Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Issue of Travellers.

Options
  • 15-11-2005 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Believe me Im not a racist( I and I Hope no one makes Racist comments on this thread)but Im fed up of anyone who accuses Travellers of committing any crime instantly being branded a racist. For example the town of Ballyhaunis co. Mayo was invaded by a group of Travellers in the summer of 2004. They stole from shops dumped huge amounts of rubbish and were a general menace. As soon as the Gardai tried to prosecute them they were accused of being Racists. This type of reverse discrimination has to stop.
    I havent made any racist comments and wont so dont call me a racist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

That's right the police never hassle travellers. Oh wait they do but just the poor ones just like settled people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

you get what you give and the state give **** all to the travelling community so they can expect **** back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ratboy, the state (that's the taxpayer like me and perhaps your good self) builds halting sites and provides services like water to them at no charge to the travellers. They also provide social welfare were applicable. How you can claim the state gives them nothing is beyond me.

I will readily admit to having a disliking for all but TWO travellers I have ever met. I have met more than most of you I'll bet too, as my father's business resulted in them calling every day and I used to help out. Now, I disliked them because they were a pain in the hole to deal with, never ever ever just paying the list price, always trying to get ridiculous discounts that would cost our family business money! Then they had a much higher per capita incidence of theft from us too. Their kids were often encouraged to steal. I witnessed this with my own eyes on many occasions and it gets very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Believe me Im not a racist( I and I Hope no one makes Racist comments on this thread)but Im fed up of anyone who accuses Travellers of committing any crime instantly being branded a racist. For example the town of Ballyhaunis co. Mayo was invaded by a group of Travellers in the summer of 2004. They stole from shops dumped huge amounts of rubbish and were a general menace. As soon as the Gardai tried to prosecute them they were accused of being Racists. This type of reverse discrimination has to stop.
    I havent made any racist comments and wont so dont call me a racist.

Since when are travellers a seperate race?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ratboy wrote:
    you get what you give and the state give **** all to the travelling community so they can expect **** back.

HAHAHAHAH. Besides the fact of what they are given for free (see post above) what do they deserve exactly. they contribute NOTHING to the country, so why should they be given anything. I guarentee if i parked a caravan outside leinster house and decided to live in it, i wouldnt be left long, and I certainly would not have a hous ebuilt for me. But hey, I'm just a law abiding citizen who sbeen paying my taxes for the past 8 years, why should I get anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Stekelly wrote:
    HAHAHAHAH. Besides the fact of what they are given for free (see post above) what do they deserve exactly. they contribute NOTHING to the country, so why should they be given anything. I guarentee if i parked a caravan outside leinster house and decided to live in it, i wouldnt be left long, and I certainly would not have a hous ebuilt for me. But hey, I'm just a law abiding citizen who sbeen paying my taxes for the past 8 years, why should I get anything.

hear hear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I don't like to consider myself prejudiced, but I have to admit that I've never had a positive experience with a member of the travelling community in my entire life. I worked in a busy newsagent in Dublin city centre for three years and we had quite a few 'regular' customers who happened to be travellers. Basically, when they weren't shoplifting (and blatantly encouraging their children to shoplift), they would attempt to defraud us out of money, via the old "I gave you a £50 note, boss", when in actual fact, they had tendered a fiver. Any time we ever needed to call the gardai, it was as a result of travellers.

What really annoys me, is the apologists and organisations (Pavee Point, being a perfect example), who steadfastly refuse to admit that travellers could possibly be guilty of any crime. I've never seen any official figures, but going by my own personal experiences, I can only presume that there is a far higher rate of crime amongst members of the travelling community (many of whom are far from poverty-stricken), than amongst the rest of the population.

Again, I consider myself very liberal and broadminded, but I've yet to see any evidence to suggest that the vast majority of travellers aren't scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Stekelly wrote:

bit of a generalisation isn't it?

can any of you there tell me what percentage of the "skangers" you lot piss and moan about in After hours are travellers.

SteKelly, what makes you think that a traveller would be allowed to park a caravan outside leinster house? I believe that outside leinster house is a double-yellow line zone and no one is allowed to park outside, not even travellers.

have you ever seen a whole town close down because a member of the travelling community want to bury their dead. and that is before they even show up.

settled people have been dumping rubbish here in limerick ever since refuse collection was privatised, they just refuse to pay for their rubbish collection. Pat Kenny has a frequent feature on his show all about catching people who dump their rubbish on roadsides, in fields, and in rivers.

If you dont think you are a racist, then why do you need to back up your arguements based on generalisations?

have you ever seen a whole town close down because a member of the travelling community want to bury their dead. and that is before they even show up.

I have seen a pub that didn't lock its doors because of a traveller's funeral. A mass brawl broke out and much damage was caused. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Ray777 wrote:
    I have seen a pub that didn't lock its doors because of a traveller's funeral. A mass brawl broke out and much damage was caused. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Im reminded of the two teenagers who beat another man to death outside a pub in dublin outside a pub. I dont remember them being travellers. To close a pub because there is a risk of a fight breaking out in or around it is silly. given that most drink related brawls occour in city centres on a saturday night amongst settled people.

• Advertisement

Im reminded of the two teenagers who beat another man to death outside a pub in dublin outside a pub. I dont remember them being travellers. To close a pub because there is a risk of a fight breaking out in or around it is silly. given that most drink related brawls occour in city centres on a saturday night amongst settled people.

In the case of large groups of travellers, I think there is a higher risk of a brawl breaking out. A far higher risk. Yes, the vast majority of violent crime in this country is carried out by 'settled' people, but again, I'd love to be able to find some official statistics about the crime-rates (settled vs travelling communities), as opposed to the number of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I'd imagine that's simply because most people are settled people. Travellers always play the victims but they have the same rights and opportunities as the rest of us, they choose to let their kids go with no education and they choose to park up their caravans where they are not wanted. I don't believe they should be allowed do either of these, if I like somebody elses land I can't just stick a foundation down and build a house on it. If I claim it is a tradition, my way of life, am I suddenly entitled to do this? Or why not go one step further, if I see immigrants coming here and race becoming a hot topic can I decide that my desire to have free access to another's land suddenly makes me and those like me a distinct race?
    While there may be some decent travellers their general way of life is not compatible with modern Ireland and this means that wherever they go they will always be met with hostility. No matter how politically correct people want to be I doubt there would be many willing to have a few caravans on their front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SteKelly, what makes you think that a traveller would be allowed to park a caravan outside leinster house? I believe that outside leinster house is a double-yellow line zone and no one is allowed to park outside, not even travellers.
    Because they get away with it everywhere else. Hell, they could call it a protest, that they do't have anywhere else to stay (and they can't stay down the road, as Paddy's family lives there, and they have an on-going fued with them).

=-=

Also, in my experience, travellers are good, decent, people. Easy to get along with, and usually work in the locale, with no trouble. Up to recently (5 or 6 years ago), a group, nicknamed the "Castletown Travellers", as they parked nearby, used to come to Leixlip, to work in the summers. They stopped coming here, as the knackers would come to their site, and leave it in a mess.

The knackers have since exploited nearly every green area around Leixlip, including the carpark at the royal canal, the field where the circus just left, both sides of a bridge after it was built, and recently, the road from the Celbridge/Leixlip connection to HP. In every incident, they broke the law, by trespassing, and when they finally left, they'd leave behind as much rubbish as they could. Sinks, cookers, baths, everything. In a neighbouring region, a school had to stop using its football pitch, as the knackers were taking a sh|t on the pitch, among other things. The cost of a clean-up each time would be ten's of thousands of euro.

So whats the difference between a knakcer littering, and us littering? We'll get fined. The knackers NEVER get fined. Or even charged.

Ray777 wrote:
    In the case of large groups of travellers, I think there is a higher risk of a brawl breaking out.

oh yeah, i forgot, settled people don't congregate in large groups and your statement that the risk of incidents amongst travellers is higher is your opinion.
    A far higher risk. Yes, the vast majority of violent crime in this country is carried out by 'settled' people,

So you do agree that you are more likely to be attacked on the street by a member of the settled community. yet if one traveller walks into a bar he is more likely to not be served than a settled person.
    I'd love to be able to find some official statistics about the crime-rates (settled vs travelling communities), as opposed to the number of crimes.

the proportion of rich and poor amongst the settled people versus the travelling community would also have to be factored into your statistics if and when you should chose to find them.

@the_syco

the same could be said for the settled person who gets a five euro fine in court and the probation act because "he came from a broken home"

All criminals should be treated equally in my opinion, I just don't agree with the OPs assertion that all members of the travelling community should be penalised for the acts of a few. The OPs claims about travellers are generalisations and apart from one experience quoted, the rest of his post is based on nothing.

If we are going to go down that route, then why not criminalise being poor, or black, or jewish?

two other things I wanted to add, but the backup prevented me

1. I also disagree with the OPs assertion that the judicial system gives members of the travelling community favorable treatment.

