Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much??

Options
  • 15-11-2005 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

i know this has been asked before and by myself as well but theres no search feature which is annoyin anyway

whats easiest to get a licence on 22/250, .223rem or .220swift

and what should i expect to pay for a decent second hand one in good nick with a good scope

how much would you expect a cz .22wmr in vgood condition with a hawke reflex 3-9x40 mildot scope to go for

also what are ammo prices like for the above

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sniper220

Hi.
    The .220swift would be the easy one to get a licence for because the cops still think its a .22 its also more powerfull than ether the 22/250 of the .223 the only big drawback to the seift is €40 for per box of 20:eek:

You could prob expect to pay between €1500-2500 for a good second hand rifle and scope. I payed €1750 for a Remington 700vssf and €1450 for a Schmidt & Bender 3x12x42 that was new back a year ago!

For your own CZ.22wmr you could expect to get around €1500-1700 on a trade in:)
    The .223 would prob suit you better as the ammo is way cheaper than the swift @ under €30 per box of 20 50g psp's But it does take a while to get a licence for the .223:(

Hope this info is of use to you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Erm... not looking to rain on anyone's parade here, but unless your CZ is a very special/rare/fancy one, it's probably worth more in the region of €300-€600.
    Maybe.
    I haven't seen the gun of course, so this is just 'ballpark' speculation.

Bear in mind too, that the souped up .22 calibres (.22WMR, .22 Hornet) are somewhat less desirable now that they were a few years ago, now that more variety is available (.17HMR, .204 Ruger, .223 Rem, etc).

That said, you'll pick up good second-hand fullbore centerfires for €500-€1000.
    A bit of shopping around will get you a nice rifle and scope for under a grand.
    After that, it's a case of how much money you want to spend.

As Sniper220 says, the Swift would be the easier one to licence (probably just a paper exercise on your exiting licence), but the ammunition costs will cripple you. The .223 Rem is probably the best option, provided your Super doesn't have an attack of the vapours when you apply for it. Some will outright refuse it (eeeeeevil military round), while some will merely amend an exiting .22 licence. Most are somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Erm... not looking to rain on anyone's parade here, but unless your CZ is a very special/rare/fancy one, it's probably worth more in the region of €300-€600.

TBH, I'd be putting it on the lower end of that range, maybe a bit below depending on condition and supply/demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    TBH, I'd be putting it on the lower end of that range, maybe a bit below depending on condition and supply/demand.
    Also TBH, so would I, but wanted to break the news gently :)

The supply/demand thing seems to be hitting Hornets and WMRs pretty hard, what with the improved availability of 'better' calibres (depending on what you want to do, of course) these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sniper220

Emm Perhaps if you tried to sell it privately you may be able to get a little more for it.. but be sure all the change over paperwork is done properly because if not you could get into big trouble!

ether that or leave in into a firearms dealer for say 6 weeks and set a price on it and see what happens at least that way you will not have to worry about the paperwork..

I would think also if your going to go for .223 or .220swift if you go for a good make eg.. winchester,Remington,Savage.ect do put a good scope on it its a gun you prob will hold on to for a long time:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    QUOTE=Sniper220]Hi.
    The .220swift would be the easy one to get a licence for because the cops still think its a .22 its also more powerfull than ether the 22/250 of the .223 the only big drawback to the seift is €40 for per box of 20:eek:

I reckon that will start to come down as well,once reloading starts to kick in here. 2Euros a round! Sheesh!!Should be able to get that down to 1euro with reloading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv seen .223 at €9.50 for 20 and sombody else told me they had seen it at about €6 for 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah well i was expecting 350 for the cz possibly 400 if i do a trade in deal with the guy

problem is money so ammo prices would be a big thing thats what i like about the .22 i have found a ruger .223rem for €950 new at a local dealer but would prefer to buy a second hand gun for less and get a fairly decent scope this is for hunting and plinking(maybe not with the ammo prices) ill take a look around if anybody is in there local dealers would they check to see if any are there and what price around the 500-600 mark and doesnt anybody know where cheap .220 swift ammo can be bought

id love to get a 22/250 because i know someone who might be sellin it would i get away with stickin .22 down on the licence or is that a bit dodgy and what are amo prices like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

would i get away with stickin .22 down on the licence

Not a prayer..!:eek:
    or is that a bit dodgy

Very Dodgy, it could result in.....

A:.. Losing any existing firearms you have.
    B:...Never,ever, getting another firearms licence
    C:.. Possibly going to jail on firearms offences.

D: ..All of the above !

Don't even think about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Rew wrote:
    Iv seen .223 at €9.50 for 20 and sombody else told me they had seen it at about €6 for 20

Seen 1000 milspec 5.56 going for 80 US still packed in its stripper clips.just for comparision.

• Advertisement

well if bought from a dealer and i get the little slip of paper off him and he has it down as 22 on its thats me covered its up to the dealer to make sure its right isnt it

would it be dificult to licence a 22/250 if i wanted to join a club where is the nearest to kilkenny and how much is that and what benifits do i get with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

well if bought from a dealer and i get the little slip of paper off him and he has it down as 22 on its thats me covered its up to the dealer to make sure its right isnt it

Covered.. until someone inspects the firearm..!
    Also.. buying ammo could be "Interesting" :rolleyes:

right fair enough thanks for the info what about my second question

Advertisement