Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed, injured dog

• 15-11-2005 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice about our springer spaniel. He was hit by a car on sunday,apparently at low speed after he ran out on the road.
    The local vet is away at the moment, so my mother took him to another one. He said nothing was broken, that he would probably be ok. and gave him an painkiller via injection, and a course of tablets.
    Today he's still limping badly and won't eat, so he won't take the tablets either, even when mixed with his fav. foods.
    He will be taken to our usual vet as soon as he gets back tonight or tomorrow.
    I'm away with work for the week, and out of my head worrying about him, so theres nothing I can do. I love the crazy bastard to bits, and cant even bear thinking about him being put to sleep, it would break all our hearts.
    Does anyone have any good tips or tricks as to how we can get him to take the tabs?
    Or has your own pet survived something similar, any thing we can do to help ensure he recovers?

thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

An internet diagnosis is nigh on impossible ...the vet really is the only person to give qualified advice.

If your dog absolutely refuses to eat even the best treat, you could force the tablets down gently ...whether that is really necessary is another question ...I assume these tablets are painkillers, not an actual cure.

To "force" the tablet down, you would have to place it (more or less throw it) on the back of the tongue, grab his snout, hold it closed, force back the head and stroke the throat to make him swallow ...not really a nice thing to be doing to a dog that's already hurting ...

But DO make sure he's getting enough water ...if necessary squirt it into his mouth with a syringe.

And see the vet (again) as quickly as possible.

The best of luck and good health to your Spaniel !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

tesco do a chicken paste it is their own brand and only I think 39c a jar stick the tablet in that our lot love it, but just be careful when you open the jar its veil the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks for the advice, will remember the method with the tablets(unfortunately he's well wide to hiding stuff in treats, like worm doses etc.).Parents took him to our own vet earlier, who thinks he's still in shock-gave him 2 more injections.
    Reckons he should be ok but needs x-rays etc., fingers crossed.
    All this happened because a dopey neighbour left the gate open, some people have no cop on.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

For awkward dogs I always put the tablets in a bit of butter (stops it sticking to a dry mouth) - grip the dog around the waist with your legs and lift the head back - mouth will open so put the tab in two fingers and put it as far back on the tongue as possible (without choking the dog) - they'll usually swallow automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

And good luck - I hope the dog recovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lolo2

if you need to manually give the tablets, try putting butter on the tablet as it will stick to your dogs tongue more easily and he/she will not be able to spit the tablet out easy.

IMO, the vet should have xrayed the dog. If he/she didnt then its very important that this be done. The vets in UCD are excellent, but it depends on where you are located.

My cat escaped about two years ago, got hit by a car and smashed up her leg. The emergency vet said the leg itself was broken (obviously - you could see the bone!) and put a splint on. Unfortunately, when the splint came off, because the vet had not x-rayed thouroughly my regular vet discovered that the delicate bones in her paw were in smithereens. However, my excellent vet immediately brought in an orthopedic surgeon, who inserted pins. This saved her leg. She still has a deformed foot, and cant bear weight on the leg, but she is a brave kitty and still lives life to the full.

I hope your dog is alright, and that it is something superficial.

Edited: just saw the lurcher already gave the butter tip!! It really works a treat! Also, if you can have somebody hold the dog with a large towel or blanket wrapped firmly around their body (the dogs not the assistant!) then you will be able to hold the dogs head while you are administering the tablets and the dog wont be able to twist away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thank you all for the advice,instead of the tablets we take him to the vets every 2 days for a check up/injection for the pain.
    Glad to say hes on the mend, badly bruised and still very shook, but he'll be ok.:)

Thanks again

G.

Advertisement