2. I hope you were not referring to all travelers when you use the word "knackers"

I find it somewhat amusing when I hear people use words like "knacker" and "tinker," two perfectly legitimate trades, to describe people who they claim are good for nothing.

oh yeah, i forgot, settled people don't congregate in large groups and your statement that the risk of incidents amongst travellers is higher is your opinion.

A large group of settled people go to a pub after a funeral. On the same night, a large group of travellers go to another pub after a funeral. Which pub do you think is more likely to see broken glass that night?
    So you do agree that you are more likely to be attacked on the street by a member of the settled community. yet if one traveller walks into a bar he is more likely to not be served than a settled person.

Again (and this should be really easy to understand), settled people make up the vast majority of the population of this country. Going by my own previous experiences, if one traveller walks into a bar, he is more likely to cause trouble than one settled person. Those are only my experiences though. Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky, and the vast majority of travellers are really decent, law-abiding people, let down by a tiny minority...

A large group of settled people go to a pub after a funeral. On the same night, a large group of travellers go to another pub after a funeral. Which pub do you think is more likely to see broken glass that night?

you would be surprised. I have been to funerals for both travellers where glass was broken. I have also been to funerals of both communities where nothing was broken.
    Again (and this should be really easy to understand), settled people make up the vast majority of the population of this country. Going by my own previous experiences, if one traveller walks into a bar, he is more likely to cause trouble

in your opinion.
    Those are only my experiences though. Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky, and the vast majority of travellers are really decent, law-abiding people, let down by a tiny minority...

but you don't see people wanting to crack down on poor people because there is a high rate of crime in disadvantaged areas, but it is more acceptible in society to jump up and down and berate those "nasty travellers" while at the same time condemning someone for saying something bad about Nigerians because of a "small minority" involved in 419 scams.

It is obvious that we both have different experiences of the travelling community, and without solid statistics and facts, this thread is a crock of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

but you don't see people wanting to crack down on poor people because there is a high rate of crime in disadvantaged areas, but it is more acceptible in society to jump up and down and berate those "nasty travellers" while at the same time condemning someone for saying something bad about Nigerians because of a "small minority" involved in 419 scams.

Hmm. I don't think that's fair. For a start I think most people don't like crime - and as a result we should be cracking down on... wait for it... criminals. Who gives if they are poor or not? Why does that make any difference at all? I think that if a group of people, rich or poor, native or foreign, settled or travellers, are causing trouble then it's our duty to combat the problem. If they are criminals then we shouldn't have any problems labelling them as that, otherwise you are treating them differently which is prejudice.

If you are suggesting that we don't mind Nigerian criminals that much then i'm suggesting that you mentioned Nigerians and therefore must feel that there are negative conotations attached to them which you recognise, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. Why would someone mention travellers like the Op if they haven't had a bad experience with them? And if they have had a problem, then what's the matter with complaining about it?

Lastly I'd like to point out the hearsay incidence of crime associated with travellers - is not the fact that so many people here have had a bad experience with travellers (they robbed my bike for one), an indication of the wider problem? Surely if statistics aren't available then the fact that travellers have angered so many people on this thread alone? Well i reckon if you asked people here just how many times they have been robbed, the amount of times it has been by travellers and then worked out the percentage - then it would represent a WHOLE LOT more than their relatively minor percentage in the community.

Patzer

For example the town of Ballyhaunis co. Mayo was invaded by a group of Travellers in the summer of 2004. They stole from shops dumped huge amounts of rubbish and were a general menace.

Pretty much the same thing happens in my town every weekend. Except the perpetrators are youngsters on stags and hens from Cork City. Of course, noone jumps up and down and makes generalisations about Cork people or settled people because of it, but then again it's easy to demonise travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

I worked as a bar man for 7 years in a pub that regulary had travellers calling..
    in the 7 years i was there we had many funerals, weddings partys etc in.. and in the seven years there was almost never any trouble with them..

They would get pissed as farts and fall around the place, but leave when told at the end of the night and alsways left a large ammount of cash behind the bar to pay for drinks..

The only time i had any hassle was one day i caught travller kids breaking in to the pool table and robbing the cash from it.. i dragged the two of them out to the bar where there was another travller drinking (not related to the kids) he preceded to give them a good kicking after he found out what they had done, and informed there father, who paid for the damages without any hassle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ray777 wrote:
    but again, I'd love to be able to find some official statistics about the crime-rates (settled vs travelling communities), as opposed to the number of crimes.

Number of crimes + Population information == crime-rates.

Which is it you can't get? Population information, or information on the numbers of crimes in the first place?

And lets not forget that correlation still doesn't equate to causation.

On a seperate point....

To a degree, I agree with the OP, that there's too many people willing to claim oppression of some sort in order to "cheat" the system. Whats amusing is that its the flipside generalisation to the "all travellers" arguments that we're seeing being presented here.

If its acceptable for us to make generalisations that we should treat all travellers by (for whatever reason) then we're actually giving credence to their claims. Any action taken on these grounds is discriminatory...even when there is an actual case to be answered.

If its ok for us to suggest that this discrimination against travellers is an ok practice in general, then the logic follows that it must also be ok to generalise all allegations as being racist/discriminatory.

If you're going to judge on generalities, you can't complain when those generalities are reversed back in your face. Well...you can complain, but you're wrong to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They demonise themselves, if they integrated themselves at all, then maybe they wouldn't be seen in such a light. But as it is, they keep with their own group/family, don't contribute anything to society (tax, work, etc), and get special treatment from the Gardaí and the government when they break the law (something they're fond of doing). Then, whenever someone tries to accuse them of it, it backfires and they become racists. I'm f*cking sick of it, I can't stand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i agree that travellers are easily victimised but they dont really do anything to help their rep. i can only speak from my experience (south dublin), i've never had any hassle from travellers personally. there are one or two families who call to the door looking for money for the kids tea and are time and time again seen later in the town pissed out of their heads. any halting sites in my experience which have been abandoned are left in an appaulingly dirty state ie:dunlaoghaire and that are near tesco rathfarnham (i think?) by the Dodder which was completely destroyed.they also go through the skips etc but i have never had a bad personal experience with a traveller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Man I love generalisations. Travellers are bad. Ha ha ha. Makes me laugh. I know plenty of Travellers, some of them are **** heads, some of them are great, just like EVERY OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

Folks, you need to get over the stigma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ferdi wrote:
    i agree that travellers are easily victimised but they dont really do anything to help their rep. i can only speak from my experience (south dublin), i've never had any hassle from travellers personally. there are one or two families who call to the door looking for money for the kids tea and are time and time again seen later in the town pissed out of their heads. any halting sites in my experience which have been abandoned are left in an appaulingly dirty state ie:dunlaoghaire and that are near tesco rathfarnham (i think?) by the Dodder which was completely destroyed.they also go through the skips etc but i have never had a bad personal experience with a traveller.

What about a good one...?

You may not have had a first-hand experience with them, but you've seen the damage and the trouble they cause, with the fights and rubbish, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From working in a local pub, any time a knacker group came in, there was trouble. If one of them is spotted, management calls in every available bouncer. They are not denied entrance, but every time they come, by the time they leave, there is blood on the ground, and Garda riot vans waiting to take them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Simple question: If you or I raised our children in a squallor such as a halting site (with very limited access to education) then the children would be removed from us. But why is it that if they tried to apply this standard to travellers then there would be uproar about discrimination??

Admittedly, I cannot provide stats to backup my assertions of the standard of living provided to traveller children - but I can say that there's very few (if any) traveller sites that I've seen which look suitable to house a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Boggle wrote:
    Simple question: If you or I raised our children in a squallor such as a halting site (with very limited access to education) then the children would be removed from us. But why is it that if they tried to apply this standard to travellers then there would be uproar about discrimination??

Thats not a simple question.

Thats an assumption presented as fact followed by a second assumption rephrased as a question implying that it too is a fact.

You admit you can't provide stats for cleanliness amongst travelling communities. The implication would seem to be that you can provide stats for the level of cleanliess below which children are removed from the care of their parents in non-travelling communities. Can you?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

one thing i never really got - if the travellers choose to live a seperate and independent lifestyle from that of the rest of the population how can they demand benifits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

I've had regular dealings with travellers for the past 15 years and never had any trouble from them.

People have a tendency to fear and hate those who are different from them. My neighbours go into KKK mode whenever the subject of travellers comes up.

This attitude is common around the world where there is a small national ethnic group that is treated as subhuman by the majority culture. A lot of Europeans are shocked the first time they hear white australians discussing aborigines.

As for the endless myths about travellers, ever heard that asylum seekers get free cars from the state? that black people don't use toilets?

People like to believe stories that make them feel more comfortable with their hateful views.

Advertisement