Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

O2 number for spam not working?

• 15-11-2005 7:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've recieved two spam SMS messages telling me i've won free credit from Opera Telecom Ltd according to the comreg site. I'm on bill play and I don't sign up for sh1te like ringtones or pictures, how did these goons get my number? The number mentioned for O2 in the spam sticky doen't work. Is there another number? :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

#Elites wrote:
    its possbile that your friends signed you up?

I seriously doubt it. The company would have had to recieve the message from my phone to sign me up no? It just looks like thet've sent a txt to me out of the blue. They probably never get challenged and get away with charging €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I've got serious issues myself with regards to Opera Telecom

They are charging me 2euros every now and again.

O2 says it s not their problem because RegTel authorizes OT to do their business, RegTel says I should contact Opera Telecom, and Opera Telecom NEVER answers emails and NEVER answers the phone.

There is no way to get out of it.

I am thinking of buying a new SIM card but ... who tells me that O2 is not gonna pass my new details on to Opera Telecom.

If anyone found a way to get out of this sh** please share it :)

I doubt what they do is legal. They send messages without signing (you dont know it's them unless you contact O2) and no option tosign off.
    It can't possibly be legal.

Opera Telecom, have already been sued 75000£ for such practise.
    http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/adjudications/default.asp?node=&id=160

I quote :
    "The service appeared to take advantage of complainants by not advising them that, by completing the online form, they would receive multiple chargeable messages. Complainants also reported that they found it very difficult to unsubscribe from the service."

"The service appeared to take advantage of complainants by not advising them that, by completing the online form, they would receive multiple chargeable messages. Complainants also reported that they found it very difficult to unsubscribe from the service."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Contact www.regtel.ie they should be able to assist you. Tell them that you have had no joy. You can also make a formal complaint to regtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you get a new number, when you register it you can check the option for them not to give your number to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring O2 customer service. Explain your problem. They'll tell you they need to see the texts on your phone - they don't. They'll tell you they can't unsubscribe you - They can.

Keep ringing back til you get a helpful agent who's willing to sort you out - trust me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advise lads. Here is RegTel's answer (O2 indeed claims they have nothing to do with it and that they can't help):

Thank you for your email.

I feel that I need to clarify our position for you. Your original email, as seen below, sent to this office was concerning a service sent by Opera Telecom, a separate company.

My response explained to you that we do not send texts nor do we issue refunds. In that context I suggested that you contact Opera as we do not get involved with refunds – it’s outside our remit.

To contact Opera Telecom’s helpline you need to call during business hours. However, as you have tried to get through and have not got a live operator,

I will contact them on your behalf and have your number removed permanently from their database.

I have also contacted the company with regard to your refund and they are willing to refund you. If you wish to receive your refund, please email your consent so that I can pass on your details to the head of the complaints department and they can contact you direct. You entered two services, Quiz Club and a Ringtone service during the last year.

With regard to the o2 statement that they must open up to traffic from third parties, this is correct. Under ComReg licensing regulations, they must allow third party traffic for which they are paid a proportional fee of the Premium Rate charge.

Every service is authorised, provided it is in compliance with Irish legislation and that it meets the requirements of the Code of Practice. In this case, the data protection legislation is clear that once a consumer has actively subscribed to a service, it is legal to have you on a Service Provider database.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely

here is the email I wrote back to RegTel I still have no answer to my question (is it legal) :

Dear xxx,

I would like to thank you for your email and the actions you took.
    It is obvious you took the time to answer my query instead of sending me an unrelevant formatted answer, it is appreciated believe me.

In fact I will not ask for a refund because I do not trust this company, I have seen what they can do with a phone number, I don't need to know what they can do if they hold my bank account details.

I may have entered the service. I do not understand why the Code of Practise does not force companies such as Opera Telecom to add an option that explicitly tells you how much you are being charged and how to unsubscribe. In fact I do not believe this is legal.

You said "Every service is authorised, provided it is in compliance with Irish legislation and that it meets the requirements of the Code of Practice. In this case, the data protection legislation is clear that once a consumer has actively subscribed to a service, it is legal to have you on a Service Provider database. "
    I have found that Opera Telecom has already been sued and that many users have had a similar issue:
    http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/adjudications/default.asp?node=&id=160

It is now admitted that this is a dodgy company (I do not know the politically correct word).

I guess my question to you is: Is it in compliance with the code of practise and/or in the Irish legislation to omit to explicitly mentioning the cost and the fact that you are being charged + not offering an easy option to unsubscribe?

I understand that O2 must open its network. I do not understand why they do not offer an anti-spam facility. I am dealing with them also and they didn't give my satisfaction. I am not surprised that they're not willing to help me if they make money out of it as well.

I work hard (like many people) to pay my mortgage and live descently in this country. I will keep these emails for my records and if Opera Telecom was to send me anything in the Future I may take actions.

Thanks again for your relevant answer.

Kind Regards,

Advertisement