in a fairly strong position to cast good judgement. :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

With regards the poll, seems some people have genuinely owned Alfas and some people have 'owned' them by proxy.

Saw this on pistonheads and couldn't help but post...

dummiestrolling2hl.gif

prospect wrote:
    Slight overreaction there DS20 dude,
    Ah no! It was a poor attempt at humour, Prospect, even though I didn't use smilies. You're opinion is as valid as the next person's, but in the interest of fairness I wanted to keep it to those who had actually owned an Alfa. It would be unfair to complain about maidhc and GaRtH_V voting incorrectly but not complain about you, no?

I suppose if I was to do this poll again, I'd phrase it
    "Who has owned an Alfa or used one daily" and include options
    "Yes & I would buy one again"
    "Yes & I'd never touch another"
    "No, but I'd consider one"
    "No, and I never will"

If I do that now everyone will lose the will to live, if they haven't already.

I find the result of this moderately interesting. I would have thought that around 40% of people had problems with Alfas, given the amount of whining that goes on about them. 18% i (27 vs 6) is better than I had hoped, but if I were CEO of Alfa Ireland, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Ah no! It was a poor attempt at humour, Prospect, even though I didn't use smilies. You're opinion is as valid as the next person's, but in the interest of fairness I wanted to keep it to those who had actually owned an Alfa. It would be unfair to complain about maidhc and GaRtH_V voting incorrectly but not complain about you, no?

I suppose if I was to do this poll again, I'd phrase it
    "Who has owned an Alfa or used one daily" and include options
    "Yes & I would buy one again"
    "Yes & I'd never touch another"
    "No, but I'd consider one"
    "No, and I never will"

If I do that now everyone will lose the will to live, if they haven't already.

I find the result of this moderately interesting. I would have thought that around 40% of people had problems with Alfas, given the amount of whining that goes on about them. 18% i (27 vs 6) is better than I had hoped, but if I were CEO of Alfa Ireland, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Sounds Fair. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement